• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EQ Software for Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS/iPadOS and Android.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
65CB5C13-7045-4DB9-BF9E-9C0C476369ED.jpeg

RHO

Major Contributor
Right, so this is me being stoopid.

I've downloaded Equalizer APO.

I've followed the instructions in the other master thread of Amir's recommended EQ.

But playing back music, either with Amazon HD (exclusive mode both On and Off), Windows Media Player, or Groove, I'm getting zero difference to the sound, turning things on and off.

I think I need to turn something on, or apply something, or...I don't know.

HELP! (thanks)
I hadn't used it for a while and now I notice that I seem to have the same problem.
No effect switching on or off.
It did work in the past.
Could this be a result of a Windows update?

RHO

Major Contributor

Lunafag

Install Peace and try moving the gain slider. Maybe your EQ is simply too subtle. Also try playing audio in web browser, maybe you're using wasapi or asio in your player which can bypass equalizer all.

RHO

Major Contributor
Install Peace and try moving the gain slider. Maybe your EQ is simply too subtle. Also try playing audio in web browser, maybe you're using wasapi or asio in your player which can bypass equalizer all.
Tried it all. It just won't work.
I'll try a re-install of Equalizer APO and Peace.

DeepFried

Nice list. Why is Voicemeeter listed unter Linux though? i'm pretty sure its windows only software.

Is there any prefered EQ software specifically for Jack? I see some mentioned but I wonder if someone using Jack has a preference.

Thalis

Sounds good.

Any chance you could be a bit more specific as to how to do this?

I can't find it.

EDIT: Found it. Sorry, no luck.

Thanks anyway.

In my case... I had to re-nable Audio Enhancements in the Windows Sound Settings for the DAC in order for Peace to work. Whenever I try disabling it, turning Peace On/Off had no effect anymore.

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi @Doodski :) Could you please add a new Windows app to your excellent list ?
Its name is Mega Switcher, and you could add it next to Equalizer APO, with the following mention : "is an interface for Equalizer APO, aimed at listening sessions, with 15.000 included presets"
Here is the new ASR topic : https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ftware-mega-switcher-for-equalizer-apo.24272/
Here is the SourceForge link : https://sourceforge.net/projects/mega-switcher/
Thanks in advance !
Okidoki. Added to the list. Thank youuu. :D

Jose Hidalgo

This is driving me mad.
Has anyone any other ideas?
I''m sure I must be doing something wrong. Could anyone take me through it from the start?
Cheers.
Here's a try. I don't know exactly what you're trying to achieve, but why do you have only a SPDIF interface available for your USB DAC ?
I'm no expert, but here's two other USB DACs (Topping) are seen by Equalizer APO configurator : https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?attachments/1614812686453-png.116085/ (check toppinge30 and toppingd10). No SPDIF mention at all, and they work.

Hence my question : have you properly installed the USB drivers for your USB DAC ? I guess they should be here : https://fiio.com/Driver_Download

EAPO is quite trivial actually : once your DAC has been properly detected and activated via the configurator, all changes should be immediately audible. You can make those changes either via EAPO config.txt file, or via one of EAPO available GUIs (PEACE, PC Equalizer, or the new Mega Switcher). Basically what the GUIs actually do is modify config.txt file in one way or another.

RHO

Major Contributor
I just did a re-install of Equalizer APO and Peace. That solved my problems.
All presets were preserved.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Here's a try. I don't know exactly what you're trying to achieve, but why do you have only a SPDIF interface available for your USB DAC?

The FiiO is connected by USB, not SPDIF. I think that's just the name it's given.

(re)installing drivers makes no difference.

Just found this on t'internet:

...the SPDIF support just means you can connect another DAC to the E10K via the coaxial digital point on its back and the E10K would forward the digital audio it receives to the other DAC using the SPDIF standard. This doesn't impact the E10K's function as a USB sound card in any way.

Jose Hidalgo

If the FiiO is activated like your screenshot shows, then a direct change in EAPO config.txt has to work. Let's forget about EAPO GUIs for the moment :
  • Play some music (not in ASIO/KS/WASAPI mode ! the player needs to be in a non-exclusive mode such as DirectSound)
  • Go to EAPO config folder (Program Files\EqualizerAPO\config)
  • Open config.txt (it may be empty, that doesn't matter)
  • Type exactly this : "Preamp: -15 dB" (without the quote marks)
  • Save
As soon as you save, you should hear the music be lowered by -15 dB. If that doesn't happen, then the problem is not within EAPO but within your player. It will mean that your music is transmitted from your player to your output without EAPO seeing it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom