• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

End Game Speakers

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Magico seems to provide some interesting and objectively good speakers.. I'll come back to these later

Soulution Electronics..Seriously?? I know a bit about these, I have been on the other side... Expensive, eye-watering expensive. Their lowest priced model, an integrated is about 26,000 Us Dollars.. the TOL , the 701 is ... please take your time to read this, NO typo: 155,000.oo US Dollars.... and frankly in what way are these superior to a Purifi or Hypex-based amplifier? I mean , seriously????:rolleyes:
Now about the Q7... Heavy, well made , expensive (Ridiculous price and likely good measurements.. In What way would it be superior to a Revel Salon 2? Or to a fully dressed-up Genelec 8361-W371A combo, complete speaker systems by the way with no need for additional amps... ?
No! HEA offerings are not what most here consider end-game anything...

As an olive branch offering :) . There is one expensive speaker I consider end-game. It is by all objective metrics. The Bang and Olufsen Beolab 90. A true marvel of technology and performance. Some may like its looks... I am not sure I do.

1620281-grey-natural_00-500x500.jpg

Peace.
As an owner of both a Purifi Eval 1 (which I assembled myself) and an Octo Research DAC 8, I understand my recommendations are over the top, but that's kind of the point. Neither of my personal choices (which I do believe are edge of the art performers) will have that overwhelming cost no object Veblen good impact that the Solutions would--and that was the charge from the OP, to spare no expense to create a bucket list system. Ditto for the Magicos over the Revels. And make no mistake about it a Solution/Revel system will approach edge of the art sound, and do it with a lot more bling than a miniDSP/Octo--Purifi---Revel system(perhaps an even better sonic performer) will have. After all, a Toyota Avalon is probably every bit as good a performer as a Rolls Royce Dawn, yet I still think people who don't care about the money will nonetheless prefer the Rolls.

And the Beolab 90? That looks like something out of a Stephen King story which, when researchers place it on a turntable and rotate it, opens an interdimensional portal from which numerous abominations pour forth to feast on the residents of some sleepy Maine village until the military restores order several weeks later.

Last edited:

luft262

DAC Topping D90SE
AMP Benchmark AHB2
Mains Revel F228Be
Subs SVS SB4000 x 2 (Need Bass and DSP)

Done...What more could you want? At least that's what I would buy. I hope you find exactly what you're looking for!

MarkS

Major Contributor
Hi all. Been reading and learning from this community for more than a year. It's been great! Here's my situation. My dad loves music. He's 76 years old. His music heart is in the 60s and 70s. He has Ess speakers and reworked them himself last year, but he sees the big END, and has said F it! He wants "END GAME SPEAKERS", but he's leaning on me to deliver! No pressure. Take price out of it for a sec. because I don't want this to be about BMRs, Salon2s or Genelecs +/- subs or about wasting money on g/olden ears or labored refrains on room treatments. He wants to FEEL like THIS IS END GAME. Do you FEEL ME!? He's got his eye on Legacy Aeris with Wavelet. Question: IF YOU WERE HIS AGE WOULD YOU BUY? I want to make the guy happy. I'm his son. This time I appreciate your advice as people not scientists.
Ryan
OK, here's the thing. Your dad is 76 (and therefore his hearing isn't what it used to be), he listens to 60s and 70s rock (which was mostly dreadfully recorded), and he was very impressed with the sound of a poorly integrated subwoofer. He likes to tinker with stuff, and he has hernia issues.

As I see it, your job, as his son, is to steer him to the LIGHTEST speakers that can plausibly be passed off as END GAME. Their sound is pretty much irrelevant, any plausible contender is going to be fine. I would go with the 82 lb Revel 228Be. (Just be sure he knows not to touch the tweeter!) If the bass is not enough, add an SVS SB1000 sub (27 lbs). Then you have to get it set up with bass response optimized for him. I'm assuming this needs to be done for one listening position only, so one sub should be enough, The Revel very likely measures better than the Legacy, and so telling him that it's better is only the truth.

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don't believe there are such measurements available online, but what I can say is the owner Kiat is very honest in his specifications and approach to speaker design. I'm sure if you contacted him about a prospective purchase, he would be happy to share internal measurement information with you.

JSmith
Wow, Duntech has really gone up in price. Was a big fan of the Soverign many years ago.
But why no public measurements? Seems odd at that price point in this day and age. So many proven speaker options, why bother with this?

astcal

Forum Donor
If you go back and read the OP's first post you might realize the Kii's are exactly wrong for his father.
I know they would be for me

@rcarlbe I'll give them 2 thumbs down for your dad. ;)

I beg to differ. His dad has been with “old school” speakers all his life, only thing that will intrigue him would be a new school masterpiece.

This is like what would be a good car for his son to buy for him: Cadillac or Tesla. I’d recommend Tesla.

Reactions: jae

JSmith

Master Contributor

Holmz

Major Contributor

And the Beolab 90? That looks like something out of a Stephen King story which, when researchers place it on a turntable and rotate it, opens an interdimensional portal from which numerous abominations pour forth to feast on the residents of some sleepy Maine village until the military restores order several weeks later.

I thought that OA was shot in somewhere else other than Maine, and then in season 2 in San Fracncsco… with the portal using the machines was not intoroduced until the end of season 2? And no military?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I beg to differ. His dad has been with “old school” speakers all his life, only thing that will intrigue him would be a new school masterpiece.

This is like what would be a good car for his son to buy for him: Cadillac or Tesla. I’d recommend Tesla.
Well I'm 72 and if my kid gave me a Tesla, I'd burn it.
None of them wimpy mobiles allowed around here.
But he never would cause my kid knows me.
As I believe OP knows his.
He'd buy me a 2022 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Or for a little less
Dodge Durango SRT 392 w500HP, then I'd put the HellCat kit on it.

z

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Or for a little less

z
That Jeep Cherokee SRT with the big performance V8 from Mopar does it for me. Isn't that the same engine as the Durango you speak of? I saw a Cherokee SRT with the performance package give'er good off the line and it just disappeared fast. Sounded great too.

Last edited:

HorizonsEdge

Your dad might appreciate this

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hear ya, Sal. We're about the same age, ballpark, and my favorite smell in the whole world is gasoline, and my favorite sound is the wet burble of a big V8, and for decades I have bought nothing else, supercharged where possible.

But ... you know the midbass boof! you love so much from your JBLs? That instantaneous punch? That's electrically powered. You get the exact same oomph from a Tesla. Addictive within about a hundred yards. Pains me to say it, but it seduced me pretty quick. Now gas drivetrains feel slow to react, slow to wind up, slow to get going. Try it - I bet you'll like it.

The only thing wrong with Tesla is the weird a-hole who owns the company.

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
He's 76. Get him something that is in stock or has a few month turnaround at most. With supply chain issues you could be waiting until 2023. Sounds like you have a very healthy budget. Maybe focus on 2 that have a return policy and build in the cost of shipping one back. He might love that, especially since there may be white glove service and dealer set-up at that price bracket.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As an owner of both a Purifi Eval 1 (which I assembled myself) and an Octo Research DAC 8, I understand my recommendations are over the top, but that's kind of the point. Neither of my personal choices (which I do believe are edge of the art performers) will have that overwhelming cost no object Veblen good impact that the Solutions would--and that was the charge from the OP, to spare no expense to create a bucket list system. Ditto for the Magicos over the Revels. And make no mistake about it a Solution/Revel system will approach edge of the art sound, and do it with a lot more bling than a miniDSP/Octo--Purifi---Revel system(perhaps an even better sonic performer) will have. After all, a Toyota Avalon is probably every bit as good a performer as a Rolls Royce Dawn, yet I still think people who don't care about the money will nonetheless prefer the Rolls.

Won't highjack the thread. Last reply on this, we can open a thread.
Your comparison are not valid. There are objective metrics. And the Salon 2 will meet them with the Soulution or the Purifi/Okto DAC. The Purifi and the Okto DAC are likely better in term of objective performance. Whether these are audible is a different point.

On to a different thread... if you want

Peace.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Or for a little less

z
The quasi instantaneous pull (acceleration) of EV will seduce you.. The unnerving thing is the absence of noise while the car is hurtling toward the end of the road, stop sign or red light. A bit disorienting as there is no engine noise crescendo. Seriously, EVs surpass gas cars in so many ways ... You need to experience them with a calm mind to understand. The best Audio comparison? Same way modern Digital surpass anything Vinyl or R2R can produce .. Sorry Pal :( Objectively? Truth! ... and out for good.. :D

Peace.

jae

Major Contributor
I hear ya, Sal. We're about the same age, ballpark, and my favorite smell in the whole world is gasoline, and my favorite sound is the wet burble of a big V8, and for decades I have bought nothing else, supercharged where possible.

But ... you know the midbass boof! you love so much from your JBLs? That instantaneous punch? That's electrically powered. You get the exact same oomph from a Tesla. Addictive within about a hundred yards. Pains me to say it, but it seduced me pretty quick. Now gas drivetrains feel slow to react, slow to wind up, slow to get going. Try it - I bet you'll like it.

The only thing wrong with Tesla is the weird a-hole who owns the company.
How about a V10?

Gregm

OK, so I'll chime in as well (just to confuse you further :rolleyes:!). Taking your dad's penchant for the Aeris as an good indication of what he likes -- big, full sound, (can we say "lush"), extended FR, high sensitivity... Here are some alternatives that I have actually heard:
Genesis Maestro, Focal Sopra 3 (or two in a smaller room), Vandersteen Quattro (or sthing like that); I also like Duntechs but can't remember which model I lsitened to. None of the ones I mention go as loud as the Aeris I don't think, lowerer sensitivity. The Focal is fully passive, so you need big amplification to power it.
I haven't checked for measurements which might come in useful; I remember the Maestros' FR measured OK in a medium sized living room (¬40m) using only their own tuning controls, but I don't have those readings - sorry. IIRC bass went downhill in that room after 30Hz or so.
I have no idea what these things retail for nowadays.
BTW, that's a nice present you are preparing for your dad -- not only the speakers but esp. the thought (and I hope my son comes up with a similar quest in the future!). Regards

OP
R

rcarlbe

OK, here's the thing. Your dad is 76 (and therefore his hearing isn't what it used to be), he listens to 60s and 70s rock (which was mostly dreadfully recorded), and he was very impressed with the sound of a poorly integrated subwoofer. He likes to tinker with stuff, and he has hernia issues.

As I see it, your job, as his son, is to steer him to the LIGHTEST speakers that can plausibly be passed off as END GAME. Their sound is pretty much irrelevant, any plausible contender is going to be fine. I would go with the 82 lb Revel 228Be. (Just be sure he knows not to touch the tweeter!) If the bass is not enough, add an SVS SB1000 sub (27 lbs). Then you have to get it set up with bass response optimized for him. I'm assuming this needs to be done for one listening position only, so one sub should be enough, The Revel very likely measures better than the Legacy, and so telling him that it's better is only the truth.
Another good gut check--appreciated. The Revels 228/328s are asterisked on my list from everyone's input. I joked with him that his ultimate end game speaker is "just a sub"--that's all he can hear! Ha. Not that you were at all saying that at all, but I thought that was a chuckle. Knowing he's got quality well-measured performance matters to him along with the aesthetics of quality, essentially nice cabinetry work, solid connections etc.

mkt

I think you have to get him a car now too.

Top Bottom