• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dynaudio Core 47 Review (Professional Monitor)

jasoncd

Yes, they are pretty bulky; I think they are almost square from the side and are very nearly as deep as they are tall, deeper if you allow space for cables. I made a bigger 4ft/1.2m deep desk to put mine on. :)

The picture is great helping visualize with my setup. My desk is 30" deep, but I have it pulled 20" off the wall and have stands behind the desk. That's probably pretty similar to the room you have to work with. The deeper desk you have is nice - I wish I could push my monitor back further than the edge of the desk, to get my speakers further back. Having the speakers behind the monitor (about as far to the sides as your picture) does some weird things to the FR.

Space for cables is a good point. I'm running passives right now, and speaker cables need less allowance than a power cable. If I keep the front baffle of the speaker aligned with my monitor, that would give me about 16" to 19" from front baffle to the wall. 16" from the inside of the speaker and 19" from the outside.

And I can't tell if that's a 945 or what, but good choice in watch face!

I've just purchased a pair of Core 7's from BAX in the UK. They seem to be selling the cheapest in the UK at the moment. After some discounts I paid > £2k for a pair. I'm going Mac Mini M1 -> USB -> SMSL SU-8 -> XLR -> Dynaudio Core's.

I had initially (2 years ago) lusted after the 59 or 47, but in my room those speakers would have been just too much for the room. I have been guilty of doing this in the past with other HiFi projects. With the dip switch limiting this to 100db is more than enough and that saying something as I do like a can of beer and some hi volume music !

The build quality of these speakers is great, I can't fault them in any way. Nice simple dip switches on the rear. Set and forget, which I like. With too many options or settings on a speaker or DAC you just fiddle lot's.

I do like the harsh black utilitarian finish of these speakers, if I knock them a little a black felt tip will sort it out. Of course I don't intend to do such things as I look after my equipment, but things do happen !

Even though I knew the depth of these speakers I was still surprised by the depth. I will have to pull my table out a little more to handle the size or even build something myself (I refurbish property so should be able to make something).

I've not put any sound treatment into my room yet, my room is also less than ideal, but I can live with that. Once I get things setup a little more I will put up a few pics. I'm using a 55" OLED for my computer monitor which gives me a monster screen ! It's then down to weather I get the S18 sub... I'd love the Core Sub, but they are rather expensive. However, BAX have dropped the core sub to £2875 ish... No... The wife would murder me !

Attachments

• IMG_7934 2.jpeg
    IMG_7934 2.jpeg
    232 KB · Views: 117

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Look forward to seeing them set up and your listening impressions, have you considered the Dynaudio 18s sub as it has presets for the core 7’s.

I could be biased as I use the 18s with my LYD 48’s, brilliant setup for my needs.

@Somafunk The 18S ( from my research ) would seem like the perfect match. And I can notice the roll off from these speakers. I had previous had the Buchardt A500's which would go down to about 23Hz on there own. However, I had to send them back ( long story ) as it was like being a Beta tester owning them. Great when they worked.

Prior to that I had AVI Active speakers with a separate Sub. So, I am used to having those lower octaves filled out. Not in a boomy way, in a subtle way. You miss so much subtly to music by not having that extra depth.

formantzero

So it’s been a year now, did Dynaudio not reach out to Amir? My suspicion is that they did but could not see eye to eye on anything and Amir therefore made no update to the initial review.

I really should stop reading this forum. I don’t know why I clicked on this link but honestly, ASR has served only one purpose: to make me feel crappy about all my gear. First it ruined the Focal Stellia, now my beloved Core 47’s.

I sank a lot into this system, particularly on the audio interface front as it required months of research to find a reasonably sized system that could send proper AES-EBU digital to the Core 47. Ended up with a MOTU 624 and MOTU 8D pair connected to each other with Ethernet. I also have the Core Sub which is magnificent to my ears.

Question: I’m assuming Amir measured using the analog inputs. Any chance the AES-EBU digital input would’ve sounded better, given Dynaudio has tuned the built in dac and amp to sound ideal for this monitor?

Question: are there any other well-measuring monitors out there that use an AES-EBU input and have a sub? I don’t want to go back to analog given I could’ve bought a decent used car with the money I’ve sunk into this.

Note: my room is treated.
Also note: front porting probably doesn’t matter since I have the Core 47 in HP mode and the Core Sub in LP mode handling the low end.

Jaxjax

So it’s been a year now, did Dynaudio not reach out to Amir? My suspicion is that they did but could not see eye to eye on anything and Amir therefore made no update to the initial review.

I really should stop reading this forum. I don’t know why I clicked on this link but honestly, ASR has served only one purpose: to make me feel crappy about all my gear. First it ruined the Focal Stellia, now my beloved Core 47’s.

I sank a lot into this system, particularly on the audio interface front as it required months of research to find a reasonably sized system that could send proper AES-EBU digital to the Core 47. Ended up with a MOTU 624 and MOTU 8D pair connected to each other with Ethernet. I also have the Core Sub which is magnificent to my ears.

Question: I’m assuming Amir measured using the analog inputs. Any chance the AES-EBU digital input would’ve sounded better, given Dynaudio has tuned the built in dac and amp to sound ideal for this monitor?

Question: are there any other well-measuring monitors out there that use an AES-EBU input and have a sub? I don’t want to go back to analog given I could’ve bought a decent used car with the money I’ve sunk into this.

Also note: front porting probably doesn’t matter since I have the Core 47 in HP mode and the Core Sub in LP mode handling the low end.
please tell me about the core sub... Ive almost pulled trigger on it many times for my 59's but it really would be for just gotta have it reasons as I'm happy as is but still curiouse on how good that unit is.
Also don't let ASR or Amir pick your gear man, if you you like it thats all that counts. I send alot of people Dynaudio's way especially there pro gear as I see the core series as a steal for for what your actually getting, which is alot.
The system you just listed looks superb to me & I suspect would embarrass many a higher $ set ups

please tell me about the core sub... Ive almost pulled trigger on it many times for my 59's but it really would be for just gotta have it reasons as I'm happy as is but still curiouse on how good that unit is.
Also don't let ASR or Amir pick your gear man, if you you like it thats all that counts. I send alot of people Dynaudio's way especially there pro gear as I see the core series as a steal for for what your actually getting, which is alot.
The system you just listed looks superb to me & I suspect would embarrass many a higher $ set ups
In reference to allowing this web site sway your purchasing decisions. Two years ago, I bought £500 DAC reviewed on Amir's site. Measured amazingly well ect. So, I used it and could not hear one difference to the inboard one I had on my active speakers. Suffice to say, it went back under distance selling rules. Where needed just used a £20 USB -> Spidif converter into my Active speakers.

In relation to the 18S sub with you 59's. I've used subs with Active speakers for 12 years and they really do make a difference. It's like adding a sub to a home theatre, it's the icing on the cake. The fact it has pre-sets for the Core speakers means any 'fiddly' work is done for you. They just fill out the bottom end.

And depending where you live, if you don't like it. Just send it back. Some sites in the UK will do this return for free.

Will I buy the 18S for my Core 7's ? Yes, when I find it at the price I am willing to pay. Will I like it, if it can go down to 16Hz, hell, anything below 20Hz will add a lot to the 'feel' of the music.

Allow these reviews here 'assist' you, but sometimes it's down to what you like. In the UK you can buy the 18S for £1k if you look closely. A separate sub I think has a lot of advantages to a full range speaker that can go low, as you can position it in relation to any room modes you might ( will ) have.

You will not be able to buy ANYTHING thats a monitor system that will touch that at pretty much any price range. I think it's a killer combo ( on paper ). I'm surprised more HiFi people don't take a look at some of the pro - stuff... Much longer lasting, and subjectively unpleasant to look at !

jasoncd

Will I buy the 18S for my Core 7's ? Yes, when I find it at the price I am willing to pay.

The 18s has presets for Dynaudio monitors, or so I read. If you do get the 18s, it would be cool to know if the Core series of monitors are available as presets. I couldn't find anything on their website about it. Thomann US has the 18s for $1,175 which looks like a great price to me, just have to worry about shipping from Europe and returning if there are any issues, warranty, etc.

I've heard people with Genelec's say the AES input sounds better. In theory I'd guess not much difference? It adds an extra conversion but I'm not sure how audible that would be. But who knows?

Genelec has several, Neuman as well although outside the upcoming KH 150 I think the digital versions are more expensive. Adam has monitors with AES input, so does JBL although the 705p and 708p seem to be on a long backlog right now.

Not sure what your listening distance is but I still struggle with the reviews and data here in translating it to nearfield listening. In other words, if something is problematic in the measurements, is it less problematic if I'm listening at 1 to 2m?

I still like the looks of the Core series. I like the dense cabinets, the high power amps, the AES inputs. I like that drivers are built in house. If you like they way the 47s sound I'd be happy with them, and if you're in doubt REW and a microphone would be a great way to tinker. You could try some EQ or room correction to taste.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
The 18s has presets for Dynaudio monitors, or so I read. If you do get the 18s, it would be cool to know if the Core series of monitors are available as presets. I couldn't find anything on their website about it.
I just crawled behind my 18s to check, it only has presets for LYD and BM but it does have a full manual setup option which you could use to do the same job.

I thought the 18s did have presets for the core range but I guess Dynaudio wants to shill their core sub instead, absolutely no excuse for not including the core in 18s

Last edited:
If you love the sound of Core 47, then just enjoy it. It doesn't matter what the measurements say if you're satisfied with them.

In any case the Harman score of this speaker is 5.0, which is good enough. Also in your room the produced sound is not the same as in Amir's room (which is relevant to Amir's subjective impressions).

YSC

Major Contributor

well it might not be that crappy IRL, when we have crappy rooms, the differences reduces, but tbh, if you use in a mostly fixed position, do some minor PEQ using what the DSP can get could improve things quite a bit, it's overpriced for what it delivers in Amirm's review, but it isn't really bad TBH

jasoncd

I just crawled behind my 18s to check, it only has presets for LYD and BM but it does have a full manual setup option which you could use to do the same job.

I thought the 18s did have presets for the core range but I guess Dynaudio wants to shill their core sub instead, absolutely no excuse for not including the core in 18s

Thanks for checking! I had a feeling they would not have updated it, but glad there's still a manual option. I read, maybe on gearspace, that a firmware update had removed some crossover options. It was an older post though.

That reminds me though, I couldn't find any firmware info when I searched their website. I was specifically looking to see what they had updated on the Core 7, but couldn't find any firmware history, what had been revised, etc. This and the lack of measurements for the Core series (while the Lyd series does have measurements) puts me off a bit.

formantzero

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I bought this system because I’ve used Dynaudio for years in my hifi and home theatre setup. I eventually upgraded to Evoke 50’s with a Sub 6 and love them.

The BM6A mkii was a real icon in the world of monitors, and I’d read a lot about how Dynaudios are used around the world in radio and film/tv, eg the BBC etc. so I felt confident this was a reputable company.

The fact that it was all digital bypassed any concerns about what DAC to use, and I am all for keeping things digital as long as possible until the last possible moment. So when these were released I was super excited by the hype. Maybe I bought into it too much, I actually got these when they were still quite new and there was almost no review literature beyond press announcements from NAMM and so forth.

I also absolutely love the industrial finish. And I was quite happy with them. But when I ended up with a bit of extra funds I decided to add the hugely expensive Core Sub and frankly I was blown away.

I think what attracted me to the Sub was the way it digitally connects to the whole chain. It’s just another component in the AES-EBU chain. I think I have the cable going from my MOTU 8D into the right Core 47 which then connects to the left one which then connects to the Core Sub. Such a clean solution. Less cable clutter and cleaner desk.

Beyond that a selling point was the plug and play setup in terms of crossover. They were built for each other, so just set the monitors to HP and the sub to LP, and you’re off to the races.

I found the corner/wall settings to be way too tame so I managed to find a spot with just enough clearance all around for Dynaudio to recommend the anechoic, free setting. Once I chose that, even with all three speakers at the lowest SPL setting of 88, the sound was unlike anything I’ve ever heard. This thing just moves so much air.

What struck me was the degree of control in the low frequencies. I feel like I’m hearing each thump of the bass as more of a razor sharp delivery that then decays quickly if mastered that way. There are no long tails unless the music was mastered that way. I took this to come from the entirely sealed design. Never had a sub or any speaker that was completely sealed (unless with passive radiators so not exactly sealed). It’s incredible.

I think using the sub frees up the 47’s to have a much easier time of reproducing the rest of the response. And the sun integrates so well that I don’t get any directionality in the low end. The bass really feels like it’s coming from the 47’s. Might be that they implemented the Linkwitz Riley crossover really well. And the fact they’re all in the same AES-EBU chain means (I assume) that there is no DSP delay separating digital from analog speakers, basically they can all reproduce sound with the correct timing.

I frankly find it hard to believe that any other sub can touch this unless you went up to 10K+ levels and I haven’t even researched if such a thing exists. Four woofers and the sealed design and crazy amplification plus digital input makes this thing my prized possession.

If Dynaudio ever came out with another set of nearfield monitors that tested better, I’d probably upgrade the 47’s. But only if they could drop into this AES-EBU chain and work flawlessly with the Core Sub which is just a revelation. So unbelievably tight and controlled but able to deliver massively low.

Note: I have these on my standing desk, on short desk stands and then isoacoustic stands on top of that. They’re a bit large and unwieldy but it works. But for that reason they’re actually quite close to my ears. Very very near field. So maybe they sound better in that regard and directivity is less of an issue?

Also note: the Core Sub was so damn good that it’s what caused me to buy the Sub 6 for my home theatre.

formantzero

Also, I find it odd that neither Amir nor anyone else posted any update in here regarding whether Dynaudio contacted him, after that poster mentioned Dynaudio's opinion on this thread. Maybe for legal reasons? If they disputed his methodology you'd think they would post a reasoned argument against it and Amir would put that up in the thread (with counter-counter-arguments, of course). It's strange that all we got was crickets.

I've emailed Dynaudio Tec Support about the S18 settings for the Core monitors. When I get a reply, I will point out the thread as I'm sure it's putting off people from purchasing, especially as their are so few reviews. But then, we are looking for reviews in HiFi related outlets, it could be different in professional outlets. To be honest I bet they don't care, they want something that's rugged and will last 20 years easy to plug and go.... It's us lot who are perhaps more hung up on the specific technical aspects... I really should not have read @formantzero review.... Darn the core Sub !!! I will however have a look at the MOTU 8D.

Jaxjax

I frankly find it hard to believe that any other sub can touch this unless you went up to 10K+ levels and I haven’t even researched if such a thing exists. Four woofers and the sealed design and crazy amplification plus digital input makes this thing my prized possession.
Thank you for helping me spend $4500.
VK & SW have been waiting for my phone call on this anyway.:cool:

YSC

Major Contributor
I've emailed Dynaudio Tec Support about the S18 settings for the Core monitors. When I get a reply, I will point out the thread as I'm sure it's putting off people from purchasing, especially as their are so few reviews. But then, we are looking for reviews in HiFi related outlets, it could be different in professional outlets. To be honest I bet they don't care, they want something that's rugged and will last 20 years easy to plug and go.... It's us lot who are perhaps more hung up on the specific technical aspects... I really should not have read @formantzero review.... Darn the core Sub !!! I will however have a look at the MOTU 8D.
Actually sens the price I considered them to pair with the Genelecs as their depth is slim enough to go under the desk yet goes below 20. But since it cost is more than double of 7040 I ended up go for budget and 5cm extra legroom

formantzero

The 8D will require another MOTU interface capable of AVB ethernet, I opted for the MOTU 624. It was a bit more than I wanted to spend on an interface stack but it was less than a full width 1u rackspace pro studio interface. These are quite compact and look unobtrusive stacked on top of each other.

@formantzero Ah... I was under the impression I could go Mac->USB->MOTU->AES->Core 7's. If that is not the case I might look for another AES convertor, other wise I think I will be spending more than perhaps I want.

However, it has highlighted one thing I might have missed initially with the Core 7's. And realised here is that perhaps rather than using a Mac->USB->DAC->XLR->Core 7's I could also do Mac->USB->AES Converter->Core 7's.

This is essentially what I did with my old AVI DM10's Mac->USB->Spidif->AVI DM10 ( no use of external DAC, because when I did I could not hear a difference from the internal DAC that was supplied with the AVI DM10's.

This would be a 'cleaner' route. I've had a quick browse and there are quite a few solutions out in the wild.

Top Bottom