• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

End Game Speakers

OP
R

rcarlbe

I think you have to get him a car now too.
Ha! Shittt. Bah! He likes his old cars. That is mainly what he cares about. He has a 1970s era MGB and Jag XK-E he's been tooling since he pushed the latter down the street from an old garage into his. He's the expert there for sure over me.

Digby

Major Contributor
Given the type of music and your father's age, maybe the JBL 4349? It will be similar to the speakers of his youth and will a give nice bit of thump to rock music of that era.

OP
R

rcarlbe

Given the type of music and your father's age, maybe the JBL 4349? It will be similar to the speakers of his youth and will a give nice bit of thump to rock music of that era.
I am so appreciative of these types of insights, e.g. physical weight by others, voicing etc. A few other folks have mentioned the JBLs. (I am noting this all). To your point his ears are definitely tuned to over 50 years listening to his Ess speakers with the AMT. He bought those speakers largely for the AMTs. I remember the time he explained them to me 35 years ago. He was proud. The most confidence I can have in delivering the better. Thank you for illuminating that aspect of this decision.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought that OA was shot in somewhere else other than Maine, and then in season 2 in San Fracncsco… with the portal using the machines was not intoroduced until the end of season 2? And no military?
OA is not Stephen King. Cf "The Mist"

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Won't highjack the thread. Last reply on this, we can open a thread.
Your comparison are not valid. There are objective metrics. And the Salon 2 will meet them with the Soulution or the Purifi/Okto DAC. The Purifi and the Okto DAC are likely better in term of objective performance. Whether these are audible is a different point.

On to a different thread... if you want

Peace.
No. Said my peace. Even if I had the cash I'd opt for the Toyota Avalon, Revel (or, more likely, Kef or D&D/Kii), Octo/Purifi over Rolls, Magico, Solution. My intent was to suggest the blingiest (is that even a word :facepalm:) performant audio system I could think of. Hence, no Wilsons.

Dead serious about the B&O 90's, though. Owning those things will bring evil into the world. :p

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The quasi instantaneous pull (acceleration) of EV will seduce you.. The unnerving thing is the absence of noise while the car is hurtling toward the end of the road, stop sign or red light.
Naw, it wouldn't. I've seen a number of them running at the drag strip. Acceleration from the instantaneous torque is amazing.
But they don't make any noise, the vibration bit as a thing is mostly missing.
When they come to the line at the track, about 75% of the fans get up to go do something else, pee, eat, whatever. NO Excitement.
In the late 1960s I worked for Romeo Palamides building and touring the US with his Jet Cars.
Now there's something the fans would fight to get a good place IN the stands for.
That's Romeo standing (and Fred Sibley in the cockpit IIRC)

images

The Revels 228/328s are asterisked on my list from everyone's input. I joked with him that his ultimate end game speaker is "just a sub"--that's all he can hear!
The Revels are definitely one of the best speakers on the market but make sure you give them plenty of power. (and a sub or 2)
I've got a good friend up in Chicago that bought a pair of F208s a few years back and has never been happy. He has a large open floor plan room with living, dining, and kitchen all open to the speaker setup in the living room. Also the back of the room is open to 2 large staircases going to the up and down levels. Not the speakers fault but not a good choice for his situation. In the past he had large Klipsch towers there and I get why he's not happy, he's not an audiophile, he's a rocker from the 60s and just misses that "punch". ;)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
A few other folks have mentioned the JBLs. (I am noting this all).
Something like a pair of JBL M2s or the 4367s would most definitely rock his world. ;)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Naw, it wouldn't. I've seen a number of them running at the drag strip. Acceleration from the instantaneous torque is amazing.
But they don't make any noise, the vibration bit as a thing is mostly missing.
When they come to the line at the track, about 75% of the fans get up to go do something else, pee, eat, whatever. NO Excitement.
In the late 1960s I worked for Romeo Palamides building and touring the US with his Jet Cars.
Now there's something the fans would fight to get a good place IN the stands for.
That's Romeo standing (and Fred Sibley in the cockpit IIRC)

images

The Revels are definitely one of the best speakers on the market but make sure you give them plenty of power. (and a sub or 2)
I've got a good friend up in Chicago that bought a pair of F208s a few years back and has never been happy. He has a large open floor plan room with living, dining, and kitchen all open to the speaker setup in the living room. Also the back of the room is open to 2 large staircases going to the up and down levels. Not the speakers fault but not a good choice for his situation. In the past he had large Klipsch towers there and I get why he's not happy, he's not an audiophile, he's a rocker from the 60s and just misses that "punch". ;)
I attended the AHRA World Finals Drag Racing Competition at Spokane Washington 5 years in a row. When the electric cars and Volkswagen Beetles came out the spectators where not very serious about drag racing. But when the top fuel, blown machines and jet powered cars where competing one saw all the earplugs/earmuffs come out and the stands where full to capacity and almost nobody was lined up at the concession for beer and snacks. The spectators where there to see the loud and proud big bore machines and basically could not really care about the other stuff.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Well I'm 72 and if my kid gave me a Tesla, I'd burn it.
None of them wimpy mobiles allowed around here.
But he never would cause my kid knows me.
As I believe OP knows his.
He'd buy me a 2022 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Or for a little less
Dodge Durango SRT 392 w500HP, then I'd put the HellCat kit on it.

z
Sal, you understand me and I'm 64!!!!

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
My suggestion is to keep the speakers fairly light weight. No one wants to push around 100+ pound speakers. In the many recommendations, a few stood out to me. The following in no special order:

1. Revel 226Be 58 pounds 90db sensitive
2. RevelF206 58 pounds 88db sensitive
3.Revel F35 41 pounds 90db sensitive
4. Revel F36 50 pounds 91 sensitive
5. KEF R 11 83 pounds 90db sensitive
6. BMR Tower 72 pounds 86db sensitive

These are all very good speakers and they all need a very good subwoofer such as an SVS 4000 or 2 SVS 2000PRO. It really depends on the size of your room. The BMR is probably the best looking very nice speaker but not as sensitive as I'd like. The KEF R 11 seems very nice an for the Revels the 226BE is a nice weight and 90db sensitive. But really any of these speakers would do well with a nice sub. The SVS subs have full phone app control that will be very nice to have. So, I'd check the prices and go with the most sensitive speaker you can afford!. Adding a sub will add close to $2000 to the entire purchase. Good Luck and let us know what you end up doing. Just off the cuff, that Revel 226BE or the KEF R11 look like very nice speakers that will not be crazy heavy.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
He'd buy me a 2022 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 ...
Generation gap, eh?

If my hypothetical progeny bought me a Corvette, there's no way I'd burn it. I'm not a vandal. I'd send it back for recycling.

That said, I'm partial to dinosaur amps. There's no accounting for aesthetics.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I attended the AHRA World Finals Drag Racing Competition at Spokane Washington 5 years in a row. When the electric cars and Volkswagen Beetles came out the spectators where not very serious about drag racing. But when the top fuel, blown machines and jet powered cars where competing one saw all the earplugs/earmuffs come out and the stands where full to capacity and almost nobody was lined up at the concession for beer and snacks. The spectators where there to see the loud and proud big bore machines and basically could not really care about the other stuff.
Wrestling versus archery. Krell versus Topping. Spectacle vs science.

For the OP's dad's taste, @JSmith's Duntech alternative suggestion looks most likely to match aesthetic and sonic expectations.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any model of Avalon Acoustic can give. For me, the lowest PM model it enough. Hyped above 15K and below 35Hz base on their old model. Nice FR curve for me.
I think it's a shame we don't have spinoramas for any Avalons. Every time I've heard them (especially the Eidolons) I thought I was hearing one of the very best speakers ever.

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I think it's a shame we don't have spinoramas for any Avalons. Every time I've heard them (especially the Eidolons) I thought I was hearing one of the very best speakers ever.

In 2005 I was very close to becoming an Avalon dealer, but a very-short-notice cross-country move de-railed those plans, as I no longer had a nice big in-home showroom. I share your high opinion of Avalons.

Back in the early 2000's Avalon used to post the polar response of their loudspeakers, but they stopped doing so. I saw their polar response plots get criticized online when they were (imo) actually very good, and perhaps they got tired of internet know-it-alls using their published data to attack them.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Back in the early 2000's Avalon used to post the polar response of their loudspeakers, but they stopped doing so. I saw their polar response plots get criticized online when they were (imo) actually very good, and perhaps they got tired of internet know-it-alls using their published data to attack them.
Know it all armchair experts are the bane of the internet. So many living at home in moms basement types, criticizing products and companies when they nothing about what they spew. The other idiots, I mean people jump on the wagon and trash good products online. Happens ALL THE TIME. Sad.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He'd buy me a 2022 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Or for a little less
Dodge Durango SRT 392 w500HP, then I'd put the HellCat kit on it.

z
Indeed the corvette has unbelievable modern technology. The car is a technological masterpiece. No retro BS. No historical nonsense. They are state of the art. That engine design will blow your mind. Everything about that car is just the top of the line engineering with zero BS.

Why would one eschew that kind of technology when buying their audio system?

Last edited:

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hear ya, Sal. We're about the same age, ballpark, and my favorite smell in the whole world is gasoline, and my favorite sound is the wet burble of a big V8, and for decades I have bought nothing else, supercharged where possible.

But ... you know the midbass boof! you love so much from your JBLs? That instantaneous punch? That's electrically powered. You get the exact same oomph from a Tesla. Addictive within about a hundred yards. Pains me to say it, but it seduced me pretty quick. Now gas drivetrains feel slow to react, slow to wind up, slow to get going. Try it - I bet you'll like it.

The only thing wrong with Tesla is the weird a-hole who owns the company.
Tesla is awesome but that for me would get old. Maximum torque at zero RPM is a true dream come true. It’s sick. It’s so ideal on every level. With cars though I’ve come to a conclusion that sometimes there is a sense of “too much”. These modern cars are so ridiculously fast. My last car wasn’t “fun” until it hit triple digit speeds. So not useful for responsible people outside a track.

I tried a car with an ultra fast DCT transmission. It was awesome. Was driving like a maniac. So damn fast. So much fun. So many memories.

However in the end it got old. Was like driving in a video game.

I went back to a manual transmission and never looked back. Get them while you can.

5 new Japanese sports cars with proper manual transmission came out in the last year. They know people want a taste before it’s all gone.

I’ll wait for my “perfect acceleration forever” stuff when I have no other choice.

Last edited:

steve59

Major Contributor
After spending a bit over a year with the Kef Blades and playing with placement I think they are keepers.

steve59

Major Contributor
The legacy Aeris or JBL's likely wouldn't need 500 wpc to sound like end game speakers and the Aeris sounded very good at Axpona 22 in a room about the size of a small theatre.

Top Bottom