• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EQ Software for Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS/iPadOS and Android.

CTRLM

I'm using the Toneboosters EQ4 plugin with Audirvana on my desktop headphone setup.....and it's great.

I have a question that I've already asked on the Audirvana forum but no answer yet. When using EQ, I then need to apply a “preamp gain” of around -3 to -5dB. Do I apply that to the input gain (prior to EQ) or the output gain (post EQ)? Does it matter?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm using the Toneboosters EQ4 plugin with Audirvana on my desktop headphone setup.....and it's great.

I have a question that I've already asked on the Audirvana forum but no answer yet. When using EQ, I then need to apply a “preamp gain” of around -3 to -5dB. Do I apply that to the input gain (prior to EQ) or the output gain (post EQ)? Does it matter?
I've been trying to figure out how to use Equalizer APO with Audirvana but don't know how to configure. Any help would be appreciated.

CTRLM

I've been trying to figure out how to use Equalizer APO with Audirvana but don't know how to configure. Any help would be appreciated.

If that's a Windows program I can't help you. I'm a Mac guy.

Is Equalizer APO a plug-in or stand alone program?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If that's a Windows program I can't help you. I'm a Mac guy.

Is Equalizer APO a plug-in or stand alone program?
Pretty sure it's a plug in but not sure-I was able to enable it to work with VLC media player but can't figure out how to use it with Audirvana.

Monte

Neutron Player finds my TempTec dongle on my LG V20 but does not have streaming radio and does not support Spotify, Pandora or VRadio. And annoyingly, Spotify, Pandora and VRadio do not find the USB dongle. I tried a bit to get them to work until:

If I first start Neutron, start a song, pause the song, THEN Spotify, Pandora and VRadio play through the USB upon their proceeding startup. I can live with that.

Guesswork conclusion - Neutron does work in the background for foreground apps. And as I recall, the Neutron PEQ also, but I'm too lazy to check right now.

YMMV

In case you are wondering why I use the V20 with a dongle, it's because it now has a 6800mAH battery and the dongle choices are better than the V20 audio out.

Last edited:

Foxenfurter

Equalizer APO is not a plugin. It applies system wide Equalization to the devices that you specify. It is quite tricky to setup, and is best used with an add on UI like Peace - a separate application. The steps are use the configurator to add in your sound card(s) reboot. Fire up Peace and Use then change the settings and save. You can do more advanced stuff like convolution, I found it best to use Equalizer Apo to set this up and then transfer the commands over to Peace.

Once setup any sound that you play to a specific device will run through Equalizer Apo and can be tuned via the Peace Interface.

I am not an expert on this, just know enough to be dangerous. But hope it helps.

davidvilla

Audivarna use asio or wasapi direct, you can try downloading the flex asio driver to break these two direct modes and use APO , but this may introduce some latency.
I recommend you look for a VST3 plugin like roomEQ that is the same equalizer as Amir uses, there are many equalizers in VST3 that you can use.
Here you have intruction for roomEQ for audirvana.
https://mathaudio.com/audirvana.htm

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Audivarna use asio or wasapi direct, you can try downloading the flex asio driver to break these two direct modes and use APO , but this may introduce some latency.
I recommend you look for a VST3 plugin like roomEQ that is the same equalizer as Amir uses, there are many equalizers in VST3 that you can use.
Here you have intruction for roomEQ for audirvana.
https://mathaudio.com/audirvana.htm
Thanks. I'll check out the link.

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is there a way in EQ APO + Peace on Windows to take a stereo signal, convert it to mono and send the mono signal to both L and R channels?
I am trying to compare two speakers. I have two profiles in Peace - one has left channel at -30dB (almost mute) and another has the right channel at -30dB. I can instantly switch between these profiles and get only one speaker playing but I'd like to send same mono signal to both speakers.

RHO

Major Contributor
Does anyone know what target reference curve SoundID uses to EQ headphones to?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Is there a way in EQ APO + Peace on Windows to take a stereo signal, convert it to mono and send the mono signal to both L and R channels?
In Peace, hit the 'effects' button, which brings up the 'effects panel', then change the "crossfeed channels" from 'stereo' to 'mono'.
1616612830947.png
I haven't tested this myself, but that's what people online say.
Alternatively, take a look at another post, where they discuss flattening the signal to mono, using 'equalizer apo's "copy channels" function.
1616613109972.png

spacevector

Forum Donor
In Peace, hit the 'effects' button, which brings up the 'effects panel', then change the "crossfeed channels" from 'stereo' to 'mono'.
I haven't tested this myself, but that's what people online say.
Alternatively, take a look at another post, where they discuss flattening the signal to mono, using 'equalizer apo's "copy channels" function.
Yup. That's what I found and it works.

Zaireeka

Before equalizer APO I used to use Reaper for my global EQ needs. It runs on Windows, Mac and Linux, and the client is really light. During install just select the Rearoute option to create a virtual ASIO exit, so the system sound can pass thru the soft and as many VSTs as needed.

Stock plugins include a parametric EQ (reaEQ, in minimal phase) and two IR hosts (reaFIR and Reaverb) for convolution purposes. It also comes with basic metering and analyser modules.

Reaper is super stable and also a fantastic DAW...

Reactions: RHO

Volmul

Thanks to all who put effort into this site. I have been playing with equalizers for a little while after reading up on them here and am super happy with the improvements to sound quality.
I have everything running through Plex, so was happy to discover Plexamp - separate app from Plex for just music - has a simple EQ.
On my old 2009 MacBook Pro EQMac worked OK, but somehow sounded like an old tape or a slowing turntable - very strange.
I now got it to work with Hosting AU and Soundflower and my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 as external DAC to my Active Speakers.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Doodski I think we can include TDR Nova as a parametric EQ filter solution for MAC. It has a four band parametric EQ filter that can be incorporated and run within Sound Source.
TDR Nova

mkawa

Forum Donor
soundsource may cost a few dollars, but i've found it to be well worth it. i can apply an almost unlimited number of filters using AUNband and select out of a list for the endpoint i'm using at a given time. i have presets for hd800s, elex, xm4, some fourth thing (i'm not even sure what that one is) and my monitors that i can switch to with 1 click. i can also redirect application input and outputs (including zoom) in a couple clicks when macos is being obtuse about where audio is being sent and received given the multitude of devices on my mac.

NJK

I'm interested in an app or software (free or paid) that will allow the PEQ imports that SweetChaos provides for MacOS. Thanks everyone!

Volmul

I'm interested in an app or software (free or paid) that will allow the PEQ imports that SweetChaos provides for MacOS. Thanks everyone!
You can use the AU Lab as native program. I just enter EQ Settings manually. You can save multiple profiles.
Please google for setup - good advice out there already.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 10.50.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 10.50.21 AM.png
    347.1 KB · Views: 165

Volmul

Thanks to all who put effort into this site. I have been playing with equalizers for a little while after reading up on them here and am super happy with the improvements to sound quality.
I have everything running through Plex, so was happy to discover Plexamp - separate app from Plex for just music - has a simple EQ.
On my old 2009 MacBook Pro EQMac worked OK, but somehow sounded like an old tape or a slowing turntable - very strange.
I now got it to work with Hosting AU and Soundflower and my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 as external DAC to my Active Speakers.

Update on my own post:
Switched to Neutron Player on iPhone - well worth the price, especially since the Github AutoEQ settings for headphones are all in there already
On my MacBook I am now using AU Lab without Hosting AU

Top Bottom