• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A dangerous situation need your help

Tewe

Hey guys
It's been 1 year since a "compensating" "alpha male" peasant has moved under my condo, and ofc he has bought a PA subwoofer in a quite hollow sounding 5x3.5m room

The fact that he keeps club levels until 4 am every day is one thing, but his sub generates resonances like HMMMMM ( 43/86 hz) so much that i have a very bad tinnitus and lot of pain in ear drums.
Ofc the police does nothing. I don't understand how he's not deaf.

I have dt 770 but if he comes and decides "it is the day!"- which is often, even thumbs in ear can't block the latino trap bass, which he shows off with great pride

What should i buy, i would appreciate a lot if they're usable for production too, not final mixing but ..something, because apart from the imminent permanent hearing loss, he has managed to inject a profound disgust for music, and music was my no 1 interests, i have synths, monitors etc.

Is there a way to mod the 770 with a material to absorb those MHMMMMMvVMM 84-86 hz and X/divisions specifically? Is there a good can that's not hell to wear like the construction site ones?
Thanks so much

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi Tewe! Welcome to ASR.

Unfortunately, passive noise isolation on headphones stops working entirely below about 200-300Hz.

If you need bass isolation (and it sounds like you do), then you would need either traditional IEMs, or active noise cancelling headphones or IEMs.

Here's an extensive list of headphones and IEMs, sorted by how well they can block bass frequencies: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tools/table/128222

If it gets really bad, then you could combine IEMs with hearing protection on top.

OP
T

Tewe

it's not the sub as it is it's resonances, even the spotify - just voice no music- in adds - have tons of sub layered under it, actually, the worst 84-86 "UHMMMM" ...well i can't call it rumble, it's like the most annoying sound you'd get by blowing into a plastic pipe/empty 2 l pet.

But i didn't post because it's annoying, but because hearing loss, i feel like i have cotton in my ears and heavy tinnitus, muffled sound

Iems i have Wan'er S.G., Hola, the little panasonics hpj125e

Thanks you so much for your replay it seems there's not much i can do besides your last sentence. Even then , if the floor is vibrating like a speaker, which it does...

staticV3

Master Contributor
Here's another approach:

Get your hearing tested and make sure that you have them print out a certified report with the results.

Purchase a UMIK-1 calibrated measurement microphone and combined with the free software Room EQ Wizard, log the sound pressure levels and sound exposure levels across multiple "sessions".

With proof of physical harm (report) and proof of the culprit/perpetrator (REW log), it should be possible to get the law involved (I hope!).

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The best noise isolating headphones out of hundreds I've had are the Hyperx Cloud Orbit with 100mm planar drivers by Audeze. The best noise cancelling is the Sennheiser HD450 which will seal out almost anything with ANC turned on. Both have memory foam that seals like suction cups.
You can call non emergency dispatch to notify police for that in most areas with a noise ordinance. Use a phone decibel meter outside his door to tell them just how loud it is.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey guys
It's been 1 year since a "compensating" "alpha male" peasant has moved under my condo, and ofc he has bought a PA subwoofer in a quite hollow sounding 5x3.5m room

The fact that he keeps club levels until 4 am every day is one thing, but his sub generates resonances like HMMMMM ( 43/86 hz) so much that i have a very bad tinnitus and lot of pain in ear drums.
Ofc the police does nothing. I don't understand how he's not deaf.

I have dt 770 but if he comes and decides "it is the day!"- which is often, even thumbs in ear can't block the latino trap bass, which he shows off with great pride

What should i buy, i would appreciate a lot if they're usable for production too, not final mixing but ..something, because apart from the imminent permanent hearing loss, he has managed to inject a profound disgust for music, and music was my no 1 interests, i have synths, monitors etc.

Is there a way to mod the 770 with a material to absorb those MHMMMMMvVMM 84-86 hz and X/divisions specifically? Is there a good can that's not hell to wear like the construction site ones?
Thanks so much

Holy hell. That sounds like a nightmare. I have no constructive suggestions separate from what you already have.

Just sympathy and a hope that you can resolve the situation.

Gringoaudio1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don’t know of any jurisdiction that doesn’t have ordinances about disturbing the peace. There must be a 10pm or similar cutoff for making loud noises. Could you find grounds to serve him with a lawsuit?? Or if he’s a renter serve his landlord?

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
I don’t know of any jurisdiction that doesn’t have ordinances about disturbing the peace. There must be a 10pm or similar cutoff for making loud noises. Could you find grounds to serve him with a lawsuit?? Or if he’s a renter serve his landlord?
Phone the police after 10 they wont tell him who complained. A couple of fines should make him think twice. Are there other neigbours that have the same problem?

OP
T

Tewe

Thank you for your kind support guys

Unfortunately i live in a country where it's you ending up getting fined cause you interrupted their sleep/weed/pay in nature etc, otherwise problem would've been solved in a timely fashion.

It's happening at 2 am, 4 am, 12 pm, it's just a peasant and his compensation issues, which is a quality that he exudes in every aspect. Reading the local reddit only reinforced this is a situation that it's increasing, and also they confirmed the police will fine you if he smells them and turn the volume momentarily

I also have to mention that this tenant is the 3-rd in a row with such refined manners, i've fallen ill and lost a lot of weight. There is no day that is mine, it's theirs. So, in other words, i cannot use the normal methods and wreck them, only lethal, and i'm too afraid that i may want to do it too much.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Locate the fuse/breaker panel for his condo and turn off the power. If he's a few beers short of a six pack (i.e. not that bright), it might take him a while to work it out. Just don't get seen by him and he won't know who did it for sure. ;)

JSmith

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You say you live in a condo, you don't specify a country but I've never heard of a condominium that isn't governed by some sort of association with rules for all owners. Where I live I would notify the HOA to deal with it and if they failed to do so it would be them I'd be suing. You say the unit has been occupied by various tenants so I guess the owner rents his unit out. He's another on the list to sue.

D

Deleted member 21219

I have no idea in which country you live, but is it not possible to seek the advice of legal counsel on this issue?

Jim

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
If you really, really want it to stop try speaking with a****** and try to enlighten him to use equal loudness normalisation and put the foam, ideally thick layer of silicone under the sub to stop most oscillations propagating to wall's.
Headphones aren't long turn solution as closed back top ANC commercially available (Bose, Sony...) solutions aren't comfortable on the long run.
Alternatively pay a gang to get him a turture ride in pimped car with 130 dB audio system on.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a wild idea but walk around and find the location where the resonance is the strongest. Then find something super heavy and position it there and see if changes the nature of it. If this is a hard floor, you could also lay some carpet over it.

DRMLFL

Hey Tewe,

first of all, I hope you are doing "well". Hats off to you and your patience for letting this to happen over a year and not killed anybody.

First thing I would recommend you to do is visit an ENT so he can perform a hearing measurement. You wrote you have the impression of a muffled sound, this would mean that the resonances must be super loud (over 85 dB). With an audiogram you have evidence about your hearing. The measurement takes 10-20 minutes.
Get yourself a spectrum analyser app and check what is happening in your room and what the biggest peaks are. Like amirm mentioned I would put something heavy on the floor and see if the resonance is changing. I think those bass resonances "must" come from the floor, so basically you would need to "free-float" in your room without touching any surface in order to not hear/feel them. Maybe he could also treat his room with some acoustic panels or software in order to flatten the sound a bit. Or the guy should just build a "room-in-room" solution with heavy materials in order to absorb the vibration caused by his speakers.
he has managed to inject a profound disgust for music, and music was my no 1 interests

This is the part that hit me the most! If nothing helps you need to get rid of this dude, or YOU have to move. You should absolutely take care of your health because apparently this guy is not capable. At the end it is about YOUR health and joy in life!
I wish I could write something else but I see only a few options for you.

All the best to you!

Repdetect

Forum Donor
I lice in a duplex. Adjoining neighbors had a "guest" that played video games (explosions) with a sub at 3 and 4am in the morning.
We (Iowa) have noise ordinances. A couple of visits from the police saved a life :rolleyes: and stopped it.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The only other idea I can think of is to offer the alpha male subwoofer isolation pads. He should be the one to get them, but maybe just start with these to start off with good will. Say that these are supposed to enhance the bass IN his room while decreasing the vibrations to the wall/ceiling.

If your country sounds as lawless as it does, a lot of the other solutions may be dangerous or impractical.

Top Bottom