• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Solo6 ST6 and Neumann KH120ii

dickiefunk

Hi,

I’m still trying to decide on what to do with my monitoring setup in my studio. I will be using these for mixing and production.
I currently have the Neumann KH120’s and an Eve TS108 sub. For critical mixing I just use the KH120’s without the sub and headphones. The sub mainly gets used when playing bass guitar and e-drums at a fairly high volume. The size and shape of my room and desk doesn’t allow me to place the sub in an optimal position and because of this, I’m not sure a sub will work in my room for mixing. I have considered the Neumann KH750 but I would still be limited as to where I can place it for best results even when using the MA1 system. Also, because of the position of my sub, it is very awkward to crouch down and power it on and off as the space is very cramped. I think this would become quite tiresome having to do this on a daily basis and sometimes more than once a day! The Eve TS108 has an excellent remote control which gives you 100% control of all the features of the sub including powering it on and off!

As a result I’m thinking to have one very good pair of small monitors for mixing and just use my Eve sub for when bass players like more bass extension and volume when tracking.
/rehearsing and for e-drums at moderate volumes!
My budget is £1500.

I’ve been doing a lot of research and have narrowed my list to the Focal Solo6 ST6 and Neumann KH120ii. Both of these have great reviews and have different strengths and weaknesses.

I’ve been offered a pair of the Focal Solo ST6’s for the same price as the KH120ii’s but I can’t try before I buy do to where I live. I have read Amir’s review on here of both of these and it would appear he was very impressed with both. I have also read all the magazine and other online reviews and they are all glowing.

- Is my assumption correct regarding using the KH750 + MA1 not being a good idea in my odd room for critical mixing due to not being able to place it in an optimal position? My room is also a kind of odd L shape.

- Would I be better of using just a small pair of decent quality monitors for actual mixing without a sub?

- Has anyone else had experience with both the KH120ii and Solo6 ST6?

- What would you recommend if you could buy both at the same price?

sysfc6

帮你顶

Translated by Moderator: “Help you support”

Please use English going forward. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
D

dickiefunk

Actually, there wasn’t a lot of difference in low end extension between the KH120 and Solo6 ST6 in my room. However when I engaged my Eve sub the bass extension was quite significant.

OP
D

dickiefunk

Well then how did they compare? Do spill the beans! :)
Both are great monitors capable of great results. However, I personally preferred the Neumanns in my room. The Focal's have more presence in the highs that sound slightly un natural compared to the Neumanns. Vocal's really pop out with the KH120's but they sound a little more recessed on the Focals? The Neumann's also have more in the low mids and sound fuller. The Focals sound a little scooped in this area. Also, I found the stereo imaging of the KH120's slightly better and the "phantom center" was noticeably more solid.
Please bare in mind this is my personal opinion and that's what I felt about both pairs of speakers in "MY" room.

Top Bottom