• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

End Game Speakers

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Adding distortion to make the recording sound more ‘real’, if you like the added distortion ( if the amp is actually changing the sound and not just your imagination) that is fine, after all you have to listen to it.
Keith

geek101

Forum Donor
If I wanted towers and want to audition and see how they stack up I will follow this order:

Polk R700
Arendal 1723 Tower THX
Martin Logan Motion XT F100
Perlisten R7t
Revel F228be
Revel F328be

Try all the above with a sub or two and absolutely mesure them and use Dirac live like Minidsp Flex.

Except for Martin Logan’s all are rated well and measured by independent parties.

If you still want to try Aeris take a listen. I am an owner of Aeris btw.

Get a couple of recent Hypex NCx500 mono blocks and that should drive all the above speakers well in most rooms generally people listen to.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
If I wanted towers and want to audition and see how they stack up I will follow this order:

Polk R700
Arendal 1723 Tower THX
Perlisten R7t
Revel F228be
Revel F328be

Try all the above with a sub or two and absolutely mesure them and use Dirac live like Minidsp Flex.

Except for Martin Logan’s all are rated well and measured by independent parties.

Get a couple of recent Hypex NCx500 mono blocks and that should drive all the above speakers well in most rooms generally people listen to.
You can probably not waste time with the Martin Logans. They usually don't test well.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's a guy who BUILT his end game speakers (and turntable).

I know many here don't watch Steve G's videos, but I think many here would still get a kick out of this - especially DIYers and tinkerers.

Very humble dude and boy did he put a lot of work and thought in to creating every inch of his elaborate system - speakers and turntable:

LDKTA

Polk R700
Arendal 1723 Tower THX
Perlisten R7t
Revel F228be
Revel F328be

First mention of the Perlisten R7t's! For those who aren't aware of this company, they are doing it right. Those loudspeakers are phenomenal to say the very least. JBL M2s for me... But I wouldn't hesitate to swap for a pair of the R7t's. I would certainly take them over the Salon2s.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Polk R700
Arendal 1723 Tower THX
Perlisten R7t
Revel F228be
Revel F328be

Somewhat surprised to see the Polk R700 in such (probably, I don't know anything about the Arendal , Martin Logan and Perlisten) august company, especially at its sober $2100/pair price.
Would like to see it reviewed here at ASR.

Peace

steve59

Major Contributor
First mention of the Perlisten R7t's! For those who aren't aware of this company, they are doing it right. Those loudspeakers are phenomenal to say the very least. JBL M2s for me... But I wouldn't hesitate to swap for a pair of the R7t's. I would certainly take them over the Salon2s.
I have to admit that somebody that posts they'll take any speaker over the salon 2 that isn't trolling on this forum gets my respect, whether I agree or not. I was impressed by the Perlisten s7t also although there's lots of competition at that price.

LDKTA

I have to admit that somebody that posts they'll take any speaker over the salon 2 that isn't trolling on this forum gets my respect, whether I agree or not. I was impressed by the Perlisten s7t also although there's lots of competition at that price.
Both the Perlisten’s and Salon2s are neck and neck honestly. There’s just something about the R7t’s that does it for me… I prefer the bass more with them as well.

steve59

Major Contributor
Both the Perlisten’s and Salon2s are neck and neck honestly. There’s just something about the R7t’s that does it for me… I prefer the bass more with them as well.
The salon2 in my system never released the earth shattering bass I've heard so much about. The guy I sold them to bought a pair of Mc601's to drive them and says bass flat out boogies. I'd just dropped $4k on a 250/425 wpc integrated and wasn't ready to believe the salon2 needed more power than that. Live and learn I guess.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably been said, but End Game is going to be a very personal preference. In fact, until someone has experienced a vast number of different types of speaker there is no telling what their end game might be.

steve59

Major Contributor
^
Like you said, the bar is always moving. My endgame today is what I have.I may need to sell it as the realities of retirement and inflation catch up and then my endgame might be my grado sr60's, but we are learning about each other on this thread.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
^
Like you said, the bar is always moving. My endgame today is what I have.I may need to sell it as the realities of retirement and inflation catch up and then my endgame might be my grado sr60's, but we are learning about each other on this thread.
Yes, and it's interesting the wide variety of end games we have here.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Here's a guy who BUILT his end game speakers (and turntable).
DAMN, just caught this older post, thanks Matt.
What an incredible mind, his construction talents in both metal and wood are awesome,
and far exceeded mine. And his day gig was as a policemen, wow!
I had to laugh looking at all the metal working machines and remembering the amount of
forethought and energy in took to get much of the same tooling into the basement of my
home in Chicago. Getting lathe's and vertical mills down the stairs and into a residential home
is no easy trick, I can tell you that. LOL. I did much of the same firearms work he discussed
besides earning a living at building high performance H-D engines.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The salon2 in my system never released the earth shattering bass I've heard so much about. The guy I sold them to bought a pair of Mc601's to drive them and says bass flat out boogies. I'd just dropped $4k on a 250/425 wpc integrated and wasn't ready to believe the salon2 needed more power than that. Live and learn I guess.
So was it his amplifier that made the difference. Or was it simply his opinion of their sound?
And then you have the issue of a completely different room?

JohnnyAudio

Decware Headwreckers

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all. Been reading and learning from this community for more than a year. It's been great! Here's my situation. My dad loves music. He's 76 years old. His music heart is in the 60s and 70s. He has Ess speakers and reworked them himself last year, but he sees the big END, and has said F it! He wants "END GAME SPEAKERS", but he's leaning on me to deliver! No pressure. Take price out of it for a sec. because I don't want this to be about BMRs, Salon2s or Genelecs +/- subs or about wasting money on g/olden ears or labored refrains on room treatments. He wants to FEEL like THIS IS END GAME. Do you FEEL ME!? He's got his eye on Legacy Aeris with Wavelet. Question: IF YOU WERE HIS AGE WOULD YOU BUY? I want to make the guy happy. I'm his son. This time I appreciate your advice as people not scientists.
Ryan
Klipschorn.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I beg to differ. His dad has been with “old school” speakers all his life, only thing that will intrigue him would be a new school masterpiece.

This is like what would be a good car for his son to buy for him: Cadillac or Tesla. I’d recommend Tesla.
Cadillac blackwing.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I'm 72 and if my kid gave me a Tesla, I'd burn it.
None of them wimpy mobiles allowed around here.
But he never would cause my kid knows me.
As I believe OP knows his.
He'd buy me a 2022 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Or for a little less
Dodge Durango SRT 392 w500HP, then I'd put the HellCat kit on it.

z
Corvette all day if it came in a manual but i’m not 72. So it can work.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The quasi instantaneous pull (acceleration) of EV will seduce you.. The unnerving thing is the absence of noise while the car is hurtling toward the end of the road, stop sign or red light. A bit disorienting as there is no engine noise crescendo. Seriously, EVs surpass gas cars in so many ways ... You need to experience them with a calm mind to understand. The best Audio comparison? Same way modern Digital surpass anything Vinyl or R2R can produce .. Sorry Pal :( Objectively? Truth! ... and out for good.. :D

Peace.

I once had a DCT car (dual clutch). No it wasn’t as magical as maximum torque at 0 RPM but it was fast. Almost too fast. It was “too good” so to speak. I got rid of it and got a manual. One without a turbo to boot. Enjoyed it a lot.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I got rid of it and got a manual. One without a turbo to boot. Enjoyed it a lot.
Amen, pus case automatics and EVs are for little girls and blind old men.
But nothing on 4 wheels will pucker your sphincter like this.

Top Bottom