• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Faster electric razor

catalogguy

Forum Donor
Years back, I had a plug-in electric razor. I used a small device between the razor plug and the wall outlet. It made the razor run faster. I believe it was called a Shaver Jet, but I find no mention of it online. I recall someone said it converted AC to DC, making the motor happier? Do these things still exist ? (the razor does)

Reactions: Ped

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I used a 30V 5A variable power supply to power a Braun foil shaver. I overvolted the motor making it operate faster but at the expense of blade operating temp and wear.

AudiOhm

LOL...I just shave with mine...

Ohms

egellings

Major Contributor
Be sure that the impedance match between the razor and the beard is right, otherwise you'll never get a clean shave. I also remember a joke about a high-level attendee at an executive meeting of a razor company exclaiming "F*** it! We're going for 5 blades!"

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
I've not used an electric razor in decades as I always found them uncomfortable to use, but on the other hand I don't have a five-o'clock-shade either.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've not used an electric razor in decades as I always found them uncomfortable to use, but on the other hand I don't have a five-o'clock-shade either.
I use a hair clipper now for cutting my beard and the remainder is for the 5 blade manual razor if I want to be that clean cut. :D

Trell

Major Contributor
I use a hair clipper now for cutting my beard and the remainder is for the 5 blade manual razor if I want to be that clean cut. :D

So you either shave very seldom (like me) or have a five-o'clock-Santa Claus-shade. :p

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So you either shave very seldom (like me) or have a five-o'clock-Santa Claus-shade. :p
Both...lol. I shave for special occasions but otherwise it gets about as close a shave as the hair clipper will do and that's pretty close.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I recall someone said it converted AC to DC, making the motor happier?
Usually a motor is AC or DC. And with everything unknown you might burn-up the motor or shorten it's life. ...A 120V light bulb will be super-bright if you plug it into 240V but it will burn-out quickly and you might only get a "flash" out of it.

If you have rectified AC (AC converted to DC) a capacitor the capacitor will charge-up to the peak which will make a motor run faster or a light bulb glow brighter. With a regular incandescent light bulb (which works with AC or DC) you'd twice the wattage. But it might not be designed for the higher-average voltage (a regular light bulb is not).

Almost all "regular" DC power supplies already have a capacitor for "smooth" DC so adding another one doesn't make a difference, and the good ones have a voltage regulator.)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I remember the double edge razor commercials. The first one pulls the follicle out and the second one cuts it off below the level of the skin for a closer shave than single razors. Then there was the triple blade. I guess the first two pull it way out and the third one cuts it off. Now you see 5 or more blades. Man those have deep roots apparently.

Now what I really believe is the extra blades flatten or stretch out the skin a bit and five blades is like scraping over the same area 5 times with a single blade razor in one stroke.

Now I've used Norelco shavers my whole life. How many blades is that? Do the rotating blades stretch out and wind up the follicle before wacking it off? My complaint with those is each generation they turn slower and slower in an effort to have great battery life. They now don't cut as well as they once did. I wish there was some way of speeding them up. They make some with gel and other crazy features for lots more money. I just want one even at extra cost that has a big heavy battery and runs fast.

Trell

Major Contributor
I remember the double edge razor commercials. The first one pulls the follicle out and the second one cuts it off below the level of the skin for a closer shave than single razors. Then there was the triple blade. I guess the first two pull it way out and the third one cuts it off. Now you see 5 or more blades. Man those have deep roots apparently.

Now what I really believe is the extra blades flatten or stretch out the skin a bit and five blades is like scraping over the same area 5 times with a single blade razor in one stroke.

Now I've used Norelco shavers my whole life. How many blades is that? Do the rotating blades stretch out and wind up the follicle before wacking it off? My complaint with those is each generation they turn slower and slower in an effort to have great battery life. They now don't cut as well as they once did. I wish there was some way of speeding them up. They make some with gel and other crazy features for lots more money. I just want one even at extra cost that has a big heavy battery and runs fast.

Nah, the five blades version(s) have a very short distance between the blades so I'm more than a bit sceptical about their efficacy for their stated purpose of removing human male facial hairs.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I find they work better if biwired.
Does that mean one set of wires to the razor and one set to the face? I can see that. Make those hair follicles stand up and they shave off better. Patent it before Gilette does.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
With my beard hair, no razor is fast… it’s like titanium :facepalm:

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hate electrics. Collected single and double edge razors for years but ultimately settled on one favorite for both my beard and head, a1945 Shake Sharp razor. Genius design.

Attachments

• PXL_20221231_205351321.PORTRAIT~2.jpg
    PXL_20221231_205351321.PORTRAIT~2.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 71

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just went from three to five blades cartridges, no more cheapskate, its 2023.

Top Bottom