• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eversolo DMP-A6 Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 25 4.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 145 27.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 345 66.1%

• Total voters

meanbean

I would hope so. That's what I plan to do by way of the XLR analog outs. It has a dedicated pre-amp ckt. and a volume knob, so yes you can. Just use one of the analog outs and make sure the volume setting is "variable." I think it has RCA as well.

Did you end up using the eversolo as a pre-amp ? How did you get on ?

jiji

Finally got the eversolo DMP A6. + remote
Ordered with Hifi79studio netherlands and got in in 2 days with 2 years warranty. That was quick.
Package was really good so as the device.
Connected as internal DAC+ Preamp as XLR to my NAD C298 and played some FLAC files (ripped from my CD) .
First impression is i'm impressed by its clear sound. The diffeence i hear is the bass is bit tighter in Topping D90 compared to A6 Dac which is a bit exaggerated. Otherwise it sounds great. Anyway i like this bass but may be some one don't.
Preamp is really good compared to topping D90 internal preamp(passive) and this is what i'm looking for a long time.
Overall package is tough to beat (Streamer+clean DAC+Active preamp).
I'm happy with the purchase and the sound.
I will do more checks by sending the RCA out to my marantz cinema50 to hear how that sounds(through Dirac live)

Attachments

• Package.JPG
    Package.JPG
    259.1 KB · Views: 112
  • Setup.JPG
    Setup.JPG
    192.3 KB · Views: 110

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
But they both have flat frequency responses so where does the ‘extra’ bass come from?
Keith

Werther44210

Ordered with Hifi79studio netherlands and got in in 2 days with 2 years warranty. That was quick.
Connected as internal DAC+ Preamp as XLR to my NAD C298 and played some FLAC files (ripped from my CD) .
First impression is i'm impressed by its clear sound. The diffeence i hear is the bass is bit tighter in Topping D90 compared to A6 Dac which is a bit exaggerated. Otherwise it sounds great. Anyway i like this bass but may be some one don't.
Preamp is really good compared to topping D90 internal preamp(passive) and this is what i'm looking for a long time.
I will do more checks by sending the RCA out to my marantz cinema50 to hear how that sounds(through Dirac live)
@jiji, you confirm my feelings with this streamer, the DMP preamp is of a good level, in this mode, the sound is very pleasant with great clarity as you say, the bass is present, but well proportioned in my opinion because the registers (bass, midrange and treble) are balanced. Z8 DAC owners have reported being confused by the bass reproduction, I think people preferring less noticeable fast bass. As you say, it's an excellent package (Streamer, DAC and preamp) at an extraordinary price. As I listen, I find its DAC to be of a very good standard (higher than I thought), the reproduction is faithful and detailed while remaining musical. The fact that you do not report a glaring difference in favor of the Topping D90, a quasi equivalence, which is considered a very good DAC is interesting for owners of DMP A6. Thanks for getting back with your power amp in your setup.

DarkSensation

Hi Peeps,

I am here trying to seek advice as i am looking to purchase DMP-A6 as a network streamer and also connecting it to my PC for any entertainment purposes. It will output to my AudioEngine A2+ speaker. Understood that my speaker already have a internal DAC so does that make my DMP-A6 DAC redundant? It will be my first ever purchase of such device so i do not really have experience in it. Any feedback or suggestion is appreciated. Thank you.

bargainguy

@DarkSensation: Your A2+ speakers only accept USB or aptX Bluetooth input. That means you can't bypass the A2+'s internal DAC - it's the final leg of the chain before amplification to the speakers.

I'm guessing the A2+'s DAC is not up to the same standards as the Eversolo, but I haven't seen SINAD measurements of the A2+'s DAC. In any case, you're not getting the full benefits of the Eversolo's DAC if you run it this way.

DarkSensation

@DarkSensation: Your A2+ speakers only accept USB or aptX Bluetooth input. That means you can't bypass the A2+'s internal DAC - it's the final leg of the chain before amplification to the speakers.

I'm guessing the A2+'s DAC is not up to the same standards as the Eversolo, but I haven't seen SINAD measurements of the A2+'s DAC. In any case, you're not getting the full benefits of the Eversolo's DAC if you run it this way.
There's also analog input but i think everything will still need to be processed by the Internal DAC before output but if say the DMP-6A DAC converted outputs are already more superior will a inferior DAC from AudioEngine A2+ still process it? Just trying to get the understanding of things. If my understand is wrong please go easy on me hehe.

I found answers using google Bard. it will be limited by the inferior DAC since it can't reproduce the high quality signal as the DMP-6A. Any idea what desktop sized speaker is good for DMP-6A that doesn't not cost a arm or leg to introduce? hehe

Last edited:
Is it possible that you are simply hearing the audible tick from inside the A6 when inputs are changed ? It's a fairly noticeable tick, sounds like a relay, it doesn't come through my speakers.
Now, when I play with an external dac via usb connection there is no ticking sound through the speakers when I change source. Could be the update or it was just the click from a relais or something.
I have to try with the internal dac to be sure.
thanks for the reply!

Simba2585

Is it possible to install a spectrum analyser theme to use instead of the vu meters or install some additional vu meter display themes?

poxymoron

You say you hear a difference in the bass but as Keith @Purité Audio has already noted, both the DMP-A6 and the D90 have a flat frequency response. You have Dirac Live so I presume you have a measurement microphone, therefore you can test this. Run a sweep at your listening position with REW using the D90 and then do the same using the DMP-A6, and compare the results. This will confirm if you there is any difference in bass between the units. I suspect the results will be the same with each unit, providing you volume match and change nothing between tests other than replacing the DAC. It would be great if you can share the results, thanks.

Passion4Sound

Have bought the same, formatted to exFAT, works well so far, no issues.
Just a quick question, does de A6 do the formatting? Or do you have to buy a separate device to do that. Waiting on the Eversolo DMP-A6 Master Edition, somewhere this week I hope...

Passion4Sound

Have bought the same, formatted to exFAT, works well so far, no issues.
Ive seen many people bought the Samsung 980 pro NVMe SSD 2T. Did someone here buy this Samsung version with the optional heatsink? With so many words: will the Samsung 980 pro NVMe Ssd 2T with heatsink fits the A6 without any problems?

Last edited:

bkkchris

Using the A6 as a streaming transport, what would be the preferred digital output - HDMI, USB, S/PDIF, Coax? I assume the sound would be the same from any of them, but would one be preferred over another for any specific reasons? I plan to use the DMP hooked up to an Audiolab 7000A integrated which has all the above digital inputs available.

jiji

But they both have flat frequency responses so where does the ‘extra’ bass come from?
Keith
Very good question :) . I used same XLR cables and same amp(Nad C298) for both D90 and A6. Only difference is D90 i didnt used pre amp mode as i can control the volume control using my RAspberry pi4 Volumio app and in A6 i have to use the pre amp as C298 have fixed volume. Difference i have is the preamp and dont know if that can contribute to this bass difference?

jiji

You say you hear a difference in the bass but as Keith @Purité Audio has already noted, both the DMP-A6 and the D90 have a flat frequency response. You have Dirac Live so I presume you have a measurement microphone, therefore you can test this. Run a sweep at your listening position with REW using the D90 and then do the same using the DMP-A6, and compare the results. This will confirm if you there is any difference in bass between the units. I suspect the results will be the same with each unit, providing you volume match and change nothing between tests other than replacing the DAC. It would be great if you can share the results, thanks.
Sorry i sold my Topping D90 last week. So cannot make comparision sweeps now .
But i can still say that , D90 bass is tight and fast compared to A6 bass is more of prescence.
As i said in my reply to keith, only difference i have in my system is the pre amp stage in A6 , which i didnt used in D90(D90 Pre amp is just a volume control i believe). I dont know it can make that difference in bass?

kdipner

Just a quick question, does de A6 do the formatting? Or do you have to buy a separate device to do that. Waiting on the Eversolo DMP-A6 Master Edition, somewhere this week I hope...
Yes, A6 will offer you to format the drive as soon as you select it from the „Files“ menu, you simply need to choose between exFAT and NTFS.

Ive seen many people bought the Samsung 980 pro NVMe SSD 2T. Did someone here buy this Samsung version with the optional heatsink? With so many words: will the Samsung 980 pro NVMe Ssd 2T with heatsink fits the A6 without any problems?
For myself I decided to go without heatsink as I am not expecting the drive to be in use very often as I mostly directly stream from Roon. My understanding is the SSD reading only operations are also significantly less energy intensive compared to writing, therefore in my personal opinion the amount of heat generated by an SSD shouldn‘t be an issue. But I might be wrong, if there are any experts among us, please correct me.

Top Bottom