• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FAQ Questions on Audio/ASR

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacClintock

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How could it be that a very expensive hifi product reveives worse rating here than one maybe 1/100 of the cost and in which respect measurements allow me to tell why.

Last edited:

MacClintock

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why the often heard phrase "I trust my ears" is extremely misleading, often even plain wrong.

Here is my question: Given that listening rooms are so different, and have frequency response discrepancies of their own, how much stock should we put in a speaker's frequency response specs so long as they are not outrageously off balance?

Not sure if these have been posted, but:
  • Is there any benefit in using a preamp (other than more inputs) or is a DACs volume control fine?
  • Tips for room treatment and speaker positioning without needing to get a divorce
  • Conventional wisdom used to be spend more on the source; is that still relevant with such high performing inexpensive DACs?
  • Tips on system building and component matching.
Good luck!

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

sam_adams

Major Contributor
A wiki seems like a good idea until one looks for add-ons to the forum software, Xenforo, and the pickings are slim. While it would be nice to see something like keyword highlighting in discussions that point to a wiki, it would be a monumental task for our host to have to maintain an add-on that has more bugs than features with every 'upgrade'. Third-party products, like MediaWIKI, would also increase the maintenance workload for the site—not to mention the initial learning curve and implementation headaches for @amirm .

gsp1971

Forum Donor
Hi Amir,
Great idea, but it can quickly become a huge task given what has been suggested so far. :)
My input is based on what I wish I had known when I first discovered ASR, so here it goes:

ASR-related questions
  • What is ASR all about?
  • What is the "Science" behind Audio Science Review (ASR)?
  • Why are measurements important / useful?
  • Do measurements tell us the whole story about an audio component?
  • Is there a video tutorial on how to read and interpret measurements?
  • What are SINAD, Frequency Response, Spinorama, impedance, etc?
  • When shopping for an audio component, should my decision be based only on measurements?
  • Why not just walk into a hi-fi store and buy what sounds good to me?

General Audio questions
  • Music is art but audio is science. Is that true?
  • I want to buy my first audio set-up.
    • Where do I start?
    • How much money should I spend?
    • Does more money guarantee better performance?
    • How should I allocate my budget? Is it true that I should spend more on speakers?
    • How much should I spend on cables?
  • Audio dilemmas:
    • Analog or digital?
    • LP or CD?
    • Pre-amp or not?
    • Integrated amplifier or Pre-amp + Power amp?
    • Bookshelf or floor-standing speakers?
  • What is Dynamic Range and why does it matter?
  • Why is room treatment important?
  • Do I need a subwoofer?
Good luck Amir, I assume this project will probably keep you busy for a while.

GS

janbth

What is the Schroeder frequency?

What is a Spinorama?

How do you compute the Olive score for loudspeakers from a Spinorama?

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
Does not compute......Error......Invalid checksum......
interesting point, it's been awfully quiet about the Island lately, so there's my questions:

- when is it going public (c'mon, even Jared Leto had his cult followers party on an island)
- did the Savage take it over and banned even you guys from ever setting foot on it again?

1707597447096.gif

TemploAztlan

What are some good 250 wpc Class D amps?
What're the best <$20,000/pair speakers?
Why aren't there more tower speakers with external active x-over and amps?
Why aren't there more large active speakers? They seems to be mainly monitors and bookshelfs.

afinepoint

Forum Donor
Why if 1W can produce loud outputs do 300, 500, 1000W+ amps exist.

If we all hear the same frequencies why can the same loudspeaker sound differently to listeners standing side by side? Is a graph then meaningful or useful?

Explain "lossless" and it's effects on a system. Is Bluetooth lossless? Can it be? Is there an over the air signal that is?

Not arguing Class D vs A vs A/B etc but under what conditions might one be a better choice - budget, system design environmental.

Do loudspeakers wear out?

Is tape a viable source? When?

How not to build a system. Downfalls of choice and execution.

Nicolas

Forum Donor
- What is the difference between passive, active and powered speakers ?

Unless I have the wrong idea, it seems to me that the scope of possible/useful questions and answers is too big for a FAQ and would suggest a wiki or knowledge base as well.
Different endeavor, though.

TemploAztlan

What are the difficulties of measuring tall speakers with 4 or more drivers on the Klippel?
If a pair of speakers' frequency responses match closely, do they image better than those that are less well-matched?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom