• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

End Game Stereo

OP
MikeFromNorway
Hi guys.
Busy days. I will comment on your replies and ideas soon. I also had the great pleasure to pay Sigberg Audio a visit. A fantastic demo of both the current production line and the prototype.

I have no affiliations with him or his company but if you guys haven’t heard of him you should check out his web page and the Developer thread here on ASF

A subjective review will be posted soon!

OP
MikeFromNorway
Another contender has come up!

KS Digital C-120 Coax​

I love the Looks and the specs seem great. Just can’t find a lot info on the web.

Any thoughts?

OP
MikeFromNorway
The way I address this problem is to live in the past. I am on about a decade delay. I buy what was state of the art 10 years ago and for which everyone paid nosebleed prices then and I get for pennies. As they say, Ignorance is Bliss. Sounds damn nice to my ignorant ears. And no buyer’s remorse. And if there is, I just resell - sometimes at a profit because I’m patient about buying at a good price.

Not sure this is OT or not. Don’t feel it is. Because sometimes the best advice is to just to do nothing. Those Forsman D2’s look pretty nice. What’s your plans for them? ;-)
Sounds very familiar. This has been my path from the beginning in 1994. I have never bought anything brand new. Demo-models is the closest. The usec HI-FI marked in Norway is insane. In a positive way. People change systems like clothes. There are currently almost 10 000 used audio products for sale ranging from 1million dollars (Kharma Enigma Veyron) for a set of speakers to 10dollars for some used cables.

Used audio gear for sale in Norway.

My Forsman D2’s (which I bought as a demo model, exchanged from the D2-8s, also demo model) will end up on the posted site for sale as well...

Speaking of such. It's hard to find used "high-end" studio monitors for sale, but for sure the subs will be bought used.

Used subs ++ for sale in Norway:

OP
MikeFromNorway
I would definitely give them a close look. Damn they look good!

Have you considered ME Geithein?
Yes, don't they. Sexy as shit. Aquired taste for some I guess.
Yes, the Geithein have been considered, though too expensive, with subs you're in the Kii 3 league... a leage too expensive for me.
Not sure the gain is justified either. Exept for the looks...

4a91c82633f58187bc4e2de461951993.jpg

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I've no idea how this set-up compares sonically to any of your earlier suggestions, and I don't usually like the look of monitors orientated "landscape", but I really like how this Neumann set-up looks on the low stands:

1643637910945.png

nstzya

What are the small bookshelf's on either corner of the TV? Dual centers?

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
What are the small bookshelf's on either corner of the TV? Dual centers?
I have no idea, maybe just a secondary set of speakers for late night or non critical listening where you might not need or want too much bass.

I have something similar for my desk set-up, I have a set of large-ish active monitors and a subwoofer under the desk, but I also have a set of mini monitors: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/iloudmm/?pkey=iloud-micro-monitor

If I'm just listening to podcasts or watching YouTube, I'll use the little mini monitors rather than the "big speakers".

nstzya

I have no idea, maybe just a secondary set of speakers for late night or non critical listening where you might not need or want too much bass.

I have something similar for my desk set-up, I have a set of large-ish active monitors and a subwoofer under the desk, but I also have a set of mini monitors: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/iloudmm/?pkey=iloud-micro-monitor

If I'm just listening to podcasts or watching YouTube, I'll use the little mini monitors rather than the "big speakers".

Interesting. But I agree that the setup is attractive and the stands - which look almost as if they could be end tables - suit it perfectly. Watch them turn out to be dedicated stands. (Sorry for the OT)

OP
MikeFromNorway
I've no idea how this set-up compares sonically to any of your earlier suggestions, and I don't usually like the look of monitors orientated "landscape", but I really like how this Neumann set-up looks on the low stands:

View attachment 183334

I thought the point of splitting the speakers in two was to find the best position for the subs, not for the best waf as there are tons of pseudo/full rangers with much better Looks then this combo.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I thought the point of splitting the speakers in two was to find the best position for the subs, not for the best waf as there are tons of pseudo/full rangers with much better Looks then this combo.
I agree, the best position for the subwoofer(s) is unlikely to be as stands for the monitors.

But, for some reason, this set-up stuck in my mind and your image above kind of reminded me of it:

1643656944675.png

Regarding the aesthetics/WAF, I personally quite like the utilitarian look of a lot of pro audio gear, but I appreciate that many people prefer something more sculptural with a more of a furniture grade finish.

OP
MikeFromNorway
I agree, the best position for the subwoofer(s) is unlikely to be as stands for the monitors.

But, for some reason, this set-up stuck in my mind and your image above kind of reminded me of it:

View attachment 183376

Regarding the aesthetics/WAF, I personally quite like the utilitarian look of a lot of pro audio gear, but I appreciate that many people prefer something more sculptural with a more of a furniture grade finish.
Guess We’re two then…

I’m closing in on the neumann 420s and Sigberg audios Manta prototypes as the finalists for my «end game». None of which could fit into Barby and Ken’s countryside villa.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Guess We’re two then…

I’m closing in on the neumann 420s and Sigberg audios Manta prototypes as the finalists for my «end game». None of which could fit into Barby and Ken’s countryside villa.

Can't go wrong with KH420s, they are spectacular.

In that price range is also potentially GGNTKT's M3, @roland{at}GGNTKT

OP
MikeFromNorway
OPINIONS appreciated URGENT.

So just when i thought i had all the time in the world and a demo for the D&D is scheduled at my house for this friday the 4th these show up on the used marked…

Mint condition. 13000dollars. Could probably push it to between 10 and 11k.

What do you guys think? Looks are not important. Room integration and the final sound is!

You already know from this thread what they are competing against.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
How terribly inconsiderate for someone to offer these for sale just days before your demo. :)

By all accounts they're both superb speakers, but chances are you will have a preference for one or the other in your room. As such, I think it's going to be very difficult for anyone to give any meaningful advice.

OP
MikeFromNorway
How terribly inconsiderate for someone to offer these for sale just days before your demo. :)

By all accounts they're both superb speakers, but chances are you will have a preference for one or the other in your room. As such, I think it's going to be very difficult for anyone to give any meaningful advice.
Yup.
Figured that.
And then there is the Neumann KH420 w/subs that i plan to audition as well.

What tempts me is that i get speakers for more then half the asking price by buying them used…

Was hoping people would say «for that price, they are killer speakers and outperforms the others»

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Was hoping people would say «for that price, they are killer speakers and outperforms the others»

Someone who'd say that would probably be an armchair theorycrafter who hasn't heard/compared them to other equivalent speakers.

It is a very good price for very good speakers. At that level, you can't really go wrong provided you don't fall for audiophool stuff. Every speaker that was competently designed from the start such as those, Kef Blades, Focal Utopias, etc... will sound great. It becomes mostly a matter of how well it integrates into the room and, obviously, taste.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I'm obviously horribly subjective, so take anything I say with a grain of salt :)

I agree that it looks like a good deal, depending somewhat on how old they are, have you checked that? The Salon 2 has been in production for 12 or 13 years now. And is it perhaps possible to audition them at Oslo hificenter?

I'd also say they're quite different speakers from what you've been looking at so far, both conceptually and with regards to size. So you should perhaps reflect on whether this is really what you're looking for, despite the good deal. But definitely both cool and great speakers. And I doubt they appear on the second hand market very often, I can't remember ever seeing them at finn.no before. I have also no idea if they are hard or easy to sell if you decide to do so.

DanielT

Major Contributor
From floor to ceiling, see attached picture. This way you do not have to worry so much about floors and ceiling reflectors.
(the sides of the room you will still have left, so..fix ..and ..fix)

Sprinkle out lots of subwoffers.Amplifier, lots of power. Pure watts.

EQ and more EQ

Here with amp power. From this fair:

IMG_20211106_140009 (1) (10).jpg

He missed some of his sub at the fair:

... if you have space, time to fix everything, WAF, neighbors with poor hearing and so on and so forth ...:D
(with reservation my interpretation " end game", for home Hifi)

Attachments

• IMG_20211106_140002 (1) (11).jpg
    IMG_20211106_140002 (1) (11).jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 91
  • 20220105_112711 (1).jpg
    20220105_112711 (1).jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Top Bottom