• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eversolo DMP-A6 Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 25 4.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 145 27.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 345 66.1%

• Total voters

era

@eversolo team, @mirror88:

While the last firmware addressed a number of issues, it has also brought with it I think to be a new one (as I don't recall this being an issue before).

Under Streaming > Qobuz > select an album or playlist, play the first song, and then hit arrow forward for the next song in the queue. It does not go the next song, instead it plays randomly. Repeat and it just randomly plays a song, not in the sequence in the album or playlist.

Same issue with Tidal if played through Streaming folder. As one would expect, no issue with the side loaded version of Qobuz under App.

Hope this could be looked into. Thanks.
Eki from the Eversolo team helped out. Now ok. Thanks Eversolo.

IDC

Thinking about buying either the DMP-A6 versus the Z8 DAC... For only a little bit of extra € you get the streaming functionality included in the A6. Wondering if the audio quality would be noticeably different?
I stream Apple Music, with the Z8 I would stream through USB via a iPad, with the DMP-A6 it could stream directly in 24-bit/96-192 kHz hi-res audio with phone functioning as a remote if i understand correctly, which would be more practical ofcourse. Has anyone compared internal A6 DAC versus the Z8?

Thanks!

multisport4me

Thinking about buying either the DMP-A6 versus the Z8 DAC... For only a little bit of extra € you get the streaming functionality included in the A6. Wondering if the audio quality would be noticeably different?
I stream Apple Music, with the Z8 I would stream through USB via a iPad, with the DMP-A6 it could stream directly in 24-bit/96-192 kHz hi-res audio with phone functioning as a remote if i understand correctly, which would be more practical ofcourse. Has anyone compared internal A6 DAC versus the Z8?

Thanks!

I have an A6M and compared to a Z8 and after level setting, etc. (no, it wasn't blind...I was only one testing), I found them to be identical. But I also had a bad Z8 that was emitting a 2.2kHz, barely audible, tone (bad cap?). So the Z8 was returned and now I'm playing around with a D70 Pro SABRE. I might keep it because I like the FFT spectrum analyzer and it too sounds very good (transparent) but I gotta say....the A6M as a DAC is damn good IMO. So I don't think anybody NEEDS to use an outboard DAC...its a matter of having an extra toy to play with. Imma a big kid and still like my toys. :)

Crix

Can someone please confirm if the HDMI out can output multichannel PCM which can be properly decoded by a Denon AVR when multichannel FLAC and DSD files are playing? Also, it says that Apple Music and Tidal are supported, if so, does it support Atmos music passthrough via the HDMI?

If all answers to the above are yes, then this could be the ultimate music streaming solution in a home theater setup.

Thanks
Sounds like the FLAC > PCM > AVR multichannel out works well. Still no answer to whether Tidal Atmos passthrough works though. This is the big one for me and it would be instant buy if so.

Werther44210

I have an A6M and compared to a Z8 and after level setting, etc. (no, it wasn't blind...I was only one testing), I found them to be identical. But I also had a bad Z8 that was emitting a 2.2kHz, barely audible, tone (bad cap?). So the Z8 was returned and now I'm playing around with a D70 Pro SABRE. I might keep it because I like the FFT spectrum analyzer and it too sounds very good (transparent) but I gotta say....the A6M as a DAC is damn good IMO. So I don't think anybody NEEDS to use an outboard DAC...its a matter of having an extra toy to play with. Imma a big kid and still like my toys. :)
Yes, the A6's Dac is very interesting because it offers very good dynamics, very good but not too muscular bass, analytical enough but not too much, it's not clinical or not warm, the treble of a great clarity is a delight to listen to on vocals, it's very open, you can perceive a lot of detail, a lot of nuance and space, it's a very expressive sound reproduction. None of the registers (bass, midrange and treble) is highlighted. This allows him to adapt to the most diverse musical styles, as good on current music as classical, it is by listening that we discover the potential...

Reactions: IDC

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes, the A6's Dac is very interesting because it offers very good dynamics, very good but not too muscular bass, analytical enough but not too much, it's not clinical or not warm, the treble of a great clarity is a delight to listen to on vocals, it's very open, you can perceive a lot of detail, a lot of nuance and space, it's a very expressive sound reproduction. None of the registers (bass, midrange and treble) is highlighted. This allows him to adapt to the most diverse musical styles, as good on current music as classical, it is by listening that we discover the potential...
Correct, but don't call her 'him' ;) , the smoothness ...

Werther44210

My Denon PMA-A110 is also not a romantic, soft and pleasant sounding amplifier, but it
nor can it be attributed to dry analytics or excessive precision. We can
hear some "echoes" of the Japanese school of sound, but it is impossible to ignore the undoubted advantages of this amplifier
integrated, to which - in addition to neutrality, purity and precision - I would also include a great
scale of sound, extended stereo with very good depth and sufficiently bass
massive and well controlled. That's why it sticks quite well with the DMP.

sigchld

Purchased the EverSolo DMP-A6 Master Edition based on the unbiased review by Amir on ASR. While new to the DAP/DAC game, I come from old fairly decent audio systems. After reading the review, I was convinced that this player was something that sounded very promising if it delivered on it's stated specs.

I ordered it and Amir as per everybody's experience reached out personally and provided an answer to a query that I had posted asking when the device would be delivered. I ordered the device on a Monday and I had on Wednesday the same week. BTW this device was shipped from Toronto and I am in San Diego - so really highest speed possible.

After unboxing it and integrating into my system (Streaming from Qobuz, Lossless tracks collected over a couple of decades housed on a QNAP NAS, Roon for the metadata enrichment, output through HDMI to a Denon 4300 CI integrated amp, driving Klipsch fronts, a polk audio center and 2 subs ). I also installed a 2 TB crucial gen 4 ssd and that was a breeze to install and incorporate into the sources for listening to music. Copying music to and from the device was intuitive and without any surprises.

I was excited to see what it provided. My first impression was good - but not impressive. Turns out I was not using the internal player as a source and chose external disk for source, when I changed that to internal player, set output to HDMI and set output to upscale to multichannel audio, the output was just stunning. The difference was night and day. After playing through songs that I know from a long time after repeated listening on varying levels of audio equipment quality, this device was a revelation.

Did it outperform some of the best audio systems that I have listened on - no - but my current system is not high end - so that comparison is not a valid one. I plan to upgrade my speakers soon and will provide an updated assessment when I do. However, the quality of the audio, the noise level in the background or black level, the ability to pick out individual instruments and their relative position to one another was spot on and the width and depth of the sound was nothing short of impressive. I think this is a keeper and I will be happy with it for a long time.

Finally I integrated this as a playback device on Roon and the experience was seamless. For me, this will serve my purposes for a very long time especially given the richness of formats it plays. I have a lot of SACD ISOs that play flawlessly. I have played DTS/MQA/DSD tracks and they all sounded very very good. Overall I am super happy that I got this and wanted to wait a couple of weeks to write this review - just to make sure that I was not under the new appliance spell. The app works very well too and the integration with Qobuz and Roon and also using Roon as the primary interface all worked flawlessly. Everything just works.

Want to shout out to Amir and Summit HiFi for the very personal service provided. Thank you guys. I will hopefully be a return customer.

Thanks!

Werther44210

See my last post. The AVR is receiving PCM (not FLAC) from the A6 and has no knowledge that it started out as FLAC but yes, an attached AVR can receive up to 5.1/6 ch of PCM from the A6.
Hi @glc650,
You seem to know a lot about connecting via HDMI and DMP on a multi-channel amplifier. I have a question or a confirmed point, not too technical on the subject of digital connections, on this type of interconnection the DMP sends a digital signal and does not use its DAC, so unless I am mistaken, the quality of the sound produced by the multi-channel amplifier will depend on its level of range and the quality of its DACs. Second point to confirm to me if it happens like that, intervenes in the cleanliness of the signal quality of the clock and oscillators (the latter are better on the Master version, better noise reduction), the OPAM than for the analog. Thank you in advance for your clarifications.

jmillar

Hi from Socal
I`ve just received the Eversolo DMP A6
How do I "completely" bypass the internal DAC (My Headphones don`t like the Ess one)and use the unit as a music source only
I`m using the Audeze MM500 with the Monolith gold and a marantz cd transport which I`ve used with the Sony WM1A
I can choose RCA/Coaxial or USB
I`ve tried the coaxial in (input) but it sounds the same
Thank you!
Any perceived brightness is probably due to the Audeze MM500 's slight treble bump (the MM is targeted to pro use) rather than the mythical ESS glare.
Try with a pair of LCD-X (or any other warm headphone) before you jump down the rabbit hole.

Last edited:

jmillar

“Mids are slightly forward”, if the case, how come the review by Audioscience doesn’t disclose this?
Is it because the test metode is insufficient to quantify it or?
All this is the result of a good recording (mix, master, etc) with good speakers in a good room with good acoustics in a good day in a good mood. Bliss.

Redwine

Accuphase E 4000, the top of the class AB at Accuphase, 9000 euros coupled with a DMP at 900 euros, sure it must be good, proves that this little streamer works terribly with disproportionally more expensive components, I saw that with my Denon at 4000 euros
What it proves is, that someone is generate an income from doing reviews

sigchld

Can it passthrough Atmos via HDMI from Tidal or Apple?
Not that I can see. It can pass thru DSD native. Options for HDMI output setup include 3 options ->PCM Audio, DSD audio and SACD

PCM Audio->Auto, PCM2.0 or PCM Multichannel
DSD Audio->Auto, DSD to PCM, Native (DSD Native)
SACD -> Stereo, Multichannel

jmillar

Yes, I know. I can send mch PCM from the A6 over HDMI to my Marantz as well. My point is this is PCM, not FLAC. HDMI doesn't even carry FLAC. Previous poster said his AVRs were decoding FLAC and that simply isn't the case. The AVR is receiving PCM from the A6, applying DSP, and converting to analog.
FLAC is lossless compressed PCM

Sound_freq

Accuphase E 4000, the top of the class AB at Accuphase, 9000 euros coupled with a DMP at 900 euros, sure it must be good, proves that this little streamer works terribly with disproportionally more expensive components, I saw that with my Denon at 4000 euro
What's your basis for saying it worked terribly ?

Last edited:

Werther44210

I'm not following your thought process, it was a positive review, where are you getting that it performed terribly here ?
Of course the review is positive, it was not a negative remark, the DMP achieves a high level of sound reproduction with such amps, I had the opportunity to listen to Accuphase, works with all types even the most dynamic speakers with a silky and precise treble without harshness. A benchmark in Japanese Hi-Fi. So, I was in the positive when I said that, sorry if we misunderstood....

Top Bottom