• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ZMF Caldera Headphone Review

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 48 27.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 84 47.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 16.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 17 9.6%

• Total voters

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Seriously, I am just going to say it. I get that ZMF make lovely looking and decent sounding headphones. But the prices are simply absurd. People are paying a stunningly high premium for pretty cups and average to good sound.

Good for Zach that he has found a way to turn his love of wood into a profitable business. I think why I react so strongly is that the literally cult followers do not care at all about any relationship between expense and performance. Those two metrics are so unrelated with these headphones and yet you see people collecting the same headphone in different woods. Ridiculous. If you like wood as art I have to think you could buy wonderful, original works of wooden art pieces for less.

And then you hear the people talk about how the different woods make the same headphone sound audibly different. I don't know it is just hard to fathom. I have zero doubt that Zach is a great guy, but come on people. Am I alone in thinking this? To be fair, all mega buck headphones are also grossly overpriced regardless of the cup material used. Long rant over.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And then you hear the people talk about how the different woods make the same headphone sound audibly different.
Not disputing your overall point (or necessarily agreeing with it either...) but I think different cup material could possibly affect sound via resonance or rigidity driver-cup coupling. Anyway, it's more plausible than different cables affecting the sound...

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This new article takes shots at @amirm and quotes him, in particular comments in this headphones review

Jeez louise, the article was too long, but the comments...!

I think this thread has created a lot of confusion, although I think Amir might be too in the tank for the Harman curve, as I understand it, it's because it's the only even semi-reliable, public research that quantifies real listeners' headphone preferences into a target curve. As such I think Amir sees no alternative but to support it 100% as it's the only real option to bring science to bear on a headphone review.

I also think the bit quoted in that article was more about the circle of confusion than the merits of the Harman curve itself, so a little out of context / misleading.

The bit about medical research was a bit of a stretch...

All in all I don't disagree that we could use more detailed research on headphone preference, but it's not at all easy to do rigorously.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Not disputing your overall point (or necessarily agreeing with it either...) but I think different cup material could possibly affect sound via resonance or rigidity driver-cup coupling. Anyway, it's more plausible than different cables affecting the sound...
Not very likely. Maybe if the wooden cups were so thin as to actually resonate appreciably, but that is almost certainly not the case.

Benesyed

Seriously, I am just going to say it. I get that ZMF make lovely looking and decent sounding headphones. But the prices are simply absurd. People are paying a stunningly high premium for pretty cups and average to good sound.

Good for Zach that he has found a way to turn his love of wood into a profitable business. I think why I react so strongly is that the literally cult followers do not care at all about any relationship between expense and performance. Those two metrics are so unrelated with these headphones and yet you see people collecting the same headphone in different woods. Ridiculous. If you like wood as art I have to think you could buy wonderful, original works of wooden art pieces for less.

And then you hear the people talk about how the different woods make the same headphone sound audibly different. I don't know it is just hard to fathom. I have zero doubt that Zach is a great guy, but come on people. Am I alone in thinking this? To be fair, all mega buck headphones are also grossly overpriced regardless of the cup material used. Long rant over.

I thought the performance of my Caldera was superior to my Expanse. Of the headphones I own it's the one I use the most. However most over 1K heights are not really worth it when you have EQ available

DenverW

Not very likely. Maybe if the wooden cups were so thin as to actually resonate appreciably, but that is almost certainly not the case.
How about the Fostex X00 line, made from mahogany, purpleheart, and ebony. Same driver and housing, but they all have different frequency responses.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
How about the Fostex X00 line, made from mahogany, purpleheart, and ebony. Same driver and housing, but they all have different frequency responses.
I obviously cannot guarantee what I am suggesting is true, but are you implying that you believe it is for certain the difference in wood variety used that explains those differences?

I believe that the woods have different densities, what I struggle with is the idea that these different wood varieties are milled and finished in a way that actually allows them to resonate and in that way impart an effect on the sound.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have any actual data on frequency responses and driver and housing details? Because as far as I am aware, general consensus is that the driver is tuned slightly between those revisions.

DenverW

Do you have any actual data on frequency responses and driver and housing details? Because as far as I am aware, general consensus is that the driver is tuned slightly between those revisions.
As far as cup shape and size I have to go from memory, as I've owned all three variants, with the mahogany and ebony at the same time, and the cups were the same other than wood type. I did do some cup swapping and the internals were the same as well. I believe the driver is the same type between the three, but if it is tuned differently I obviously can't tell that visually.

The internet is a funny place, because I always thought based on what I found that the driver was identical and that the wood types made the difference. Digging around now I haven't found anything conclusive; where are you finding information on different tuning for the drivers? I was able to find multiple frequency response comparisons online between the three headphones. Appreciate it!

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As far as cup shape and size I have to go from memory, as I've owned all three variants, with the mahogany and ebony at the same time, and the cups were the same other than wood type. I did do some cup swapping and the internals were the same as well. I believe the driver is the same type between the three, but if it is tuned differently I obviously can't tell that visually.

The internet is a funny place, because I always thought based on what I found that the driver was identical and that the wood types made the difference. Digging around now I haven't found anything conclusive; where are you finding information on different tuning for the drivers? I was able to find multiple frequency response comparisons online between the three headphones. Appreciate it!
I don't have any actual information either, mostly anecdotes and accounts.

Here is the FR comparison. Purpleheart is a good 8dB louder than the other two up to 400Hz. Assuming normalization is at around 550Hz, I don't think its very likely the wood type would explain the variation in FR. Clearly there are other differences.

1713024983958.jpeg

(Above) Frequency response: Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Mahogany (brown), TH-X00 Purpleheart (purple), TH-X00 Ebony (black).

Last edited:

DenverW

I don't have any actual information either, mostly anecdotes and accounts.

Here is the FR comparison. Purpleheart is a good 8dB louder than the other two up to 400Hz. Assuming normalization is at around 550Hz, I don't think its very likely the wood type would explain the variation in FR. Clearly there are other differences.

View attachment 363515
(Above) Frequency response: Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Mahogany (brown), TH-X00 Purpleheart (purple), TH-X00 Ebony (black).

I don't disagree at all, I guess the question is: how much is the wood and how much is tuning? I haven't been able to determine that. Subjective opinions abound.

giov5

I can only tell you my own personal reason for spending that much money on a pair of ZMFs.

But I think first, you need to calm down a bit with the "cult of followers" nonsense... I'm making 6 figures and live in an area with low cost of living, I can comfortably afford them. I buy them because I appreciate the effort put into their design, both in terms of looks and approach to their tuning (Even Amir gave them the 'golfing' panther and admired them for their constuction). I haven't seen too many other equivalents in the market, if any. You can definitely get "peak" audio performance for a fraction of the cost, that isn't the point. I also agree with Amir when he mentions that we all generally "Burn in" ourselves... the effect of that is stuff eventually gets boring to listen to. I like having them as something to "rotate" towards, so I can reset my brain and get that stimulation again. Also, why I like having amps that add distortion and varying levels of output impedance. I wear headphones all day because they help me focus and work. I'm also autistic, so that may also have something to do with it. I can also appreciate whatever a musical artist's intention is for a sound, but at the end of the day, I don't care about that, I just want to hear it the way I want to hear it to stimulate my brain cells in way that's pleasing to me. For the record, I appreciate ASR to death for allowing me to separate things that ACTUALLY do make a difference from the placebo and 'snake oil' products. And I often buy cheap things, cheap amps, etc to get the same affects. But Zachs headphones are definitely worth it for me because of the "Craft" of it, not just the pure objective aspect of it.

I definitely agree, any megabuck headphone is overpriced... but so are stupidly expensive cars... but the people who buy those don't get nearly as much grief over it. Lol

Last edited:

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I can only tell you my own personal reason for spending that much money on a pair of ZMFs.

But I think first, you need to calm down a bit with the "cult of followers" nonsense... I'm making 6 figures and live in an area with low cost of living, I can comfortably afford them. I buy them because I appreciate the effort put into their design, both in terms of looks and approach to their tuning (Even Amir gave them the 'golfing' panther and admired them for their constuction). I haven't seen too many other equivalents in the market, if any. You can definitely get "peak" audio performance for a fraction of the cost, that isn't the point. I also agree with Amir when he mentions that we all generally "Burn in" ourselves... the effect of that is stuff eventually gets boring to listen to. I like having them as something to "rotate" towards, so I can reset my brain and get that stimulation again. Also, why I like having amps that add distortion and varying levels of output impedance. I wear headphones all day because they help me focus and work. I'm also autistic, so that may also have something to do with it. I can also appreciate whatever a musical artist's intention is for a sound, but at the end of the day, I don't care about that, I just want to hear it the way I want to hear it to stimulate my brain cells in way that's pleasing to me. For the record, I appreciate ASR to death for allowing me to separate things that ACTUALLY do make a difference from the placebo and 'snake oil' products. And I often buy cheap things, cheap amps, etc to get the same affects. But Zachs headphones are definitely worth it for me because of the "Craft" of it, not just the pure objective aspect of it.

I definitely agree, any megabuck headphone is overpriced... but so are stupidly expensive cars... but the people who buy those don't get nearly as much grief over it. Lol
I don't need to calm down, thank you for the suggestion though. Your personal experience is of course valid, but in no way invalidates the almost cult like following of many ZMF collectors. I am entitled to my opinion there, and I hold it firmly. I have almost 13 000 posts at head-fi and I have read every ZMF thread ever posted there, so my opinion is not just an off-the-cuff blather, it is founded in actual observation. Does it make my assertion fact? Of course not, not any more or less than your single data point invalidates it either.

Mr Swing King

At the very least one gets great build quality and a great wooden design with ZMFs. They’re not selling you a scarecrow with two scourers as pads like Raal does.
Plus they’re handmade. Those things are all heartwarming to me, and I fully understand why ZMF has attracted so many folks to the brand. Heck my woodworking buddy swears by ZMF.

From a pure sound quality perspective though, there are cheaper and better options out there imho….but then you end up without the wood. Oh well.
I’d much rather listen to the HD650 over the Atrium Open. The same goes for the HD490 vs the Verité Open…and the HD58X quite handily beats out the Aeolus whereas the HD600 trumps the Auteur. No planar Sennie to conquer the Caldera but the Edition XS does the job.
But….none of them are as gorgeous as the ZMFs.

giov5

I don't need to calm down, thank you for the suggestion though. Your personal experience is of course valid, but in no way invalidates the almost cult like following of many ZMF collectors. I am entitled to my opinion there, and I hold it firmly. I have almost 13 000 posts at head-fi and I have read every ZMF thread ever posted there, so my opinion is not just an off-the-cuff blather, it is founded in actual observation. Does it make my assertion fact? Of course not, not any more or less than your single data point invalidates it either
eh, to each their own, I suppose. You asked and just wanted to offer some perspective. You do you, buddy. ;)

A Surfer

Major Contributor
eh, to each their own, I suppose. You asked and just wanted to offer some perspective. You do you, buddy. ;)
Fair enough, I did ask, and I am not disagreeing with your personal rationale for buying a ZMF headphone. How could I right?

giov5

Fair enough, I did ask, and I am not disagreeing with your personal rationale for buying a ZMF headphone. How could I right?
I think, honestly, there are extremist in every fandom, opinion, religion, whatever you want to go into of a lot of things. I think most people are generally pretty rationale. Like I definitely don't have nearly as many posts on head Fi (I don't even go there anymore) so I'll take your word for it there. The extreme loudmouths in this hobby who say this way or that way is how it is and aren't open to other perspectives is a big reason why I kind of stepped away from the online component for so long. I just recently poked my head back in. Like I wish, people could just enjoy things and share that enjoyment and talk about it without pissing on each other so much. I like that things have at least progressed in a lot of ways. As I mentioned too, I'm on the spectrum, so I just have a hard time understanding people sometimes.

DenverW

I don't need to calm down, thank you for the suggestion though. Your personal experience is of course valid, but in no way invalidates the almost cult like following of many ZMF collectors. I am entitled to my opinion there, and I hold it firmly. I have almost 13 000 posts at head-fi and I have read every ZMF thread ever posted there, so my opinion is not just an off-the-cuff blather, it is founded in actual observation. Does it make my assertion fact? Of course not, not any more or less than your single data point invalidates it either.
I'm also not a fan of the 'cult' label, as it can basically be applied willy nilly to fit someone's opinion. If I were looking at a product that had a huge and enthusiastic following, I might instead ask myself why there are so many 'fans.' I've also read the threads at the other website, and I find that I trust the opinion of people who have owned and tried a product more than people who have not. Sure, there are biases there, but there are biases here as well.

Although I like reading about other people's opinions and experiences, I've been able to test enough headphones to have a clear idea of what I personally enjoy.

Top Bottom