• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Favorite Drummers

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Senri "Princess of many Strokes" Kawaguchi
Her power, flow and and especially her effortlessness is phenomenal.
Just wow - I stand in awe!!!:D

What a difference to those always superfast always superloud death metal drummers!o_O

Thanks a lot for sharing!:):):)

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For very different perspective: Martin Grubinger. Saw this Solo live few years ago - amazing how much fun one can have with a single snare!

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dave Grohl. Because he is such an epically good person and ambassador for rock and roll. And the world needs more if this!

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If we are talking subjectively, then it's simply because those are not among my favorite drummers. I respect Bonham and agree that he is very influential and talented, but there are other drummers in his era that I prefer over him. And I'm also not that much of a Zeppelin fan. About peart, I recognize him as a huge influence on many drummers that I adore (including Portnoy), but I really don't like Rush and therefore don't know him very well.
I am split on this, I like Bonham (father & son) & Zeppelin, & really do not like RUSH. I would like to hear Peart without RUSH because I can't seem to separate him from them.

orangejello

Preach. Like what Art Blakey says. If the rest of the band is better than the drummer, it's not jazz.
Billy Higgins described being a good drummer this way: I was eating dinner with my sister. She had three little kids - one on her lap. She was keeping an eye on the two older ones and urging them to eat their food, while feeding the little one on her lap, conversing with me, and feeding herself. I realized I was doing something similar when I play.

Maybe that is what Blakey had in mind. And those are the drummers that impress me. The head bangers - meh.

And then there are the Indian drummers, mostly tabla players - Alla Rakha being one of my favorites. From Wikipedia “in his obituary, the New York Times called him ’the most important tabla drummer of his generation‘. The newspaper further stated that Alla Rakha was given the title Ustad or master musician and teacher of the art of tabla playing. Alla Rakha... ’used his skill to invigorate every musician who shared the stage with him.’ “

Sound like he and Billy would have gotten along.

KSTR

Major Contributor
@LTig , Senri can play just any genre, I've seen an older video where she really hits hard in a metal band but can't seem to find it aymore.

--------

Yoyoka Sumo, started playing drums at the age of 1 1/2, did this cover (amongs dozens more) and Dave Grohl was quite impressed...

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Joe Morello, Art Blakey, Billy Cobham and Carl Palmer (the last of these is criminally underrated) for me. And of course I love Ginger Baker.

jkasch

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Billy Cobham (Jazz/Jazz Fusion)
Keith Moon (Rock) Not the most technically proficient, but most entertaining and unique, imo.

Pegwill

Of course there’s also Louie Bellson - the drummer credited with first use of double bass drums back in the ‘50s.

Here he is with the Buddy Rich big band - you will also notice that he is reading the drum part such skill - anyway enjoy

Regards to all - have a good weekend

Pegwill

The best UK drummer, played on many hit records, resident drummer for Cleo Laine and Johnny Dankworth andmany others. Here with Tony Bennet

KSTR

Major Contributor
Just wow - I stand in awe!!!:D

What a difference to those always superfast always superloud death metal drummers!o_O

Thanks a lot for sharing!:):):)
I couldn't resist, here's an other recent video of Senri Kawaguchi that was not so easy to find. It keeps blowing me away for the last few days, constantly:
Her sense and feeling what a song needs has improved so much but of course she still does a lot of what she does best; groovy dynamic precision power drumming. And you alway have the convincing feeling she totally "owns" a song.
The song itself is also great (despite the low YT audio quality), very 70'ies jazz-rock style.

From the same session:
Strange but beautiful...

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Once again Dave Grohl proves why is is such an outstanding human being and my favorite drummer.

Top Bottom