• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extron XPA 1002 Plus Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 22 12.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 102 60.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 44 25.9%

• Total voters

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For me it’s a plus - phoenix are easy to wire, simple to attach/detach, and don’t degrade the signal. Most importantly I don’t need to buy RCAs or speakons (money saved).
All of the above are definite plusses and additionally the connections are gas tight for lonegevity.

tsanguine

Forum Donor
Well, in fact, as an end consumer you can't program Extron equipment without an Extron Certified license, otherwise the software won't open. While the Extron Global Configurator Pro and GUI Designer are kinda "friendly" to use, you most definitely need some sort of certification or at least some knowledge of Extron programming to get things right.

View attachment 217105
You are correct. It's all relative and Extron is pretty easy. It's drag and drop, they offer trainings all the time and they are pretty inexpensive relative to the other offerings.
All of the above are definite plusses and additionally the connections are gas tight for lonegevity.
I love that you can quickly unplug everything and pop in a new unit. We've had a couple batches of Extron hardware fail. While it's frustrating, Extron does a great job and has even replaced multiple items for us outside of warranty. My favorite was when we had a number of A/V Switchers that had bad power supplies. Instead of forcing us to send them all back to them they send us the power supplies and let us open up the shell and replace them. Never had an A/V company trust it's users enough to do that. Made everyone happy and got fixed faster and cheaper because of it.

nagster

I was surprised that the Phoenix connector was called junk.

For most RCA connectors, the hot is connected first. Furthermore, the state where only hot is connected frequently occurs.
The conductor is exposed
There are many poor contacts
Easy to come off
There is a lot of variation in the termination work, and it takes time and effort.
There are no standards, and every manufacturer manufactures about, so there are various dimensions.

RCA connectors have no technical and reliability advantages.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Since this amplifier has a lineup of products with high impedance output of 70V / 100V, it is mainly used for paging "in-house broadcasting" in buildings, factories, schools, etc. This type of product is usually not suitable for audio applications, but the 4Ω / 8Ω models are also excellent for audio applications.
Isn’t “in-house broadcasting” an audio application?

tsanguine

Forum Donor
Since this amplifier has a lineup of products with high impedance output of 70V / 100V, it is mainly used for paging "in-house broadcasting" in buildings, factories, schools, etc. This type of product is usually not suitable for audio applications, but the 4Ω / 8Ω models are also excellent for audio applications.
We use 70v in almost every classroom since we don't care about stereo sound in the classroom. We want everyone to hear the same signal at roughly the same volume. Being able to run 70v and thereby daisy chain the speakers makes it a lot easier for the integration and wiring. When you install 10 ceiling speakers in a classroom, not having to worry about a stereo image simplifies everything so much.

Hipster Doofus

Forum Donor
Wow. what a thrill to discover a amp for such a great price…I need 2 amps for my linkwitz speakers which are bi-amped ….I almost bought 2 PA5 but that was a bit much for my forth listening set up which I never play.

thanks again

Kevinfc

What’s fascinating to me isn’t that the old stuff he tests is so crappy regardless of what it originally cost, but instead, how good the cheap stuff has become. Speakers are a different matter, but the advances in solid state are extraordinary.

kencreten

Forum Donor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Extron XPA
Great review, thanks. My problem with reviews like this is I end up almost having to buy something on principle, whether I need it or not! Heh. I bought a Topping headphone amp from one of Amir's reviews, and couldn't be happier with it, and I didn't need that either.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We use 70v in almost every classroom since we don't care about stereo sound in the classroom. We want everyone to hear the same signal at roughly the same volume. Being able to run 70v and thereby daisy chain the speakers makes it a lot easier for the integration and wiring. When you install 10 ceiling speakers in a classroom, not having to worry about a stereo image simplifies everything so much.
This is probably a dumb question but what is the advantage of 70V in this setting? The ability to link in series (or parallel?) many speakers w/o volume loss?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is probably a dumb question but what is the advantage of 70V in this setting?
Same reason power company uses high voltage for transmission. It reduces transmission line (long speaker wire) losses.

tiramisu

What a nice little find. The 2 channel version would fit very well into my 19" rack.

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A little sleeper product here (only if considering used pricing)! Not too shabby.

tsanguine

Forum Donor
This is probably a dumb question but what is the advantage of 70V in this setting? The ability to link in series (or parallel?) many speakers w/o volume loss?
For me that's the biggest one. I just need one two conductor wire that goes back to our teaching lectern and each speaker is daisy chained (series) off of the first in the drop ceiling. The fewer the wires the better. Especially when it's a retrofit and there is no nice conduit to use. There are only three of us to manage and maintain 200 classrooms across eight or so campuses so we'll take every shortcut we can get.

tsanguine

Forum Donor
This really reminds me of the Monoprice Unity. I thought that Amir had reviewed one of them but I'm not finding it. I thought I had talked about sending one to Amir at one point. I have the 100 and 200.

Monprice unity.png

tiramisu

Used pro gear is probably not all that appealing to the "I want the best-looking enclosure with the best marketing" crowd but this works for me in my dungeon. Will be looking around at other used pro gear.

Kevinfc

Used pro gear is probably not all that appealing to the "I want the best-looking enclosure with the best marketing" crowd but this works for me in my dungeon. Will be looking around at other used pro gear.
It’s pretty easy to re-case an amp if you want to make it more apealing

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
To use this with unbalanced (e.g. RCA) input, would one jumper the "-" input terminal to the terminal one labeled with the ground symbol like the way a typical RCA-to-XLR adapter is wired?

Sharpi31

Forum Donor
This really reminds me of the Monoprice Unity. I thought that Amir had reviewed one of them but I'm not finding it. I thought I had talked about sending one to Amir at one point. I have the 100 and 200.

View attachment 217208

I have both, and opened up the cases. The internals are very different and the Monoprice uses cheaper caps etc. Just in case anyone theorises that Extron are OEM for Monoprice ;-)

Sharpi31

Forum Donor
I have an XPA1002 (older version without ‘Plus’), and also one of these…… (£100 on eBay, but I’ve seen them go for £60)

Attachments

• 7FE98457-EBB1-45F7-AEA9-761A1E0BE5C2.jpeg
    7FE98457-EBB1-45F7-AEA9-761A1E0BE5C2.jpeg
    570.2 KB · Views: 126
Top Bottom