• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extron XPA 1002 Plus Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 22 12.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 102 60.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 44 25.9%

• Total voters

Vandamed

I just joined to say thank you for this thread! I've had an Extron XPA 1002 (not plus) for almost a decade when my old company was pitching it after a conference room renovation. I've been using it as an amp for some background listening speakers for a while. Sadly, for various reasons I haven't been able to setup my primary system for a while (kids, WAF, space in house).

Shortly before the move that resulted in my system packed in a closet ( :( ) I picked up an XPA 4002 off ebay for about $100. My thinking was I wanted to be able to leave the big system on at all times so it could be used for background listening in the house. My problem with that was my Bryston 3B NRB amp. The Bryston is a great amp with lots of power but it draws something like 200 watts at idle. That's enough that I wouldn't leave it on unless I was going to listen. After my limited experience with the XPA 1002 I decided to try to find the high power big brother. The really low power draw is great. No need for a power switch if these draw less than 1W when not in use. I picked it up just before we moved so I've never actually compared it to the Bryston. I suspected these were quite decent amps. It's really nice to see some evidence to confirm as much.

For those looking into these things, in my searches I've noted the following:
*The numbering system is "watts-channels" So the 1002 is 100Wx2 channels (4 ohms numbers). The 2001 is 200Wx1.
*Watch out for the high impedance versions. The various XPA amps all look similar but the 70V versions aren't likely to do much for most of us. Look at the back of the amp where the green speaker connectors are. You will typically see either a 4 pin 4/8 ohm stereo connector or a 2 pin 70V connector.
*The XPA1002 is 60W into 8 ohm, 100W into 4. Since it was free and I don't crank it, the power has never been an issue.
*Most sellers don't include the connectors. Keep that in mind when buying. It took me a bit to figure out what connectors I needed the first time.
*Some of the larger models have both low and high impedance outputs. Not sure why but presumably that would be OK to ignore the 70V outputs. However, it doesn't seem like these 3 channel models are priced well enough to bother with.

I have no idea when I will be able to try but I would really like to see how well the 4002 does vs the Bryston. My hope is they sound close enough so I can sell of the Bryston without feeling I was leaving performance on the table (an odd thing to say since the stereo is packed up - family life can really put a damper on loud listening).

Anyway, thanks again for the review!

gegegege

The plus is going for $100+ on ebay now. I grabbed 2 non-plus ones to bridge them for $100 total. Also bought some phoenix connectors on ebay, the wiring looked easy enough on youtube. Wish these pro amps have remotes so I don't have to walk over to power off.

motomech

The plus is going for $100+ on ebay now. I grabbed 2 non-plus ones to bridge them for $100 total. Also bought some phoenix connectors on ebay, the wiring looked easy enough on youtube. Wish these pro amps have remotes so I don't have to walk over to power off.
They go into "sleep" mode and draw almost nothing. I just leave mine all the time.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I have Extron equipment that is about 20 to 25 years old and have been ON, 24/7 since day one. Extron stuff is build like tanks and to last decades. Usually you take them out when they get obsolete, not because they stop working.

gegegege

I have received mine, made my own RCA to phoenix connector. Now the background noise is much louder than the other amps when dialed up to max, like the behringer A800.
I can dial down the volume on the 1002 to a bit over 50% and noise will be gone.
Is this normal? Will I see improvement with a better RCA cable?

Toku

Major Contributor
I have received mine, made my own RCA to phoenix connector. Now the background noise is much louder than the other amps when dialed up to max, like the behringer A800.
I can dial down the volume on the 1002 to a bit over 50% and noise will be gone.
Is this normal? Will I see improvement with a better RCA cable?
How did you connect the RCA jacks to the inputs of your amplifier?
The input of the amplifier is a balanced connection. To use this with an unbalanced input, connect the RCA terminals to the + and G terminals of the amplifier input.

gegegege

How did you connect the RCA jacks to the inputs of your amplifier?
The input of the amplifier is a balanced connection. To use this with an unbalanced input, connect the RCA terminals to the + and G terminals of the amplifier input.
I followed the diagram on the 1002 manual.

Screenshot 2023-03-28 175128.png

Toku

Major Contributor
yes, I got 2 of them, used in bridge mode.
I understand the usage.
A common cause of noise like yours with a BTL-connected amplifier is when a speaker selector, etc. is connected between the amplifier and the speaker, and the R-ch and L-ch negative terminals of the speaker terminals are connected in common.
Do you have such equipment connected?

gegegege

I understand the usage.
A common cause of noise like yours with a BTL-connected amplifier is when a speaker selector, etc. is connected between the amplifier and the speaker, and the R-ch and L-ch negative terminals of the speaker terminals are connected in common.
Do you have such equipment connected?
Nop, the amps are connected to X3600H's pre-out directly through RCA cables.

Toku

Major Contributor
Nop, the amps are connected to X3600H's pre-out directly through RCA cables.
Yes, RCA input lines are fine.
My question was about the XPA 1002's speaker terminals and speaker connections.
If you have nothing connected other than speakers, then you have to think of other causes.
Another thing to check is does the noise change if you disconnect the input of the XPA 1002?

gegegege

Yes, RCA input lines are fine.
My question was about the XPA 1002's speaker terminals and speaker connections.
If you have nothing connected other than speakers, then you have to think of other causes.
Another thing to check is does the noise change if you disconnect the input of the XPA 1002?
indeed, noise disappears once input is disconnected, I can hear noise even if the other end of the RCA line is not connected to the receiver, but as long as I pull the input from 1002, no more noise.

motomech

indeed, noise disappears once input is disconnected, I can hear noise even if the other end of the RCA line is not connected to the receiver, but as long as I pull the input from 1002, no more noise.
I run my Extron directly from a DAC, dead silent, even at full gain.
Is your receiver and amp plugged into the same outlet?. If so, try seperating them.

gegegege

I run my Extron directly from a DAC, dead silent, even at full gain.
Is your receiver and amp plugged into the same outlet?. If so, try seperating them.
Thanks for the advice, they are on different outlets. I will try connecting them to a DAC instead of the receiver and see if it helps.

gegegege

I just discovered that one of my units has noise from the tweeter at certain frequency. I only hear it with one song and it's clearly audible. I connected it to multiple speakers and the noise is consistent. No noise from the same track with the other unit. This is quite strange, I'd advice a through test of the 2nd hand amps you get from the market.

Hi there. I'm wondering if anyone has heard a ticking noise from their units when powered on? I picked up a couple of XPA 1002 models, and they both seem to exhibit this behaviour. Makes me think that somehow this is from the PSU design.

Top Bottom