• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Exceptional values in over-the-ear headphones?

Bacchusoo7

Hi,

I know there are great deals to be had in audio from the Chi-Fi (I hope that isn't an offensive term, if so, apologies) front in terms of headphone amps and DACs as well as IEMs. Are there any well performing and well priced over-the-ear headphones that I should know about? I'm looking for stuff for studio use. Ideally suitable for overdubbing (i.e. not drum tracking etc. isolation not paramount) and playback/mixing. At the moment I have two pairs of decent headphones (AKG K371 and Sennheiser/Drop HD-6XX) but am looking to add at least another pair.

Being old school, my first thought is a set of MDR-7506s but I then I remember time has moved on. I want something easy to drive so I'm thinking about another pair of K371s or Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 ohms?) but am wondering if there are any great values out there I haven't considered.

OP
B

Bacchusoo7

Take a look at the HD560S and Hi-X60. Both are easy to drive and great value IMO.
Thanks for the suggestions. Are the HD560s similar to the 558? Because, as stupid as this makes me sound, your post reminded me that I have a pair of 558's as well. I find Sennheiser's modeling conventions confusing.

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I dunno, but for me
and
represent the best bargains.

And as you already have the k371... you have your answer re your next phones.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thanks for the suggestions. Are the HD560s similar to the 558? Because, as stupid as this makes me sound, your post reminded me that I have a pair of 558's as well. I find Sennheiser's modeling conventions confusing.
The treble is identical, but the 560S has more neutral bass and mids:
graph (41) (22).png

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hifiman he5xx or he400se are terrific and can be a bargain on eBay. Just check channel balance with a decibel meter phone app and test tone generator. 7hz Zero:2 is a winner for IEMs. I have all three and use them often. As you mention, the AKG K371 wired is really good too. All of them can be powered with an Apple 3.5mm USB adapter.

Mr Swing King

Open:
HD58X
HD560S
AR5000
DT900 Pro X
K245
HE400se
HD600/650/6XX

Closed:
K371
DT700 Pro X
SRH840a
NTH-100

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
At the moment I have two pairs of decent headphones (AKG K371 and Sennheiser/Drop HD-6XX) but am looking to add at least another pair.
It depends on what kind of difference you're looking for... Most of the "sound characteristic" is frequency response and you can compare the curves here as long as the headphones you're considering have been reviewed here. (It's best to compare measurements from the same "lab".) Or of course you can EQ the frequency response, except that boosting the bass can sometimes push the headphones or headphone amp into distortion.

Or there are other factors, like maybe you prefer open or closed, or maybe you want a pair of both. And comfort is a personal thing. Of course you can consider appearance and "build quality". (The K371 seems to have a reputation of being fragile... I haven't broken mine yet, and they aren't super expensive so if they break I can replace them.)

Top Bottom