• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

End-game enough?

OP
AudioKC

AudioKC

A short update for history.

Did a more aggressive roll off from 4k region using dirac live, tried to repeat Kef R3/R5 Meta measured curve, after that Kef R11 sounded better in treble region. To give more space for mid/treble, reduced bump in mid bass. And I think found an sweet spot for myself. Treble not bothering anymore but details and resolution still there, that said now it sounds less warm, a tradeoff that I had to choose.

I believe it’s important to experiment and explore in this hobby to find what works for us.

For now tunning R11 curve closer to R11 meta works for me.

OP
AudioKC

AudioKC

For reference

These are quite similar dynamic drivers, with minor updates, but a quite different tuning overall.

Regular R3-R11 is quite high shelve in mid-treble (starting from 2K)

It’s ok to compare different R models in region after 1K.

First is R5 Meta tuning

IMG_5001.png

Second is R3 non Meta tuning

IMG_5002.png

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Measure your brains out, but 'end game' is a subjective thing.

No matter what you measure, the simulacrum we seek remains out of reach, so we persist.

Enjoy the stops along the way, there is no objective 'end game,' it's a journey! Hopefully a fun one with not too many pedants ruining the picnic.

OP
AudioKC

AudioKC

For sure, valid prespective.

For me end game is when I did everything to get sound that is closer to perfection, without going through divorce :D:D:D

BobbyTimmons

Your room acoustics make more difference than those things you invested in. The DAC you choose is not important. The only important part of that are its connections and the warranty policy. The most important thing for the sound quality are the recordings you play.

OP
AudioKC

AudioKC

Your room acoustics make more difference than those things you invested in. The DAC you choose is not important. The only important part of that are its connections and the warranty policy. The most important thing for the sound quality are the recordings you play.

I did room treatment and optimization for RT60. A couple things to improve, for example ceiling treatment, but later. RT60 is quite even, not perfect but in fine range, ~350ms

OP
AudioKC

AudioKC

The DAC you choose is not important
That is not 100% correct, I need 4 channel DAC to run bass control with two subs. So at least this is why I picked Topping DM-7

dfiler

Thanks for the update. I just got R11 and am going through the tuning process.

End game? It's always fun to "upgrade". But at this point I think room acoustics outweigh any further improvement in gear. I will still want the shiny new thing. Though, realistically I should focus on EQ, speaker placement, seating position, reflections, damping, and dispersion throughout the spectrum. For sure, room modes are what define the sound of my system.

Top Bottom