• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

E-MU Teak Review (Headphone)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The Denon D series was the source of inspiration I believe, for both the Creative E-Mu and Fostex TH/TR series. Some of the Fostex models were launched really early too though, so maybe both Fostex and Denon did it together who knows. They were using drivers from the same manufacturer, that much is known at least. I think if you trace back far enough for biocellulose drivers and this rough headphone shape/structure the Sony R10 may be said to be the first

Here:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...view-i-am-famous-now.19755/page-2#post-648925

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I would love to see measurements of the phase differential of the left and right drivers like rtings since its something we can hear, is that something you could add in future testing?
It is trivial to spit out such information. Problem is, the data is essentially garbage. Tiniest positional shifts causes timing and hence phase differential between the two channels. No way that is characteristics of the headphone itself. Nor is there any assurance that you wear your headphones every time in such optimal manner. I just read the Rting description of this test and it says nothing about this problem. Maybe they don't watch the waveforms during setup and see how easy it is for interchannel differential to occur.

Maiky76

This is a review and detailed measurements of the E-MU Teak closed back headphone. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $500 with the removable cable that I tested.

I must say, as a woodworker, I have a soft spot for anything made out of wood with nice figure:

View attachment 139915

Even if you are not a woodworker, one adjustment of the headband puts a smile on your face. It moves in an out with a feeling of smoothness that is hard to describe, but easy to appreciate. Put them on your head and they just melt over you. It is not 100% comfortable due to rectangular opening of the cups but it is almost there.

Weight is average:

View attachment 139916

Cup dimensions are 59x33x24 mm (inside height, width and depth).

Note: The measurements you are about to see are made using a standardized Gras 45C. Headphone measurements by definition are approximate and variable so don't be surprised if other measurements even if performed with the same fixtures as mine, differ in end results. Protocols vary such as headband pressure and averaging (which I don't do). As you will see, I confirm the approximate accuracy of the measurements using Equalization and listening tests. Ultimately headphone measurements are less exact than speakers mostly in bass and above a few kilohertz so keep that in mind as you read these tests. If you think you have an exact idea of a headphone performance, you are likely wrong!

Fitment on the fixture was easy and good to my surprise.

E-MU Teak Measurements
Let's start with our usual frequency response measurements:

View attachment 139918

There are fair number of irregularities in the response but if you look past them, there is broad agreement with our preference curve in dashed blue. So overall tonality should be good sans the extra energy above 5 kHz which can make it sound bright. Relative graph for eq purposes shows the same:

View attachment 139919

I really like the extended bass response which we rarely see in headphones despite research indicating the listener desire and preference.

Distortion is typical in the way it rises in low frequencies:

View attachment 139920

View attachment 139921

Since we don't have to add much equalization for bass, I am not too worried about that. There is some peaking around 2.2 kHz which I wish was not there. Fortunately at lower SPL levels it barely registers.

Group delay shows the effect of some of those kinks in the response as likely being some secondary resonance or reflection:

View attachment 139922

Impedance is low and mostly flat:

View attachment 139923

Sensitivity is well above average which should make it easy to drive:
View attachment 139924

E-MU Teak Headphone Listening Tests and Equalization
At first blush, the overall tonality sounds right and combined with some spatial effects, you think you are there already. But after listening a bit more, I started to notice the extra brightness. So I brought out the EQ to see if the measurements back that or not:

View attachment 139925

I took a couple of peaks down as you see. The effect is subtle due to narrow correction. That lost a bit of spatial effects but I more than made up for it with the 3300 Hz increase. Indeed, there now was more than delightful amount of that. A bit of sub-pass boost and now you have a gorgeous sounding headphone! Very nice.

Conclusions
The E-MU Teak is beautiful to look at and hold. Objective performance out of box is near that as well. Add some EQ though and you wind up with a super nice sounding headphone with good spatial effects and superb dynamics and bass. It put a smile on my face on track after track that I played.

I am going to put the E-MU Teak on my recommendation list. With equalization, I am going to strongly recommend it.

Note: I read elsewhere that if you live in a dry place, the wooden cups can shrink so much that they can detach!

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Hi,

Here are some thoughts about the EQ.

Notes about the EQ design:
  • The average L/R is used to calculate the score.
  • The resolution is 12 points per octave interpolated from the raw data (provided by @amirm)
  • A Genetic Algorithm is used to optimize the EQ.
  • The EQ Score is designed to MAXIMIZE the Score WHILE fitting the Harman target curve with a fixed complexity.
    This will avoid weird results if one only optimizes for the Score.
    It will probably flatten the Error regression doing so, the tonal balance should be more neutral.
  • The EQs are starting point and may require tuning (certainly at LF).
  • The range around and above 10kHz is usually not EQed unless smooth enough to do so.
  • I am using PEQ (PK) as from my experience the definition is more consistent across different DSP/platform implementations than shelves.
  • With some HP/amp combo the boosts and preamp gain need to be carefully considered to avoid issues

Decent L/R match.

I have generated one EQ, the APO config file is attached.

Score no EQ: 67.2
Score Armirm: 63.0
Score with EQ: 83.3

Code:
E-MU Teak APO EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz
July092021-121156

Preamp: -2.9 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 209.72 Hz Gain -0.81 dB Q 1.75
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 147.07 Hz Gain -1.92 dB Q 0.48
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 411.75 Hz Gain 1.83 dB Q 1.63
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 906.07 Hz Gain -3.95 dB Q 1.02
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 2988.03 Hz Gain 3.35 dB Q 1.79
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 5405.39 Hz Gain -6.18 dB Q 4.59
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 8439.86 Hz Gain 1.94 dB Q 1.50
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 11229.66 Hz Gain -6.11 dB Q 4.99

E-MU Teak Dashboard.png

Attachments

• E-MU Teak APO EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz.txt
    471 bytes · Views: 96

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks Amir. Nice to see another good performer, especially at this price.

I would avoid them because of the wood, regardless of how pretty it is. There are more suitable materials for headphone cups, and more suitable applications for nice wood.

My regard as well, I'd love to see measurements with equal non-wood cups..
(manufacturer says it has impact - Some of the world's most beautiful sounds come from wood instruments. Wood is a natural material with acoustic qualities that shine. That's why the E-MU Teak's design philosophy encompasses this natural beauty that will reveal all the beautiful details your audio has to offer. )

"The wooden enclosures are fashioned from rare teak, which makes the headphones tough and durable."[product page]
"Teak consumption raises a number of environmental concerns, such as the disappearance of rare old-growth teak." [wiki]

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I remember they come in bamboo cups as well, I believe bamboo is a more sustainable option

phoenixsong

Wonder if Dekoni Fostex pads can be used on them to counter the sonic differences (hopefully positively lol)

respice finem

Major Contributor
Newcomers manage to repeatedly outperform manufacturers established since decades.
Seems the old guard has been "resting on their laurels" for far too long.
Kudos to Amir for showing it to the world.

Nice looking headphones BTW.

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
A few things I will add to the review that Amir did not cover:

2. The detachable cable it comes with, in my opinion, sucks. In my experience if you rub it on ANYTHING, you will hear it. Definitely recommend a cheap third party cable.

This. My only complaint with the Massdrop TR-X00. You have a source for these 'cheap third party cables'? I did not find any due to the unusual connector used on Fostex cans.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
1625811064936.png

Looks very similar to the teak TH-X00 I measured. Treble extension is excellent. The treble peak is fixable passively after that treble is silky smooth. Cable is garbage and was fixed in the TR-X00 and EMU because these have replaceable cables. I shortened the cable on mine.

fr-th-x00.png

Last edited:

GWolfman

Forum Donor
Thanks. Nice to see the wood not weighing these down much, or goofing up the response too bad either. ;)

earlevel

Great review as usual! Based on the measurements I'd slightly give the win to AEON RT
I'd agree...up to the point where it depends on what you're driving the headphones with—quite a difference in sensitivity. But both are of interest to me now...

Walt_Tech

It is trivial to spit out such information. Problem is, the data is essentially garbage. Tiniest positional shifts causes timing and hence phase differential between the two channels. No way that is characteristics of the headphone itself. Nor is there any assurance that you wear your headphones every time in such optimal manner. I just read the Rting description of this test and it says nothing about this problem. Maybe they don't watch the waveforms during setup and see how easy it is for interchannel differential to occur.
Thank you for the info I was unaware it was so inconsistent that is was unusable/inaccurate data

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I suspect a similar story for the rest of the Fostex woody family (Denons etc ) - all different tunings due to pads and the rest but similar underlying characteristics though I thought they may get shot down due to inherent distortion levels.

The only ones I have experienced are some D7000 I bought second hand which had been heavily modded but they are the ones I EQ the least of all my HP. Partly because I have no measurements and partly because they dont really need it. Very fun

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They're not really closed headphones as they have ports around the cups. They will leak sound out around you, so keep that in mind before you buy.

And they don't have any isolation either.

phrwn

Yeah, Tyll of Innerfidelity back then really liked it. Some reviewers claims it sounded cleaner than the Purpleheart and Mahogany versions of the TH-X00 and with more character/flavour/engagement than the Ebony version, which they described as boring in comparison. There have also been reviews liking the Fostex TH610's more "balanced" sound over the Ebony's relatively "bassy" nature. I wonder how these impressions would show up as in measurements

Attachments

• graph.png
    graph.png
    353.2 KB · Views: 192
Top Bottom