• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extron XPA 1002 Plus Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 22 12.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 102 60.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 44 25.9%

• Total voters

motomech

I just scored a very nice pair of Revel 12s for $400 and need more power, so this amp seems like the way to go, or am I missing something?

My only problem is I have cognitive challenges I won't go into, so I was wondering if there's a tutorial or something similar to explain stepwise what's needed to convert my traditional wiring, both the rca inputs and speaker wires, to accommodate this amp. I just need more specific details as to how to modify and apply the cabling and wires. I see the connectors that are needed but that's about all I know. (again my apologies!)

Also, Amir mentioned programmable gain, trigger settings, etc. Is software needed for a simple stereo setup?

Anyway, I'm very intrigued by this amp option and would like to pursue it.
To just use these XPA amps to run a stereo pair of speakers is not as complicated as it first appears.
The reason we have to search for the little plastic terminal blocks that plug into the back is because when the "pro" installation monkeys remove them for an up-grade, they don't take the time and care to perserve them. Or perhaps reuse them when possible.
The 2002 you linked is a little different than the 2001 I am using and uses different pin configurations, but they are avail. Here's the ones you will need.
Inputs would be;
The speaker out-puts would be;
The nice RCA adaptors Rooskie linked will not work on the 2002.
After you get the the terminal blocks in hand, one end of an RCA cable needs to be lopped off and stripped down to bare wires so it will go into the terminal slots. It sounds harder than it is and yours would be more simple yet as there is no cross-channel balancing. The biggest prob. I had concerned my fat fingers.
Here's a YouTude vid that sort of covers what we are talking about;
Here's the users guide for the amp;
I've learned a couple of tricks on doing this and if you buy it, let me know and we can go over them.
<<<<<Also, Amir mentioned programmable gain, trigger settings, etc. Is software needed for a simple stereo setup?>>>>>
No programming other than flipping the High-pass (@ 90 Hz) switches on if want them. Gain is two screws if the back, I run mine full up, but it has half the power of the 2002. The trigger is for big system installs where the unit is unaccessible. It turns itself off after idling for a while and comes on w/ an auto function.
Besides sounding great, these things are tough as nails. You can't hurt it by crossing wires as it has very good protection. I would imagine the vast majority of used ones are fine. Plus the vendor you linked has a return policy.
The price looks good, so I would say go for it.
You do understand you will need something to control the volume? And if your source is digital (No point in using this amp if it's not), it will need a DAC in front of it. I'm using a receiver with pre-outs, so I have a built-n DAC, tone controls, balance, along the Vol. But my speakers are good enough that don't really need the tone controls, so a external DAC like the Topping SU-6 would work as well. I suspect the Revel 12's would be the same.

Last edited:

motomech

While there is not much out there like reviews, there is interesting doc.s and white papers on the Extron archives page.
I can't link it here for some reason, but it's titled;

Audio Articles & White Papers​

Sharpi31

Forum Donor
@Paulz the amplifier you linked is a 70V model. Don’t buy that for Revel 12 loudspeakers. You need a low impedance amplifier for normal low impedance loudspeakers. XPA 1002 and XPA 2004 are the right model numbers. Good luck!

nsfgp

Folks ... beware most of these Extron Pro amp you see on Ebay for cheap is for 70V Speaker systems. It won't work with normal home speakers.
Make sure you understand the differences and what you are buying.

EDIT: I am not techie enough to explain. But basically you need to have matching transformers for the speakers to adapt it to work with a 70V output amp. A good page to start: https://geoffthegreygeek.com/understanding-distributed-speaker-systems/

Last edited:

Paulz

Thank you so much for telling me that. I wondered at first but thought the one Amir tested was the XPA 1002 and it was 70V.

I'll look more into this now. BTW, do you know what the suitable voltage might be on these amps?

Paulz

Motomech, I just saw you're great post so wanted to thank you, as that is just what I needed to know. I watched a short YouTube video by crutchfield explaining how to place a jumper from the ground to the negative in the connector piece, which I think is what you described.

Alas, sharpi31 and and nsfgp just posted that 2002, which is 70V, is not suitable for my speakers, due to impedence mismatch.

What do you think?

Thanks again for that explanation

kipman725

I just scored a very nice pair of Revel 12s for $400 and need more power, so this amp seems like the way to go, or am I missing something?

My only problem is I have cognitive challenges I won't go into, so I was wondering if there's a tutorial or something similar to explain stepwise what's needed to convert my traditional wiring, both the rca inputs and speaker wires, to accommodate this amp. I just need more specific details as to how to modify and apply the cabling and wires. I see the connectors that are needed but that's about all I know. (again my apologies!)

Also, Amir mentioned programmable gain, trigger settings, etc. Is software needed for a simple stereo setup?

Anyway, I'm very intrigued by this amp option and would like to pursue it.
no this is a 70V version designed for install constant voltage speakers you want the version designed to drive 8/4ohm speakers. Check the manual on EXTRONs website for wiring diagrams. The models I have do not need software but there is a big range of models.

motomech

Yeah, I missed that it was a 70 Volt version.
As for model designations, the ones to avoid have 70 V or 100 V in the model name, where as the 4 and 8 Ohm ones either don't say anything other than the model number, or might say "Plus" or "Ultra" after the model number. Some models, like mine have Low and High impedance in the product description and some newer models are "selectable" and they are labeled "SB". If in doubt, ck the Extron web site.
The XPA 2002 is only avail. in the 70 V and 100 V versions.
I looked at the Revel 12 speakers and they have over 90 Db. sensitivity, same as my floorstanders and my smaller XPA 1002 drives them with ease, so I'm thinking it would work for you. They don't have the High-Pass filter but I would think the Revels wouldn't mind being driven full-range unless you are pushing them really hard.
If you need more power, you can buy a pair and bridge each one to mono. Two would also be the same width as a standard receiver if you need to stack on top of them.
They would use these two types of the adapors;
and

Last edited:

Paulz

Thank you for clearing all of that up for me. I wanted 2 of these bridged to mono, but really sure at this moment. They're definitely very interesting.

Thanks everyone!

Tod

I need some connectors myself, thanks for the link.

I was also noticing these which seem they would work great.

I have these and they work fine with the Extron amp.

Tod

Yeah, I saw those when searching, not sure why I didn't go with them. I think I was a little confused with the in/out, red/blue options, must be getting senile. Anyhow, I like that option better than modd'ing more RCA cables, so I thank YOU for the link.
I use these for connecting the Extron amp to a DAC. You need the blue one for input.

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does anyone know the difference between the Plus and the non-plus models?

motomech

I think it has to do with the number pins for the "trigger" terminal. Looks like four on the "Plus", where my "Ultra" model has only two. It probably increases the networking functions.
Shouldn't matter to a home system, I just leave my Extron on as it powers down after it idles for a while and powers up when it "sees" a signal.

Tod

Apparently the 1002 has less power than the 1002 Plus. There might be other differences. Specifications on Extron website.

Tod

Can anyone advise if there is a best setting for attenuation? (the 2 screws on the back)

Biblob

Apparently the 1002 has less power than the 1002 Plus. There might be other differences. Specifications on Extron website.
I searched for it, but couldn't find a Plus series, only the Ultra series, but those are different in much more ways.
Do you have a link?

Tod

I searched for it, but couldn't find a Plus series, only the Ultra series, but those are different in much more ways.
Do you have a link?
Extron.com/product/xpa1002

scroll down to a link “XPA 1002 Series (Brochure)” under “Quick Reference”

Biblob

Extron.com/product/xpa1002

scroll down to a link “XPA 1002 Series (Brochure)” under “Quick Reference”
I see thanks! So the Plus model has a benefit of providing 100W into 8 Ohms, while the non-plus model offers 60W into 8 Ohms. Both do offer 100W into 4 Ohms.

Top Bottom