• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Faster electric razor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hate electrics. Collected single and double edge razors for years but ultimately settled on one favorite for both my beard and head, a1945 Shake Sharp razor. Genius design.
O boY! I attempted shaving withy a single blade razor decades ago and I massacred my face. Those things are danger zone.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When I first read the topic title, I thought you were asking about those Razor scooters. :facepalm: Honest.

Oh, snap! Now I gotta worry about ethical and synthetic shaving!:mad:
202212_BadgerFake.png

Natural hair shave brushes are generally made from the coat of one of three animals: horse, badger or boar. Only horse-hair is “harvested” - during grooming process - in a manner which does not harm the animal. Badgers and boars, however, are trapped and killed for their pelts and have come under criticism for years as unnecessarily cruel. The badger-hair for shave brushes is sourced from China, in particular - where the animal is widely regarded as a pest and trapped under license there.

Next, they are going to tell me this dude was a slave-owner to make me 100% guilt-ridden while shaving:
202212_ColIchabodConk.png
:(

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I only buy Fusion 5 blade razors now because the difference is real and very noticeable.
People managed for an awful
O boY! I attempted shaving withy a single blade razor decades ago and I massacred my face. Those things are danger zone.
In the wrong hands I guess. Never had trouble. Some designs are easier to manage than others.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
When I first read the topic title, I thought you were asking about those Razor scooters. :facepalm: Honest.

Oh, snap! Now I gotta worry about ethical and synthetic shaving!:mad:
View attachment 253876
Natural hair shave brushes are generally made from the coat of one of three animals: horse, badger or boar. Only horse-hair is “harvested” - during grooming process - in a manner which does not harm the animal. Badgers and boars, however, are trapped and killed for their pelts and have come under criticism for years as unnecessarily cruel. The badger-hair for shave brushes is sourced from China, in particular - where the animal is widely regarded as a pest and trapped under license there.

Next, they are going to tell me this dude was a slave-owner to make me 100% guilt-ridden while shaving:
View attachment 253877:(
Badgers are beaucoup cool! The honey badger of course being awesome.

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Pretty sure Danny at GR Research has some upgrade kits that make electric razors work better. Upgraded caps, hand-wound transistors, heavier gauge wiring, etc. Supposedly they greatly improve the shaving experience, even though the 'after' photos following the upgrade don't look as clean as the 'after' photos prior to the upgrade. But it not about how you look -- it's about how you feel. Numbers don't tell the story.

Adaboy4z

I use these
418l3nGhAOL._SL1000_.jpg

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use these
I use those and this:
202212_4711.png

It really is the "original" acqua mirabilis and originally (1790s) pitched as a health-drink served; undiluted or mixed w/wine.
Legend has it that the disoriented French occupiers were ordered (by their general) to sequentially number all houses, around Cologne's Glockengasse area.
I splash it as an after-shave... no questions asked; since no one - but you - can really smell it.

charleski

Major Contributor
I only buy Fusion 5 blade razors now because the difference is real and very noticeable.
This is ASR! I can’t believe people have let that comment stand for 12hrs without demanding a double-blind test ;).

Here’s an old attempt at blind testing razors, it can be done!

D

Deleted member 48726

This is ASR! I can’t believe people have let that comment stand for 12hrs without demanding a double-blind test ;).

Here’s an old attempt at blind testing razors, it can be done!
Hopefully not blindfolded tests. That could be fatal.

charleski

Major Contributor
Hopefully not blindfolded tests. That could be fatal.
To do it properly you'd have to eliminate as many variables as possible. So clamp the head to keep it in a reproducible position, then use a robotic arm with precise motion control so that each stroke has the same pressure and length.
Science!

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
To do it properly you'd have to eliminate as many variables as possible. So clamp the head to keep it in a reproducible position, then use a robotic arm with precise motion control so that each stroke has the same pressure and length.
Science!

You are talking about "shaving" aren't you? I hope so. ;)

Mal

Braun Series 9 Pro...​

... gets UK Which? magaine's best buy award and accolade "best shaver we ever tested" £250(!)...

"closest shave of any we tested, and it's quick and easy to get excellent results"

Only one con: noisy. (That's a con? If had a £250 shaver I'd want everyone to know about it... :)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Hate electrics. Collected single and double edge razors for years but ultimately settled on one favorite for both my beard and head, a1945 Shake Sharp razor. Genius design.

I went through a bunch of old Gillette's, until I found I liked using a straight razor.

There is a learning curve...

0101230553a.jpg

Last edited:

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
I use these
418l3nGhAOL._SL1000_.jpg
same here
i never stopped with the ear line tho, just went over to the back of the neck
but since i manned up and let the beard grow out it now lasts twice as long...

DSJR

Major Contributor
I use these
418l3nGhAOL._SL1000_.jpg
Had my head shaved with a set of these a number of years back - looked like a cue ball and herself hated it!

In my current balding-hippy mindset, I only shave once or twice a week and the goatee gets a 'number 3' every few weeks. The 'barnet' is allowed to be unfashionably long (hides the hearing aids) and now I don't bloody care about 'looking sharp' as I don't need to any more! As for shaving the rest of my face, I have a Braun with official replacement head which pulls badly (the older heads didn't) and the regular is a cheap twin-head battery Philips (Norelco?) which is really for holidays but works so well. I don't need to put pressure on the skin to get a close result either.

Top Bottom