• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

E1DA Cosmos ADC

chuckt62

Editor
Will you have more of the A version soon?

sm5

Forum Donor
Without the host Cosmos ADC will start SPDIF operation as 24/48 every time it turns On.
I'd love to see a version with SPDIF + USB-C output one day. It would be an easy way to add two channels to some sound cards with digital inputs while still being able to be able to use their software routing/mixing. I would have kept my original Cosmos ADC if it had SPDIF. (There's not many standalone ADC unlike DACS)

*A single combo ADC/DAC also with Spdif i/o would also be great for being able to use things like sonarworks/dirac/MA-1 room correction which sometimes require it to be a single sound card. It would also pretty much cover most peoples basic uses (they'd just need to add preamp or headphone amp/monitor controller) I'm sure many could definitely get by with a simple 2 in 2 out sound card. (Would be nice to have pro +24dBu in and out also which would make it fit in professional mastering studios)

Obviously some grand hopes - but just throwing it out there!

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi all

I have Cosmos ADC already.

So if I want to better match input sensitivty with DAC output voltage, is Cosmos SCALER a good option to do that?

For example for very low DAC output voltage , like 1Vrms - Scaler is a good option?

Any other advantages that Scaler would give to ADC?

staticV3

Master Contributor
For example for very low DAC output voltage , like 1Vrms - Scaler is a good option?
Yes, you can use the Scaler to amplify voltages to the ADC's input sensitivity.

Using the Scaler, voltages down to 85mVrms can be amplified to the ADC's highest sensitivity of 1.7Vrms.

This helps to minimize the impact that the Cosmos ADC's inherent noise and distortion has on your measurements.

Any other advantages that Scaler would give to ADC?
The Scaler's very high input impedance of 200/100kΩ (Bal/Unbal) acts as a buffer to improve impedance bridging to the ADC.

If you want to test devices with high output impedance, then this will manifest as lower voltage drop and lower distortion, again: minimizing the impact that the Cosmos ADC has on your measurements.

Music1969

Major Contributor
So do you connect DAC output -> Scaler input -> Scaler output -> Cosmos ADC

Is that correct sequence @IVX ?

So I need 2 x 3.5mm to female XLR and 2 x 3.5mm male XLR ?

BKDad

The downside, if you could call it that, is that the Scaler can only amplify. It never attenuates. That is a great benefit for measuring line level devices like DACs and preamps of various types. The high impedance is also helpful for the measurements and is more comparable to the impedance the devices under test would encounter in actual use.

If you're testing power amplifiers, you need a suitable load that'll dissipate a lot of power anyway. Eight ohms and 200 watts or whatever. Using that with the internal attenuator in the Cosmos ADC covers most of the amplifier cases. The internal attenuator's impedance doesn't really, ahh, load down the test load. If that makes sense.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Scaler's very high input impedance of 200/100kΩ (Bal/Unbal) acts as a buffer to improve impedance bridging to the ADC.

If you want to test devices with high output impedance, then this will manifest as lower voltage drop and lower distortion, again: minimizing the impact that the Cosmos ADC has on your measurements.

+1

@Music1969 you only “need” the scaler if you are dealing with devices with have high output impedance and want to test frequency response. Capacitor coupled preamps for example will have a hefty bass roll off which doesn’t happen with regular amps. For a 1 kHz test tone it doesn’t matter and if you set the E1DA it’s so good in 10V mode that unless you are going for 118 dB or better SINAD, it’s fine.

The scaler acts as a buffer which addresses the bass roll off and it’s a super clean amplifier. If you are trying to measure to the 122-124 dB SINAD, perfect gain matching is critical.

MultiTone is your best tool for playing with the E1DA. There is a thread where Paul shows the automated test he did with the RME 2/4

BKDad

+1

@Music1969 you only “need” the scaler if you are dealing with devices with have high output impedance and want to test frequency response. Capacitor coupled preamps for example will have a hefty bass roll off which doesn’t happen with regular amps. For a 1 kHz test tone it doesn’t matter and if you set the E1DA it’s so good in 10V mode that unless you are going for 118 dB or better SINAD, it’s fine.

The scaler acts as a buffer which addresses the bass roll off and it’s a super clean amplifier. If you are trying to measure to the 122-124 dB SINAD, perfect gain matching is critical.

MultiTone is your best tool for playing with the E1DA. There is a thread where Paul shows the automated test he did with the RME 2/4

Actually, while your roll-off comment is entirely accurate, there's other reasons why a higher impedance for the test gear might be important. Lots of devices you might want to test could be sensitive to the load they're presented with. Low impedance might cause higher distortion. Yeah, that's not perfect, but it's a real thing in the real world.

Here's one example:

Example of 10K load versus 100K

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually, while your roll-off comment is entirely accurate, there's other reasons why a higher impedance for the test gear might be important. Lots of devices you might want to test could be sensitive to the load they're presented with. Low impedance might cause higher distortion. Yeah, that's not perfect, but it's a real thing in the real world.

Here's one example:

Example of 10K load versus 100K
That’s a great point. I just wanted to encourage @Music1969 to go ahead and start testing since even that example shows the distortion at a pretty low value so he’ll be OK to start playing with it and getting useful data.

A frequency response sweep may help identify if it will be an issue or not.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Oh yeah, looks better.
Hi @IVX - I have been using the below adapter with Cosmos ADC.

Now I have the Cosmos Scaler - should I still use this adapter with Cosmos ADC?

For example: if I have only Scaler only Left output -> this adapter -> Cosmos ADC ?

index.php

Music1969

Major Contributor
Also - with Cosmos Scaler - if I want to change the default 4.5Vrms auto ranger output level : where can I find instructions please?

chuckt62

Editor
Also - with Cosmos Scaler - if I want to change the default 4.5Vrms auto ranger output level : where can I find instructions please?
I pretty sure you use the 'Auto' setting at full CCW knob position.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Archimago review said you can change default 4.5Vrms - my question is how
Input the target voltage to the Scaler's left input, then in <2 seconds, change the gain control from manual to auto five times.

If you want to reset the target voltage to default, do the same with <1V at the Scaler's left input.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Input the target voltage to the Scaler's left input, then in <2 seconds, change the gain control from manual to auto five times.

If you want to reset the target voltage to default, do the same with <1V at the Scaler's left input.

Thanks! Do you also know answer to my query above : #1,432

staticV3

Master Contributor
Now I have the Cosmos Scaler - should I still use this adapter with Cosmos ADC?

For example: if I have only Scaler only Left output -> this adapter -> Cosmos ADC ?

index.php
It'll be difficult to get the Scaler to only output from its left output.
If you input a stereo signal into the Scaler, then the output will be stereo as well.
If you input a mono signal into the Scaler's left input, then it'll output that Mono signal out of both outputs so that you don't have to switch cables around when changing between Mono and Stereo.

So while it is certainly possible to use that splitter on your picture to connect Scaler and ADC, IVX has made it so that you can use the same 3.5mm to XLR cables for both stereo and mono applications.

Music1969

Major Contributor
It'll be difficult to get the Scaler to only output from its left output.
If you input a stereo signal into the Scaler, then the output will be stereo as well.
If you input a mono signal into the Scaler's left input, then it'll output that Mono signal out of both outputs so that you don't have to switch cables around when changing between Mono and Stereo.

So while it is certainly possible to use that splitter on your picture to connect Scaler and ADC, IVX has made it so that you can use the same 3.5mm to XLR cables for both stereo and mono applications.
Crystal clear explanation

Thank you

Music1969

Major Contributor
@IVX I tried this Amazon cable with Scaler and it doesn't work - I see a lot of distortion.

Anything wrong with the wiring?

Male XLR:

1709366233016.png

and female XLR:

1709366154821.png

Top Bottom