• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Faster electric razor

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
During the first lockdown I got this one, thinking I could maybe give myself a haircut with it. Never found the courage though.

1672586200237.jpeg

Now I use it as a beard trimmer with guard number 1/2, sometimes 1. It’s absolutely brilliant in this role.

For the close shaves I use a Gilette DE razor with Astra blades. An exercise in patience and cautiousness but well worth it.

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
During the first lockdown I got this one, thinking I could maybe give myself a haircut with it. Never found the courage though.

View attachment 253993

Now I use it as a beard trimmer with guard number 1/2, sometimes 1. It’s absolutely brilliant in this role.

For the close shaves I use a Gilette DE razor with Astra blades. An exercise in patience and cautiousness but well worth it.
With a few exceptions in the early years Gillette marketed pretty mild razors so as to appeal to the largest possible market. If you want shaving adventure try some of the pre-war 2 French razors. Have a nurse present.

Trell

Major Contributor

View attachment 253993

I bought a battery driven hair cutter spring 2020, along with a case, and have been using it since. The initial outlay is long paid for by not visiting a hairdresser, and saves me some time as well. It has three comb attachments so it's not a totally shaven head. :)

1672589886100.png

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just dunno anymore::oops:
If one-blade was okay; two-blades were good; three blades were better; 4-blades were best; and 5-blades were the bestest.
202301_6Blades.png

How, on earth, do you describe this one w/6-blades?

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
One thing DE shaving has taught me is that what matters is how you do it, not the number of blades you do it with.

StevenEleven

Forum Donor
Be sure that the impedance match between the razor and the beard is right, otherwise you'll never get a clean shave. I also remember a joke about a high-level attendee at an executive meeting of a razor company exclaiming "F*** it! We're going for 5 blades!"

Maybe you remember this? ; )

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I started using a double edged safety razor because I saw my grandfather use one with great skill. It was always a joy to watch.

I've tried lots of blades but to me the best are a mixture of sharpness and easygoing ...from an unlikely manufacturer named bic. Feather is razor sharp but I always get cuts. Bic chrome platinum has just the optimal razor type for me. It was recommended by a barber and is readily available at a very reasonable price:

In addition to that I often use a Braun beard trimmer. Must say it surprised me how easy and fast it is.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
One thing DE shaving has taught me is that what matters is how you do it, not the number of blades you do it with.
It [sure] ain't the meat [metal] but the motion!
I guess, nowadays, the new generations will learn shaving from yt, tiktok or sumsuch...

We should talk about that process anecdotally; as we either learned it from a family member or by trial/error.
My process is simple:
In the shower, while face is hot, 3-blades, soap face, up-strokes, then down-strokes; thrice a week (MWF); change razor every ~6 weeks.
Rinse; flush; repeat!

Circle-beard, eyebrows and sideburns are trimmed with an AC Wahl hair cutter/trimmer.
My NewYear resolution is to never get another "Asian haircut"! :mad:
202301_KimJong-unHaircut.png

[<< Nothing derogatory but that is what I've heard it been called.]

Last edited:

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
I started using a double edged safety razor because I saw my grandfather use one with great skill. It was always a joy to watch.

I've tried lots of blades but to me the best are a mixture of sharpness and easygoing ...from an unlikely manufacturer named bic. Feather is razor sharp but I always get cuts. Bic chrome platinum has just the optimal razor type for me. It was recommended by a barber and is readily available at a very reasonable price:

In addition to that I often use a Braun beard trimmer. Must say it surprised me how easy and fast it is.

BIC is my go-to blade as well. Usually pick them up at $8/100 on my Asia trips.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have not seen any mentions of Harry's.
They have been advertising their purchase of a German steel factory; and we all know German steel is... ummm... never a steal!
Do we have any Harry's users who are willing come out of the closet and admit it?:D

Last edited:
OP
catalogguy

catalogguy

Forum Donor
Years back, I had a plug-in electric razor. I used a small device between the razor plug and the wall outlet. It made the razor run faster. I believe it was called a Shaver Jet, but I find no mention of it online. I recall someone said it converted AC to DC, making the motor happier? Do these things still exist ? (the razor does)

So many amusing contributions! :)

My dad says the device I am thinking of is a rectifier... Does this help anyone explain what it is?

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
Good Lord. I use a straight razor and have for 50 years. If I'm in a hurry, I use a 3 blade with a cleaner. I bought them 5 years ago. I still get
a cleaner shave with my old razor than the 3 blade. Old habits! LOL I did buy new razor straps 10 years ago. The ones before that were my
Grandfathers. He was born in 1885 I still have them and they still work.

Regards

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a 20 year old rechargeable Braun Shaver, that I only use when travelling. about two or three times a year.
It works just fine, and with a full charge (original battery) I get 5 good shaves out of it!.
If Braun could do it 20 years ago, why are rechargeable DACs so bad at it these days?

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
Charging? Stahly razor don't need no charger.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20200706_182437.jpg
    IMG_20200706_182437.jpg
    348.8 KB · Views: 37

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good Lord. I use a straight razor and have for 50 years. If I'm in a hurry, I use a 3 blade with a cleaner. I bought them 5 years ago. I still get
a cleaner shave with my old razor than the 3 blade. Old habits! LOL I did buy new razor straps 10 years ago. The ones before that were my
Grandfathers. He was born in 1885 I still have them and they still work.

Regards
Does it make a difference whether you have some coffee/caffeine before handling that weapon?:eek:

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
oes it make a difference whether you have some coffee/caffeine before handling that weapon?:eek:
I have to consume a pretty good amount of caffein to cause my hands to shake. I have always had very steady hand. Unfortunately nerve
damage after a lifetime of using HEAVY impact tool can give me fits from time to time. I just pay attention to the guy with the blade. ME!
AND if my neck is actin' up. It can wait. LOL

I use to watch people that consumed alcohol shake the next day at work. It was easy to spot. I know a shot steadies the nerves but in reality
it just steadiest the nerves of those that consume spirits. The only thing booze does for me is I usually want to dance.

Olay.. Hat on the floor it's time dance Amigo. Where is that dancin' dog?

Regards

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 253993

I did the same took me 4 months to get the courage up, shouldn't have worried it was easy. Same result as going to the barbers but without the journey, the hour or so of waiting my turn to get in the chair, and the cost. Should have done it years ago.

Top Bottom