• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Favorite Drummers

Sonny1

Once again Dave Grohl proves why is is such an outstanding human being and my favorite drummer.

That little girl is a YouTube sensation. She’s a really good drummer and this looks staged. No pun.

Still, I agree, Dave seems like a super nice guy and is probably the most likable guy in Rock. He wasn’t in the same league as the top drummers in this thread but was perfect for Nirvana. Just like the late Charlie Watts was the perfect drummer for the stones.

Sonny1

Senri "Princess of many Strokes" Kawaguchi
Her power, flow and and especially her effortlessness is phenomenal.

Man! Never heard of her before the videos. Thanks for sharing. She’s a beautiful drummer and seems to be having some fun while she plays. Can’t wait to check out more of her stuff. Great style and fun player.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That little girl is a YouTube sensation. She’s a really good drummer and this looks staged. No pun.

Still, I agree, Dave seems like a super nice guy and is probably the most likable guy in Rock. He wasn’t in the same league as the top drummers in this thread but was perfect for Nirvana. Just like the late Charlie Watts was the perfect drummer for the stones.
Yes. It was staged and planned. they had a social media drum off throughout the past year and so he invited her to play with him when his tour. His willingness to connect with a young drummer on the internet and have fun with her and create a life long experience like that for a budding musician is what makes him such a great ambassador for rock and music.

Last edited:

Olli

Forum Donor

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seb Rochford is awesome, worth checking out Polar Bear and Andy Sheppard Surrounded by Sea in particular.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Philly Joe Jones is another favourite of mine, Wynton Kelly-Kelly at Midnight is worth hearing.

Ordin Aryguy

Last Saturday night I went out to a concert. It was so great to be out listening to live music again... But I digress.

The concert was Primus on their Tribute to Kings tour. They played Rush's Farewell to Kings in its entirety. I know, I know, I can hear the moaning out there already. But I tell ya, if there are any three guys in the planet gifted enough to cover Rush, it's the members of Primus. (Ok, I'll give ya that Les doesn't sound anything like Geddy!)

Through all my years of listening to music I've developed a slowly morphing list of favorite drummers. The other night Tim "Herb" Alexander of Primus got added to that list, and right up near the very top! There are few only the planet that can play Neil Peart's music, but I have to tell you Tim Alexander is without doubt among that select group. He played with complete accuracy and with real reverence to the original songs. He didn't change a thing or try to put his own mark on it. The music belongs to Neil and Neil alone, and Tim completely respected that.

I was truly blown away by just what positively amazing musicians Les Claypool, Larry LaLonde, and Tim "Herb" Alexander are. That statement is not only based on their covering of Rush's Farewell to Kings, but also of their Primus songs. Yeah, they played a bunch of Primus stuff along with the aforementioned covers. Having never seen Primus before, I really didn't know what to expect, and I certainly didn't expect to be so taken aback by the band's live show! If you get the chance, do not miss this concert while it's on tour.

Now, my favorite other drummers, in no particular order:

Dale Crover - The Melvins. Nobody pours more of himself, or energy, into a drum kit than Dale.
Check out this live recording to see what I mean -
Love e'm or hate 'em you can't deny that the Melvins are hard as hell and Dale is the heartbeat.

Jaimoe Johanson and Butch Trucks - The Allman Brothers Band. Those two are one in my eyes. The percussion section in the original Allman lineup WAS both of them. Take one away and the band would would never have become what it did. They bounce off each other, they play around one another, and they seem to read each other's minds. They truly were one. Listen, really listen to the Filmore East album and you'll understand.

Mike Portnoy - Dream Theater, Winery Dogs, Liquid Tension Experiment, and others. Metronomes go see Mike when they need to be calibrated. Secondary to that, his style is so great. Hard, fast, and absolutely perfect.

Mike Mangini - Dream Theater. This Mike is the only person that would even have had a chance at replacing the other Mike when he left Dream Theater.

Danny Carey - Tool. You all know why. I don't have to go through the words.

Dave Perkins - Janes Addiction. He's so much better than the rest of the band! I love the stutter step rhythms that are the undertones of everything he plays.

Moonhead

Last Saturday night I went out to a concert. It was so great to be out listening to live music again... But I digress.

The concert was Primus on their Tribute to Kings tour. They played Rush's Farewell to Kings in its entirety. I know, I know, I can hear the moaning out there already. But I tell ya, if there are any three guys in the planet gifted enough to cover Rush, it's the members of Primus. (Ok, I'll give ya that Les doesn't sound anything like Geddy!)

Through all my years of listening to music I've developed a slowly morphing list of favorite drummers. The other night Tim "Herb" Alexander of Primus got added to that list, and right up near the very top! There are few only the planet that can play Neil Peart's music, but I have to tell you Tim Alexander is without doubt among that select group. He played with complete accuracy and with real reverence to the original songs. He didn't change a thing or try to put his own mark on it. The music belongs to Neil and Neil alone, and Tim completely respected that.

I was truly blown away by just what positively amazing musicians Les Claypool, Larry LaLonde, and Tim "Herb" Alexander are. That statement is not only based on their covering of Rush's Farewell to Kings, but also of their Primus songs. Yeah, they played a bunch of Primus stuff along with the aforementioned covers. Having never seen Primus before, I really didn't know what to expect, and I certainly didn't expect to be so taken aback by the band's live show! If you get the chance, do not miss this concert while it's on tour.

Now, my favorite other drummers, in no particular order:

Dale Crover - The Melvins. Nobody pours more of himself, or energy, into a drum kit than Dale.
Check out this live recording to see what I mean -
Love e'm or hate 'em you can't deny that the Melvins are hard as hell and Dale is the heartbeat.

Jaimoe Johanson and Butch Trucks - The Allman Brothers Band. Those two are one in my eyes. The percussion section in the original Allman lineup WAS both of them. Take one away and the band would would never have become what it did. They bounce off each other, they play around one another, and they seem to read each other's minds. They truly were one. Listen, really listen to the Filmore East album and you'll understand.

Mike Portnoy - Dream Theater, Winery Dogs, Liquid Tension Experiment, and others. Metronomes go see Mike when they need to be calibrated. Secondary to that, his style is so great. Hard, fast, and absolutely perfect.

Mike Mangini - Dream Theater. This Mike is the only person that would even have had a chance at replacing the other Mike when he left Dream Theater.

Danny Carey - Tool. You all know why. I don't have to go through the words.

Dave Perkins - Janes Addiction. He's so much better than the rest of the band! I love the stutter step rhythms that are the undertones of everything he plays.

Tim Herb has been my favourite drummer, since listening to them at the age of 12, also dig Danny Carey and Dale from Melvins.
Soundgarden Matt Cameron has his own sound just like Dave Grohl.

Herb might have his chops from
Stewart Copeland, he really is a sublime underrated drummer.

Last edited:

Sashoir

Forum Donor
Of those I don't think have been mentioned (apologies if they have):
Dave Garibaldi
Vinnie Colaiuta
John Guerin
Harvey Mason
Tony Williams
Virgil Donati
Does Tito Puente count as a drummer?
And a couple of younger guys:
Ulysses Owens
Willie Jones

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Whoo where to start depends so much what sort of music is playd to make a choice.
lately i saw Yussef Dayes with Tom Misch i love his hard hitting rhythmic drum attitud.

Last edited:

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Whoo where to start depends so much what sort of music is playd to make a choice.
lately i saw Yussef Dayes with guitaris Tom Misch i love his hard hitting rhythmic drum attitud.

Musically very nice, and I agree with you on Dayes's drumming. But that dancing ... now I just can't get the SNL "Sprockets" skits out of my head.

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
TL;DR. . .

Apologies if already mentioned, but, Stewart Copeland.

london_r

Some great suggestions on this list... and for certain there are some incredibly technically proficient players on here. That said, whilst I love the theatrics and gymnastics behind a kit as much as the next drummer, the "art" rather than the "mechanics" are those signature patterns, that within a bar or two, you know exactly what song it is without missing a beat.

With this in mind, I have to say, Larry Mullen, Jr epitomises this and has my vote.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Mainly, I just like to hear the drums. Most of the time it seems like everything is over-compressed and mushed together.

Keith Moon (The Who) was my favorite.

But sometimes, I just like to hear a good- solid beat like maybe...
Frank Beard (ZZ Top)
Phil Rudd (AC/DC). You hear the first chord and a beat and you know it's AC/DC.
Charlie Watts (Rolling Stones)

And, even Ringo Star (The Beatles) who was never known as a "great drummer" but he had a certain style (and he was known for excellent timekeeping).

...Like most people, I usually DON'T enjoy drum solos. :p

Top Bottom