• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EQ-ing the 250-ohm Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro

OP
A

ADU

Major Contributor
My beloved DT 770 250 ohm. I actually like the tuning of this headphone. Brightness isn't natural up top though. Mids are my favourite part. There is a dip at 200hz an 4k which disconnects the bass and treble from the mids. I like it.

Good to hear some different perspectives on this HP.

I do feel like I miss quite a bit in the music with my 770 in its default config though. With the right EQ, I think these HPs can have a pretty warm sound, without getting either too punchy in the sub-bass or too muddy in the upper bass.

I can listen to them without EQ as well. But usually find myself turning the volume down to accommodate the brightness up top. Even with some EQ to rebalance the sound, you still have to be a little careful about the brightness in the treble with these imo.

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Good to hear some different perspectives on this HP.

I do feel like I miss quite a bit in the music with my 770 in its default config though. With the right EQ, I think these HPs can have a pretty warm sound, without getting either too punchy in the sub-bass or too muddy in the upper bass.

I can listen to them without EQ as well. But usually find myself turning the volume down to accommodate the brightness up top. Even with some EQ to rebalance the sound, you still have to be a little careful about the brightness in the treble with these imo.
I listen at low volume most of the time so i like ''V shaped'' headphones more(equal loudness contour). Little dip around 200hz clears up the bass and little dip around 3.5k takes away the vocal shout (i'm very sensitive in this area, not fan of vocals:). You have all the music from sub bass to the higher treble with these. These actually have higher harman preference score than Ananda which heavily praised for it's stock tuning.
fletcher.gif

All things aside, my favourite part is the soundstage with the 770. Good soundstage with closed back headphone delivers that personal room/theater audio. Technicalities good at it's price point but doesn't hold up if you heard higher end stuff :(

Reactions: ADU
OP
A

ADU

Major Contributor
imo the Sonarworks average calibration for the DT 770 250 ohm sounds excellent. I run that at about 60% wet signal and it's just right. Turn it up to 100% EQed and it starts to sound very bizarre, flat and distorted in a bad way.

On the hand, the Sienna profile for the DT 770 250 ohm sounds terrible.

For reference this is the Sonarworks 770 measurement. I wonder though, how useful this is... for a headphone as popular and long-running as the 770, there must be so many different versions it may be very difficult to EQ without doing a good number of measurements on your own.

index.php

I'm sorry that after all this time I'm still not ready to but a button on this, and commit to one EQ curve or another. There is a fairly familiar pattern though to most of my EQ projects for this headphone, based both on my own by-ear adjustments, and using other headphones as a general guide. And it goes a little somethin like this. Whether this will work for others or not, I can't really say...

20 Hz: 1 or 2 dB above baseline
40 Hz: near or slightly above baseline
75 Hz: a couple dB above baseline
130 Hz: slightly above baseline
220 Hz: a couple dB above baseline
350 to 1k Hz: close to baseline
2 kHz: a couple dB below baseline
3.5 kHz: a couple dB above baseline
6 to 8 kHz: a few dB below baseline
9.5 to 10 kHz: several dB below baseline
11 or 12 khz & above: a few dB below baseline

The frequency and dB values above are all just approximations. And these are the values for earpads that have had some wear and compression on them for awhile. And if you use the area between 350 and 1 kHz as your baseline or 0 dB level, then you'll need to also add some type of a negative preamp to drop the overall dBFS levels of your headphone, so they do not clip at the frequencies which are EQ'd above the 0 dB baseline levels.

You'll notice that I've underlined the fact that the area around 2 kHz needs to go below the baseline. Others may disagree with this, but this is an area that I think alot of DT-770 correction curves simply get wrong. (And it appears from the image above, that Sonarworks may also fall into this category.)

Since the DT-770 is designed mainly for studio work (as a "beater"), there may be reasons why it has a bit more emphasis in this 2k range.

From a pleasure and listening standpoint though, it's problematic. Because most of the speakers, even many of the very good ones which are used for both music production and home listening, will have a cross-over between their tweeter and midrange drivers that will cause a slight depression in their in-room response in this range. And headphones that don't generally take this into account, in some way, will tend to have a somewhat harsher and flatter sound in their upper mids.

The problem is exacerbated on the DT-770 because it is more withdrawn and lacking in some warmth in the upper bass and lower mids at around 220 Hz, or so. So the net effect of these two features combined (brightness at ~2k & darkness at ~220 Hz) is that the critical midrange region often seems to be tilted or skewed towards the brighter side... Unless you are an older male who suffers from excessive upper midrange hearing loss.

The dB ranges I've listed above are more speculative towards the extremes of the frequency range btw, particularly above about 12 or 13 kHz in the treble where my hearing is more deficient, and also below about 50 or 60 Hz in the bass. So take any suggestion in those areas with a grain of salt. Some of this is a matter of taste as well, and how much "air" in the higher frequencies, or extension in the sub-bass you prefer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom