• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Equalizer APO - Douk Audio U2 - XMOS

AudioLimey

Hello. I'd be very grateful for some help please...

My hifi is setup as:

Windows 10 laptop/foobar2000 -> USB output -> Douk Audio U2 -> Optical Out -> DAC/Pre-amp

In foobar, I usually have the Output Device set to "Speakers (4- XMOS XS1-U8 DJ (ST)) [exclusive]".

Everything works fine.

I've installed Equalizer APO (1.3, 64-bit) and Peace (19045-3803).

In EQ APO/Peace, I only see "Speakers (4- XMOS XS1-U8 DJ (ST))" listed i.e. no "[exclusive]", and EQ/AP is installed on that...

1704832537158.png

I switched foobar to use that too...

1704832328521.png

However, changing EQ settings (including the pre-amp level) via Peace makes no difference to the sound output.

If I switch to using different speaker outputs i.e. my monitor's speakers in Windows/Windows Media Player and EQ APO, the Peace settings do make a difference.

Q. How do I apply EQ via Peace and have the audio route via the U2?

I have tried all of the "Install as" troubleshooting options e.g. "SFX/EFX", "SFX/MFX", etc

1704833043682.png

Many thanks

Attachments

• 1704832292379.png
    1704832292379.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
It might be a good idea not to set U8 as your default sound device and route all windows sounds to another device (like Realtech) if you use the shared output.
Also,you can use one fixed sample rate with it,so choose 16/44.1Khz which is most of the music.

However if you want to use exclusive and the rest that exclusive does you can use a EQ like Mathaudio,which can strangely work with WASAPI excl and ASIO (but NOT when you play DSD).

Last edited:
OP
A

AudioLimey

Hello @staticV3 , @Sokel . Thanks for your replies....however I'm confused. I mention above that I switched from using the "Speakers (4- XMOS XS1-U8 DJ (ST)) [exclusive]" device to the "Speakers (4- XMOS XS1-U8 DJ (ST))" device.

Q. Are you saying that the "Speakers (4- XMOS XS1-U8 DJ (ST))" device is exclusive, even when it's not labelled as such?

Q. If not, can/should I be able to use that, rather than then exclusive version?

The drivers for the XMOS devices were installed from the U2 install CD.

Maybe it would help if I give you the full picture of what I what to achieve?

- I plan to buy some Adam T5V speakers
- Amir said of them "It was a tad bright so I dialed in a quick shelf filter"

I would like apply the same "shelf filter".

Thank you

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hello @staticV3 , @Sokel . Thanks for your replies....however I'm confused. I mention above that I switched from using the "Speakers (4- XMOS XS1-U8 DJ (ST)) [exclusive]" device to the "Speakers (4- XMOS XS1-U8 DJ (ST))" device.

Q. Are you saying that the "Speakers (4- XMOS XS1-U8 DJ (ST))" device is exclusive, even when it's not labelled as such?

Q. If not, can/should I be able to use that, rather than then exclusive version?

The drivers for the XMOS devices were installed from the U2 install CD.

Maybe it would help if I give you the full picture of what I what to achieve?

- I plan to buy some Adam T5V speakers
- Amir said of them "It was a tad bright so I dialed in a quick shelf filter"

I would like apply the same "shelf filter".

Thank you
It is certainly possible to play back music via Foobar and still have EQApo apply DSP to it.

I don't know what exactly is preventing this from working on your PC.

Instead of troubleshooting EQApo, you could install the Mathaudio Headphone EQ plugin for Foobar, apply Amir's shelf filter there, and then you can even use exclusive output.

Even better: there are four different EQ presets for the T5V created by ASR members that correct the speaker's response more accurately than Amir's single shelf filter:

I would load all four plus Amir's single shelf into Mathaudio, then switch between them while listening to music and keep the one that sounds best.

OP
A

AudioLimey

Sorry @staticV3 - I want to use the Mathaudio Headphone EQ plugin, even though this is specifically for speakers, not headphones?

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Your problem is weird. Did you restart your computer after having selected and configurated the device in Equalizer APO?

Anyway, there are several tools like Convolver to apply EQ in Foobar. You can create an EQ file with Rephase
If I switch to using different speaker outputs i.e. my monitor's speakers in Windows/Windows Media Player and EQ APO, the Peace settings do make a difference.
What if you select those speakers in Foobar?

I use EqAPO with Foobar ouputting on my primary sound device daily. The only thing is it must not be exclusive.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi @daftcombo . Based on the recommendations above I installed the Mathaudio Headphone EQ plugin into foobar. It worked without issue, so I kept it and uninstalled EqAPO/Peace.
Good, but how will you correct the rest of the sound of your computer?

OP
A

AudioLimey

I get your point that EqAPO covers all bases, but I trial music on YouTube. If I like it, I buy it, and then listen to it via foobar....so not an issue for me. Good point though. Cheers.

Top Bottom