• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

E-MU Teak Review (Headphone)

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These are fixed cable right?
From the listing at Drop:

Note: Note: At checkout, choose the bamboo headphones (base price), the teak headphones (+ $50). You can also add an SXFI DAC/Amp (+ $120) or an extra pair of bamboo cups (+$80).

*Unlike previous versions of this headphone, this listing does not have a removable cable.

Cacophony

So I've been using some E-MU Teaks for the past couple of years and they're supposed to have amazing bass, but I've always found them lacking especially in the "you can feel the bass rumble" department and the K371s I just got confirm it, even though they should match when it comes to FR (I've EQed away the subbass dip of the Teaks) I just feel the bass so much more on the K371s I wonder if the Teak earpads are just not suited for my head, even when I try to press really had on them I don't really "feel" the bass ever.

mr.at

So I've been using some E-MU Teaks for the past couple of years and they're supposed to have amazing bass, but I've always found them lacking especially in the "you can feel the bass rumble" department and the K371s I just got confirm it, even though they should match when it comes to FR (I've EQed away the subbass dip of the Teaks) I just feel the bass so much more on the K371s I wonder if the Teak earpads are just not suited for my head, even when I try to press really had on them I don't really "feel" the bass ever.
wow - that's a first for me to be hearing...

mr.at

I'd love to try some Eikon pads or something to see if it's just me or if it's the stock pads that don't work for me
Well the stock pads are the most like, bass performing earpads tbh, so anything else will bring it down rather than up. Also, they have the attenuation rings which also adds to that. The way it works is how it sends down lows into the earpads as well and that's where you 'feel' the bass.

With my EMUs I mean - they do bass like no other cans in my stable, and that's why it's a bit surprising for me to hear.

Yes one thing I can tell you is that my now sold and never missed V-Moda Crossfade LP did... do a little more bass, especially the rumble (which I clearly felt with Hans Zimmer's WhySoSerious, but besides that, they're pretty bad with everything else. But still, the EMU or the Fostex TH line does do bass fantastically. And in texture, detail and layers of bass, nothing else (that I have heard) beats them.

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well the stock pads are the most like, bass performing earpads tbh, so anything else will bring it down rather than up. Also, they have the attenuation rings which also adds to that. The way it works is how it sends down lows into the earpads as well and that's where you 'feel' the bass.

With my EMUs I mean - they do bass like no other cans in my stable, and that's why it's a bit surprising for me to hear.

Yes one thing I can tell you is that my now sold and never missed V-Moda Crossfade LP did... do a little more bass, especially the rumble (which I clearly felt with Hans Zimmer's WhySoSerious, but besides that, they're pretty bad with everything else. But still, the EMU or the Fostex TH line does do bass fantastically. And in texture, detail and layers of bass, nothing else (that I have heard) beats them.
I agree. That said, I'm almost equally impressed with the bass from my new HiFiMan HE400se headphones, which were quite a bit less than what I paid for my E-MU Teak set (ouch). At times, planar magnetic bass can be a little more diffuse, but detail and pitch definition are equally good, with or without Amir's suggested PEQ fixes.

I feel fortunate to have both sets. When my lovely wife is watching her Hallmark holiday movies, I put on the E-MU Teak's so that I won't bother her. When I'm listening by myself, I'll switch to the open-back HE400se's. Powered by a THX AAA 789 amp, both are brilliant for what they cost. I imagine a few thousand dollars more might bring some improvement, but I'm more than content with what I'm hearing and do not feel compelled to explore further.

mr.at

I agree. That said, I'm almost equally impressed with the bass from my new HiFiMan HE400se headphones, which were quite a bit less than what I paid for my E-MU Teak set (ouch). At times, planar magnetic bass can be a little more diffuse, but detail and pitch definition are equally good, with or without Amir's suggested PEQ fixes.

I feel fortunate to have both sets. When my lovely wife is watching her Hallmark holiday movies, I put on the E-MU Teak's so that I won't bother her. When I'm listening by myself, I'll switch to the open-back HE400se's. Powered by a THX AAA 789 amp, both are brilliant for what they cost. I imagine a few thousand dollars more might bring some improvement, but I'm more than content with what I'm hearing and do not feel compelled to explore further.
I can imagine, surely. Yes, Hifimans are great. I myself now have the Edition XS, and yeah, not compelled for any further purchases myself either. I think with at least one biodyna cans and one good planar, one could really be set.

Good to know you're gear - I have an SMSL SH-9 myself lying back home (am in another country right now) so when I get back I believe I'll be satisfied with the amping part that I have, too.

dsnyder0cnn

Good to know you're gear - I have an SMSL SH-9 myself lying back home
The SMSL SH-9 looks sweet!

Here's a recent photo:

PSX_20211226_144516.jpeg

DAC is the Khadas Tone2 Pro, using their novel balanced RCA to XLR cables. Streamer is the ZEN Stream from iFi Audio, with an AudioQuest Cinnamon USB cable, just for decoration. Enjoy your trip. Safe travels.

mr.at

The SMSL SH-9 looks sweet!

Here's a recent photo:

View attachment 174834

DAC is the Khadas Tone2 Pro, using their novel balanced RCA to XLR cables. Streamer is the ZEN Stream from iFi Audio, with an AudioQuest Cinnamon USB cable, just for decoration. Enjoy your trip. Safe travels.
Wow - and holy! I have the exact same DAC, same red color, waiting for me! Also, how are the pads? I'm eyeing the exact same pads for my EMUs too! Tell me everything! And thank you for your wishes!!!!

dsnyder0cnn

I have the exact same DAC, same red color, waiting for me! Also, how are the pads? I'm eyeing the exact same pads for my EMUs too! Tell me everything!
Very cool. I think you'll enjoy the DAC. I recommend the Balanced RCA to XLR "adapters, available here. I purchased both the short and long versions and find use for each, although I mainly use the short ones with this amp.

I'm just using the stock pads on the E-MU…purchased from Drop.com about this time last year. I think the only thing I've not mentioned already is that I'm using a balanced cable from Heart Audio with the HE400se's. Pretty cool design. I'm using their 4-pin XLR "interconnect" with the THX AAA 789, but I also have a 3.5mm single-ended "interconnect" for use with my Topping DX3 Pro+ in my "work-from-home" rig.

My E-MM Teak's came with the fixed cables or I might consider switching to the Heart Audio system. That said, I'm not dissatisfied with the cable that came with the E-MU's.

mr.at

Very cool. I think you'll enjoy the DAC. I recommend the Balanced RCA to XLR "adapters, available here. I purchased both the short and long versions and find use for each, although I mainly use the short ones with this amp.

I'm just using the stock pads on the E-MU…purchased from Drop.com about this time last year. I think the only thing I've not mentioned already is that I'm using a balanced cable from Heart Audio with the HE400se's. Pretty cool design. I'm using their 4-pin XLR "interconnect" with the THX AAA 789, but I also have a 3.5mm single-ended "interconnect" for use with my Topping DX3 Pro+ in my "work-from-home" rig.

My E-MM Teak's came with the fixed cables or I might consider switching to the Heart Audio system. That said, I'm not dissatisfied with the cable that came with the E-MU's.
Oh yeah I have the balanced RCA to XLR, shorter ones - I grabbed them the same order from Khadas with T2Pro. Could have asked for lesser monies but $250 all in still seems okay.

Ah - I modded mine with mmcx connectors. Not the most stable (some plugs wore out), but seems like the only option without ruining them. Still convenient. Though I did this way back when the detachables weren't a thing yet. Still happy.

Stock cable is great quality - just a stubborn one - I'm using that with 2.5mms for my older he400i (figured an otherwise high quality vacuum cord shouldn't go to waste).

Heart cables looks slick! Though I gotta stop spendin so much on cables now - too much in there already.

Funny though how the pads have L and R inside - are these really stock? Never figured I'd see these stock. What I'm looking at at the moment are $10 sheepskins with otherwise the same exact spec. I think I may just bite. I have a couple of cans that could use intra pad swaps so...

jcebedo11

Just received my EMU teak headphones. compared to my old Denon Ah d2000, its nice but its not the same. After extensive listening. The EMU teak has a bit much lower midrange/upper bass. The AH d2000 sounds magical. When I put on the AH d2000, I am not aware of ANY flaws. Maybe Im so used to the ah d2000 or just extremely picky. I have not found a headphone that as close to perfection to the AH d2000. I think the EMU teak is going to be returned. Although Im second guessing maybe not return it since it is the closest sounding to the ah d2000. Definately sounds better than sennheiser hd600, hd580 or its drop counterparts. Any of you have suggestions?

Last edited:

mr.at

Just received my EMU teak headphones. compared to my old Denon Ah d2000, its nice but its not the same. After extensive listening. The EMU teak has a bit much lower midrange/upper bass. The AH d2000 sounds magical. When I put on the AH d2000, I am not aware of ANY flaws. Maybe Im so used to the ah d2000 or just extremely picky. I have not found a headphone that as close to perfection to the AH d2000. I think the EMU teak is going to be returned. Although Im second guessing maybe not return it since it is the closest sounding to the ah d2000. Definately sounds better than sennheiser hd600, hd580 or its drop counterparts. Any of you have suggestions?
Hmmm interesting - well you been with this house sound for quite long I see.

My EMU was my first foray with biodynas, and I've only just heard the TH-600s once - I love my EMUs, but I see what you're saying.
I couldn't conclude between the original Denon sound vs how this EMU sounds in comparison. But yes, I find the HD6XX inferior to the EMUs for sure.

Really depends what else you could do with the money though - personally, I don't recommend keeping too many of similar sounding cans - maybe try planars then?

Or keep EMU as a backup pair maybe?

Guess you could do it a few ways, but the final decision is up to you then.

dsnyder0cnn

I've really enjoyed my E-MU Teak's over the past year, but I picked up the HiFiMan HE400se planar magnetic headphones while they were on sale for $129 at Apos (back to $149 now, but still good value at that price). Besides the horrible cable (which I've replaced), I love everything about them and find the sound to be competitive with the E-MU's in most areas, and superior in some…impressive given the price difference.

Agree with @mr.at that it's nice to have a few pairs with different sound, just to keep things interesting. It's why I still have the Grado RS2e's as well…not the most agreeable sound, but they are definitely unique. :)

jcebedo11

Hmmm interesting - well you been with this house sound for quite long I see.

My EMU was my first foray with biodynas, and I've only just heard the TH-600s once - I love my EMUs, but I see what you're saying.
I couldn't conclude between the original Denon sound vs how this EMU sounds in comparison. But yes, I find the HD6XX inferior to the EMUs for sure.

Really depends what else you could do with the money though - personally, I don't recommend keeping too many of similar sounding cans - maybe try planars then?

Or keep EMU as a backup pair maybe?

Guess you could do it a few ways, but the final decision is up to you then.
Ive decided to keep these as a backup. The reason why I bought it is to replace the old Denon if it ever breaks given its over 10 year old age.

Malaj

Had the Emu Teak for a week now. Ordered through massdrop with minimal research didn´t even understand they even made a version without a removable cable anymore? Very short as well. Also all the pictures I see on teak has a lot more graining to them. Mine look kind of processed almost one color though there is imperfections. Make me wonder if they don´t do like the bamboo that they process it so they can get more cups out of less material?

Anyway I see good potential though I do preferr the Kennerton Magni and Ether C Flow over it. It´s mainly it´s mid bass hump that is tricky. Many tracks you are forced to listen to low levels or it will just boom you out of the town. Where magni and ether c flow is more chameleonts they bring out the bass when it´s called for. If you love bass guitars and such though you can just listen at low volume and get every single detail with the Emu Teaks but as an allrounder very questionable as the mix is seldom right with such bias toward the bass player or bass drums in the band.

For example eagles hell freezes over hotel california when the drums kick in it´s like factor 3 of my other headphones lol. Cool on it´s own and dramatic but it plays at my absolute max threshold for boominess. I then tried ERA for more bass centric music and there it just went way beyond.

Still it´s way better then the X00 Ebony which had the most proper subwoofer emulating bass I heard and interesting mid range but it just never could mix the two together. I had better memories of the Denon D7200 though I did sell it due to my Kennerton Magni being less laid back and more dynamic. Emu Teak do feel a bit more alive then the 7200 though 7200 did kind of impress more sonically.

dsnyder0cnn

Had the Emu Teak for a week now. Ordered through massdrop with minimal research didn´t even understand they even made a version without a removable cable anymore? Very short as well. Also all the pictures I see on teak has a lot more graining to them. Mine look kind of processed almost one color though there is imperfections. Make me wonder if they don´t do like the bamboo that they process it so they can get more cups out of less material?

Anyway I see good potential though I do preferr the Kennerton Magni and Ether C Flow over it. It´s mainly it´s mid bass hump that is tricky. Many tracks you are forced to listen to low levels or it will just boom you out of the town. Where magni and ether c flow is more chameleonts they bring out the bass when it´s called for. If you love bass guitars and such though you can just listen at low volume and get every single detail with the Emu Teaks but as an allrounder very questionable as the mix is seldom right with such bias toward the bass player or bass drums in the band.

For example eagles hell freezes over hotel california when the drums kick in it´s like factor 3 of my other headphones lol. Cool on it´s own and dramatic but it plays at my absolute max threshold for boominess. I then tried ERA for more bass centric music and there it just went way beyond.

Still it´s way better then the X00 Ebony which had the most proper subwoofer emulating bass I heard and interesting mid range but it just never could mix the two together. I had better memories of the Denon D7200 though I did sell it due to my Kennerton Magni being less laid back and more dynamic. Emu Teak do feel a bit more alive then the 7200 though 7200 did kind of impress more sonically.
I've not noticed that much emphasis on bass. IIRC, Amir's suggested EQ adds more bass to bring them into compliance with the target. I'm using a somewhat more relaxed correction.

Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 4.04.41 PM.png

Overall, I'm quite pleased with the tonality with or without these corrections. I have the original Sennheiser HD600 and HD650 for reference.

Malaj

We all have our preferences its fine Amir boost the bass in all his EQ:s I have seen.

And there is often big differences in the drivers event om the same model. My left and right driver is quite well matched att least.

Top Bottom