• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Summary Recommendations:
  • Install Equalizer APO and use it to disable original APOs and set EAPO's preamp gain at ~ -4 dB to avoid upsample overs, filtering induced peaks, and the Windows CAudioLimiter
  • Set Windows audio to 24 bits so that it's added dither doesn't compromise dynamic range
  • Set Windows sample rate to the same rate as the native file, or to 96 kHz if you play back high resolution material
  • Turn off Windows system sounds and enhancements
  • Install "remote desktop" for "Spotify Connect"-like added convenience, for all your digital sources
  • Take the money saved and buy more music, better speakers and a few bottles of wine

Anyone care to say more about how to implement this I'll get my new PC in a month :)

• Set Windows audio to 24 bits so that it's added dither doesn't compromise dynamic range ?? how
  • Set Windows sample rate to the same rate as the native file, or to 96 kHz if you play back high resolution material ?? how
  • Turn off Windows system sounds and enhancements ?? how
  • What software player is recommended thats plays nice with EqAPO and can it be used with ASIO or WASAPI or could is it just not needed . Could the uppsampling to 24/96 for music use be done in the playback software at the same time as windows is set to 24/96 even if windows got good enogh , i suspect some third party applications are even better

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone care to say more about how to implement this I'll get my new PC in a month :)

• Set Windows audio to 24 bits so that it's added dither doesn't compromise dynamic range ?? how
  • Set Windows sample rate to the same rate as the native file, or to 96 kHz if you play back high resolution material ?? how
  • Turn off Windows system sounds and enhancements ?? how
  • What software player is recommended thats plays nice with EqAPO and can it be used with ASIO or WASAPI or could is it just not needed . Could the uppsampling to 24/96 for music use be done in the playback software at the same time as windows is set to 24/96 even if windows got good enogh , i suspect some third party applications are even better
Are you using Win10? If not what are you using?

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you using Win10? If not what are you using?

I will be using Win 10 , many moons ago like 20 years ago i was a big fan of foobar2000 .
I have now used a LMS music server for about >10 years and i wiil continue to use that .
Plan is to Move only my headphone listening to the computer as my phones gets no use where they are now.
Hence abandoning the server node for the phones to use EqAPO :) .. Topping D70 is on its way I have an old Violectric V90 and a pair of Senheiser HD650

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
To set the bit rate use this>
Desktop sound option.png

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
To disable/enable audio enhancements. This will be very close or the same as my PC. Make sure you select the correct audio device you are changing the setting for. (NOTE: When you do that Equalizer Apo won't work.) Do this>
Desktop sound options 2.png

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
As per this.>
I don't know the solution for this. Perhaps another peep can help you. :D

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As per this.>
I don't know the solution for this. Perhaps another peep can help you. :D

Thankyou nice write up :) have not used windows audio since kernel streaming was a thing , have fiddled with these settings when the kids gaming computers act up but never wondered about the quality aspects . For their perspective it's good when they can shout at their friends online :D

bennetng

Major Contributor
Could the uppsampling to 24/96 for music use be done in the playback software at the same time as windows is set to 24/96 even if windows got good enogh , i suspect some third party applications are even better
foobar2000 does it automatically out of the box, with the bundled SSRC resampler. If the source sample rate is different from the driver's sample rate, it will be automatically resampled to the driver's sample rate. That means, there is no need to add another resampler in foobar2000's DSP manager. If you have another resampler plugin installed, you can configure it here:
src.png

I've tested these resamplers. Search for "It has two bundled resamplers" in this article for the tests.
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2019/06/guest-post-why-we-should-use-software.html

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
foobar2000 does it automatically out of the box, with the bundled SSRC resampler. If the source sample rate is different from the driver's sample rate, it will be automatically resampled to the driver's sample rate. That means, there is no need to add another resampler in foobar2000's DSP manager. If you have another resampler plugin installed, you can configure it here:
View attachment 107731

I've tested these resamplers. Search for "It has two bundled resamplers" in this article for the tests.
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2019/06/guest-post-why-we-should-use-software.html
Nice , I assuemthat windoes is smart enough to not apply any uppsampling if it recieves the correct rate from the playback software .

For spotify I'm content to have windows doing it.

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
To disable/enable audio enhancements. This will be very close or the same as my PC. Make sure you select the correct audio device you are changing the setting for. Do this>
When you do that Equalizer Apo isnt working anymore btw.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@ninetylol I made a notation of your post #92 at my post #86 regarding the enhancement disable/enable so that any peeps using it will know in advance.

bennetng

Major Contributor

ninetylol

Btw regarding the testclips a.mp3 and b.mp3.

foobar is not just the only player removing the distortion from file a.mp3, its also the only volume control (inside the player) which restores dynamic range.

You can check it with peace in the vu meter. If you lower windows or EAPO(preamp) volume dynamic range is 0 since the vu meter is always full.
When you lower volume inside foobar dynamic range comes back (vu meter jumps up and down).

From this info i would say EAPO preamp shouldnt work like its advertised in OPs first post.

bennetng

Major Contributor
Btw regarding the testclips a.mp3 and b.mp3.

foobar is not just the only player removing the distortion from file a.mp3, its also the only volume control (inside the player) which restores dynamic range.

You can check it with peace in the vu meter. If you lower windows or EAPO(preamp) volume dynamic range is 0 since the vu meter is always full.
When you lower volume inside foobar dynamic range comes back (vu meter jumps up and down).

From this info i would say EAPO preamp shouldnt work like its advertised in OPs first post.
Did you try MPC-HC? I don't use EQ APO, but the player's built-in volume control does not clip in my setup.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...indows-audio-quality-debate.19438/post-643579

Could you list the other players you tried that failed the test as well?

ninetylol

Top Bottom