• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EQ Software for Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS/iPadOS and Android.

noobie1

MeldaProduction provides donationware/free PEQ and convolution plugins compatible with Mac or Windows. I use MConvolutionEZ (MConvolutionMB is the paid version) and MEqualizer on my Macbook Pro.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
MeldaProduction provides donationware/free PEQ and convolution plugins compatible with Mac or Windows. I use MConvolutionEZ (MConvolutionMB is the paid version) and MEqualizer on my Macbook Pro.
Okidoki. Added to the list. Thank you. :D

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Doodski

Wanted to add this bit here for any Mac users. I use Sound Source as my EQ software for my headphones, it is a paid software but an excellent software. It comes built in with Eq profiles for headphones from Oratory, Reference Audio Analyzer, Crinacle, Inner Fidelity and headphone.com. The EQ list is very extensive and covers almost most known headphone makes and models. Additionally, I found a creative way to add parametric EQ profile of a known headphone to the software if you did not want to use the built in profile. All one has to do is create a .txt file of the parameters and load the file as a headphone profile and voila it works like a charm.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Doodski

Wanted to add this bit here for any Mac users. I use Sound Source as my EQ software for my headphones, it is a paid software but an excellent software. It comes built in with Eq profiles for headphones from Oratory, Reference Audio Analyzer, Crinacle, Inner Fidelity and headphone.com. The EQ list is very extensive and covers almost most known headphone makes and models. Additionally, I found a creative way to add parametric EQ profile of a known headphone to the software if you did not want to use the built in profile. All one has to do is create a .txt file of the parameters and load the file as a headphone profile and voila it works like a charm.
Sooper. Thanks. I added some details from your explanation to the link. :D

xarkkon

Thanks @Doodski, just installed DSP for Volumio (using rePhase for filters) and it works like a charm. Make it easy with all the alternatives laid out for you.
cool! going to give this a try as well. fingers crossed i know what i'm doing. thanks for making up this list @Doodski!

rcmo

Does SoundID actually EQs in iOS? If yes, I can't make it work. Some help please?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
'Wavelet' for Android only supports graphic equalizer (not parametric equalizer).
This is done in 2 ways:
1. Inside the Wavelet app, you can manually input a 9-band graphic equalizer
2. Inside the Wavelet app, you can use AutoEQ (actual database is here). By selecting any headphone from the dropdown list, the software will auto-import a 100+ band graphic equalizer profile, for that headphone. For example, if you select 'Sony MDR-ZX110' from the dropdown, Wavelet auto-loads the following file into memory. Of course, this happens in the background, without you realizing.

Is there any way to import a parametric equalizer profile into 'Wavelet'?
No, since Wavelet only supports graphic equalizer profiles
In other words, you can't import Amir's headphone PEQ profiles into Wavelet.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
So what's the consensus? Which is the best free one for Windows (10)?

@Doodski excellent thread and thanks for your effort putting it all in one place. :)

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So what's the consensus? Which is the best free one for Windows (10)?

@Doodski excellent thread and thanks for your effort putting it all in one place. :)
I use a ASUS EQ with my motherboard so I have not tried any of these but the Equalizer APO seems to be very popular with Win10 users.

and... there are two optional add-ons for it.
PC Equalizer is a Graphical User Interface for "Equalizer APO" which is a parametric / graphic equalizer.
Peace equalizer is a Windows PC interface for Equalizer APO.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
For Apple iOS only:
1. Neutron Music Player [Paid] has 4-60 band parametric EQ (fully configurable at any frequency) and 10-60 band graphic EQ.
- This makes it a perfect companion for Amir's headphone PEQ filters. You'll just have to enter it manually.
2. Foobar2000 [Free] has 18 band graphic EQ only.

Not sure if Apple's capability matches Android's equivalent apps, as I don't have Android...

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
the Equalizer APO seems to be very popular with Win10 users.

and... there are two optional add-ons for it.
PC Equalizer is a Graphical User Interface for "Equalizer APO" which is a parametric / graphic equalizer.
Peace equalizer is a Windows PC interface for Equalizer APO.
'Equalizer APO' gets downloaded 75k/week, while the optional addons 'PC Equalizer' got 5k/week, and 'Peace' got 19k/week.

So it seems that most people just get 'Equalizer APO' and call it a day.
Of the people who install 'Equalizer APO', only 1 of every 4 person installs 'Peace' and ~1 of every 15 installs 'PC Equalizer'....quick math!

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
'Wavelet' for Android only supports graphic equalizer (not parametric equalizer).
This is done in 2 ways:
1. Inside the Wavelet app, you can manually input a 9-band graphic equalizer
2. Inside the Wavelet app, you can use AutoEQ (actual database is here). By selecting any headphone from the dropdown list, the software will auto-import a 100+ band graphic equalizer profile, for that headphone. For example, if you select 'Sony MDR-ZX110' from the dropdown, Wavelet auto-loads the following file into memory. Of course, this happens in the background, without you realizing.

Is there any way to import a parametric equalizer profile into 'Wavelet'?
No, since Wavelet only supports graphic equalizer profiles
In other words, you can't import Amir's headphone PEQ profiles into Wavelet.
It's multi (many) points PEQ regarding database or if you want to import your own which is done by scanning 2D graph (rather complicated and same as with EQ APO) for more info refer to Wavlet help.

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@Doodski please add couple more for Android that pop out with their abilities (qualities).

Audio PEC is a room correction EQ (trial time limited without in app purchase), works good.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.desac.audiopec

Sound Tune (Pioneer) all do made for Pioneer car audio in the first place it has a 31 band EQ which is greatly implemented regarding tuch input controls.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.pioneer.mle.soundtune

Selenium is a music player with 31 band EQ and effects.
_20210126_105500.JPG
It utilise bass lib now and shows how much its possible to get out of the regular Android Audio infrastructure simply sounding better then rest of the pact (99% of music player's). The interface is unusual and needs a little bit more work.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bavagnoli.selenium

I don't know about both their availability or functionality on iOS as I don't use it but it's worth checking if you do. Best regards.

Last edited:

ririt

Also available for Apple iOS.
It's not free, and it costs US$7.99

It has Parametric Equalizer (4-60 band, fully configurable: type, frequency, Q, gain).
Do you know if it is possible to stream music from Qobuz and Eq it through Neutron before sending it to a bluetooth headphones?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Do you know if it is possible to stream music from Qobuz and Eq it through Neutron before sending it to a bluetooth headphones?
I have the iPhone app, and when I looked at adding a source, I saw this:
photo_2021-01-29_13-42-31.jpg
I'm not a streaming service subscriber, so I can't test that. I only have Spotify Free.

But I looked at the FAQ:
Q: Is there support for a streaming audio?
A: Neutron supports popular streaming directories Icecast and Shoutcast. Most likely the enormous amount of streaming stations will be enough but besides that Neutron also supports streaming of custom URLs added to the Streaming category of the Media Library by using [+] button in the bottom panel.

Custom URLs are saved to the XML file - /NeutronMP/streaming.xml. You can edit this XML file manually. You can also provide playlist with streaming entries which will work fine with Neutron. Due to advanced media library management you can push streaming entries to the Queue or other playlists, there are no limitations.

Then saw this guide on the forum:
Streaming and Internet Radio

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Question about the Neutron Music player for Apple iDevices:

I use SPOTIFY. Does the Neutron music player simply stay in the background , like EQ APO, invisible but doing the EQ works? I need my Spotify UI.

Top Bottom