• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Favorite Drummers

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Here's a topic I rarely see discussed – favorite drummers. Drums are my favorite instrument (I used to play… poorly…), and every artist/band I listen to needs to first pass the drumming test if there is any chance I would continue listening to them. The test is very simple – do I want to air drum to this?? If yes, there is a chance I'll like it :cool:.

Obviously, that means there are plenty of drummers who are my idols. I'm sure there are other drumming fans here, and I would love us to share our favorites. I'm mostly a fan of prog, metal, and occasionally jazz, so most of my favorite drummers come from those genres. Here is my list, in no particular order:

Mike Portnoy (formerly of Dream theater, Liquid Tension Experiment, and many many more) – my absolute idol. He is one of the reasons I picked up playing in the first place. I consider him the best prog-rock drummer ever. Power, technique, originality, speed, he got it all. He does not, however, have any swing.

Ian Paice (Deep Purple) – The ultimate hard rock drummer. His jazz-inspired playing always amazes me.

Tomas Haake (Meshuggah) – The father of Djent and generally the closest a drummer has ever gotten to being a machine. His playing breaks my brain in the best of ways.

Nicko McBrain (Iron Maiden) – This guy is the essence of heavy metal. Nuff said.

Buddy Rich – Only the best jazz drummer who ever lived. Nobody else even comes close to this day.

Gavin Harrison (Porcupine Tree, King Crimson) – This guy has a talent for laying down deceptively simple grooves that take all the music around them to a higher level.

Chris Adler (Lamb of God) – He specializes in tight groovy double-bass playing, and no one does this better than him.

Brann Dailor (Mastodon) – He plays at 100% all the time, with incredibly fast hands and very raw grooves and fills. And he also sings pretty well!

Danny Carey (Tool) – You can't talk about prog drummers without mentioning him. Creativity and technique to the highest degree.

Johan Langell (formerly of Pain salvation) – lesser known, but this guy had some chops. He came out with some pretty intricate beats for this very demanding band.

Thomen Stauch (formerly of Blind Guardian) – Another lesser known, but very appreciated drummer in power metal. He was fast and always played like there was no tomorrow.

Jojo Mayer – Back to jazz. This guy is insane, and his unique technique of playing drum'n'bass rhythms on an acoustic set is astonishing. So much groove.

Martin Lopez (formerly of Opeth, Soen) – Another very respected prog metal drummer. When he left Opeth I pretty much stopped listening to them because it just wasn't the same.

Dave Weckl – Another jazz legend. I am less familiar with him than I am with other drummers on this list, but his sheer prowess blows my mind anytime I hear him.

John Macaluso (Ark and many more) – Pretty niche I guess. As I understand it he is mostly a session musician, but I loved his work in Ark so much that I had to put him here. He got a very unique style with an intense prog-fusion feel.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I knew it; you were a drummer.
_____

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Without particular order:
Jon Hiseman
Neil Peart
Phil Collins (@ Brand X and Genesis)
Ian Paice (before the 80s)
Gavin Harrison (@ Porkupine Tree)
Bodek Janke

dkinric

No one mentioned John Bonham yet? For me, Peart and Bonham top the list for different reasons with their different styles. Always liked Stuart Copeland as well, especially his cymbal and high hat chops.
For heavy rock, agree with Tool drummer and also Brad Wilk from Rage Against the Machine for intensity.
I'm no drum skill expert, but these have stood out enough for me to listen to the drumming in the music.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A list of best drummers should always include Neal Peart and John Bonham .. add whomever you want to the list but those 2 , should always be part of any list of "Best Drummers" ever. Be it Rock or Jazz...
R.I.P. Neal.

P.S posted almost simultaneously Post from dkinric

Last edited:
OP
Fluffy

Fluffy

A list of best drummers should always include Neal Peart and John Bonham .. add whomever you want to the list but those2 , among the best ever , should always be part of the list of "Best Drummers" ever. Be it Rock or Jazz...
R.I.P. Neal.
Notice that I intentionally talked about favorite drummers, not best drummers. Determining who is the best is impossible and just leads to endless arguments.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Notice that I intentionally talked about favorite drummers, not best drummers. Determining who is the best is impossible and just leads to endless arguments.
Got you!! but I will fault you, to not include those 2.. How could you? ( said in a screeching voice) :D

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Steve Shelton (Confessor). I consider that their Condemned album is peak drumming, here's a training video for the title track from the man himself:

Lots of good stuff in not so mainstream metal is simply one step above the rest: the whole "fusion death" movement like Steve Flynn (Atheist), Marco Foddis (Pestilence) or Sean Reinert (Cynic, Death) and early technical death like Michael Schwarz (Atrocity), Patrick Robert (Obscura), Mikko Virnes (Demilich) or Martin Messner (Disharmonic Orchestra).
Groove metal obviously relying on the drummer very much to generate interest: Chris Nail (Exhorder), Vinnie Paul (Pantera) and Mario Duplantier (Gojira) are very good examples of this.
Other interesting drummers I can think of: Gene Hoglan (Dark Angel, Death, Strapping Young Lad, Devin Townsend, Fear Factory), Dale Crover (Melvins), Lucio Oliver & Manoel Henriques (Sarcófago), Swans in general and Michel Langevin (Voivod).

Metal aside, how come nobody said Christian Vander?

OP
Fluffy

Fluffy

Got you!! but I will fault you, to not include those 2.. How could you? ( said in a screeching voice) :D
If we are talking subjectively, then it's simply because those are not among my favorite drummers. I respect Bonham and agree that he is very influential and talented, but there are other drummers in his era that I prefer over him. And I'm also not that much of a Zeppelin fan. About peart, I recognize him as a huge influence on many drummers that I adore (including Portnoy), but I really don't like Rush and therefore don't know him very well.

Fregly

Jojo Mayer and Carter Mclean. Just them playing straight grooves or drum clinics. I've been watching a lot of that lately. Just drummers drumming no band. Mclean has a beautiful musical feel. Jojo is more of a technique monster with always playing beats I can relate to. I am not a drummer and really like listening to drummers for some reason. Very calming and mesmerising for me.

rgpit

Forum Donor
Hal Blaine, Shelly Manne, or Gene Krupa

Last edited:

dkinric

Anybody ever watch this guy on You Tube? Garey Williams is a professional drum teacher and reacts to and comments on some famous drummer performances. Here's him watching a Neil Peart solo.

Last edited:

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin, Rush, Rush, Rush, ... favorite best drummers ever ...

Top Bottom