• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dynaudio Core 47 Review (Professional Monitor)

Flak

Industry Insider
You said what you seeing here (which I presume the waterfall graph) "the magnitude response which completely removes any information about the behavior in the time domain." In other words the waterfall chart above shows that FFT is not working. That is what I understand.
No, I'm referring to the so-called "frequency response" which actually is a magnitude response

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No, I'm referring to the so-called "frequency response" which actually is a magnitude response
Waterfall is a frequency response, measured at various times delays. How do you differentiate between a magnitude response and a frequency response? Aren't they the same?

witwald

Forum Donor
Waterfall is a frequency response, measured at various times delays. How do you differentiate between a magnitude response and a frequency response? Aren't they the same?
The frequency response includes magnitude response information and phase response information. Both are needed to quantify the loudspeaker system under test. Many measurements simply report the magnitude-response component of the loudspeaker's transfer function, but still label it as frequency response.

MM47

Hey all, I'm an owner of the Core 47's and Core sub and having issues with a high pitch whine emanating from the 4" driver. Is there any other owners of the Core 47's here?

Matt

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey all, I'm an owner of the Core 47's and Core sub and having issues with a high pitch whine emanating from the 4" driver. Is there any other owners of the Core 47's here?

Matt
Maybe a silly question but does the whine exists when there is no music playing?

MM47

Maybe a silly question but does the whine exists when there is no music playing?
Yes, and also with no AES or XLR cables in place. It's only from the 4" driver and low volume but we work with forensic audio and music in a quiet monitoring space. It's enough of a level to be really annoying after a while. Attached are a couple of images to show the peaks. This is a simple test using a microphone at about 10cm from the driver recording just the powered up monitor with no attachments.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    412.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    421.9 KB · Views: 72

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, and also with no AES or XLR cables in place. It's only from the 4" driver and low volume but we work with forensic audio and music in a quiet monitoring space. It's enough of a level to be really annoying after a while. Attached are a couple of images to show the peaks. This is a simple test using a microphone at about 10cm from the driver recording just the powered up monitor with no attachments.
That indicates a fault in the amplifier system, not a specific driver.

MM47

Not a power or DSP system issue? I can't be the only Core47 owner with this issue! Dynaudio are checking out the faulty monitor soon but this is my third unit and thought I'd check online if anyone had this issue.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

MM47

Thanks for the clarification, I have a contact at B&W speakers (I live near the factory) and maybe I'll get it scientifically tested myself if I can.

Matt

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not a power or DSP system issue? I can't be the only Core47 owner with this issue! Dynaudio are checking out the faulty monitor soon but this is my third unit and thought I'd check online if anyone had this issue.
You have had multiple units with the same issue? If so it sounds like a design issue. How loud is it?

MM47

You have had multiple units with the same issue? If so it sounds like a design issue. How loud is it?
It's very low level but enough to be an issue. My ear is just over a metre away from the driver but once you notice it, then you can't not here it. I should add that Dynaudio have responded quickly and politely and are awaiting the unit for testing. Attached is a non-scientific recording of the left and right monitor powered up. The mic is a few centimetres away from the 4" driver. I supplied this to show Dynaudio that the left speaker was working fine but when I analysed the audio I saw a peak in both monitors. Attached is the recording.

Attachments

• Dynaudio Core 47 High Pitch Sound Left and Right monitor example.zip
    847.8 KB · Views: 64

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's very low level but enough to be an issue. My ear is just over a metre away from the driver but once you notice it, then you can't not here it.
Oh, I've been there, this sort of issue is torture for my brain, CRT & CPU coil whine drive me mad.

If it's in both it sounds like it might be bad shielding bleeding into the amps, or something similar, they may only be able to improve it if it's poor design. But hopefully they can fix it properly.

Jaxjax

I run the 59's & will try to get these off for measure testing for all to see. The 59 is a different animal & definately worth the $ to me but measurements will be great to see.
Joe

Erizo

Hi I own the 47s and I don't have this issue. Mine are very quiet. I use mogami cables and Motu m4 sound card.

jasoncd

I wish Dynaudio had gotten in touch with Amir. I'm not interested in the Core 47, but the Core 7 is a consideration. There's not much out there about the Core 7, and while the Core 47 performance may have no relation to the Core 7, it doesn't give me a lot of confidence. I had read about their Jupiter facility, and thought they'd be a fairly safe bet.

Back on topic for the Core 47 owners, how to you find the hiss? Maybe not an issue since it's more midfield but curious after reading about hiss on the two way Lyd models.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I wish Dynaudio had gotten in touch with Amir. I'm not interested in the Core 47, but the Core 7 is a consideration. There's not much out there about the Core 7, and while the Core 47 performance may have no relation to the Core 7, it doesn't give me a lot of confidence. I had read about their Jupiter facility, and thought they'd be a fairly safe bet.

Back on topic for the Core 47 owners, how to you find the hiss? Maybe not an issue since it's more midfield but curious after reading about hiss on the two way Lyd models.

For what its worth, I've had the Core 7s, together with an 18s Subwoofer for a while now and I'm very happy with them. I used a UMIK-1 measuring microphone: https://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/umik-1 and REW: https://www.roomeqwizard.com/ to generate room correction PEQ settings and I think they sound great, I like the look of them too, :) but bear in mind, I have not compared them to any of the highly recommended monitors from the likes of Genelec, Neumann, etc.

Regarding the hiss, I have the Core 7s nearfield, about 1m from my listening position, and when I first set them up the hiss was quite noticeable, but by lowering the input sensitivity I was able to reduce the hiss such that I can no longer hear it, see here: https://www.dynaudio.com/professional-audio/core/core-7/support/manual/en/adjusting-the-volume

1660261737760.png

Jaxjax

I wouldn't shy away from the Core 7. I have ran the Core 59's since they came out & assure you they are nothing but awesome in every respect. I don't run subs with them but do run an Elysia PEQ in my chain. I used to run Dirac live but prefer the Elysia. I feel the 59's are some of the best deals out there for what ya get. Build quality is tippy top notch & sonics are superb. Amps are Pascal as you probably know.

jasoncd

For what its worth, I've had the Core 7s, together with an 18s Subwoofer for a while now and I'm very happy with them. I used a UMIK-1 measuring microphone: https://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/umik-1 and REW: https://www.roomeqwizard.com/ to generate room correction PEQ settings and I think they sound great, I like the look of them too, :) but bear in mind, I have not compared them to any of the highly recommended monitors from the likes of Genelec, Neumann, etc.

Regarding the hiss, I have the Core 7s nearfield, about 1m from my listening position, and when I first set them up the hiss was quite noticeable, but by lowering the input sensitivity I was able to reduce the hiss such that I can no longer hear it, see here: https://www.dynaudio.com/professional-audio/core/core-7/support/manual/en/adjusting-the-volume

That's really helpful, and I appreciate the feedback. I'm about 1m away with my current setup, and I'd say I have room to move that back some but the Core 7 are SO deep, well probably not without moving some furniture. I've got a miniDSP SHD studio and 2 x SVS 3000 micros, so ready to integrate whatever I end up going with.
I wouldn't shy away from the Core 7. I have ran the Core 59's since they came out & assure you they are nothing but awesome in every respect. I don't run subs with them but do run an Elysia PEQ in my chain. I used to run Dirac live but prefer the Elysia. I feel the 59's are some of the best deals out there for what ya get. Build quality is tippy top notch & sonics are superb. Amps are Pascal as you probably know.

Build quality is a consideration for sure. Maybe it sounds strange, but that's part of what I like about the Core series from what I've read. Beefed up cabinet, in house made drivers, etc. It's a balance I suppose, willing to pay more for intangibles like that but not at a sacrifice of sound quality.

If I could get Europe pricing on the Genelec Ones here in the US, this might be moot. 8341a are about 2 times the price I can get the Core 7's though, and I have a pair of M030 that never really clicked with me.

I wish I had the space for a traditional three way, the Core 59s or many other options would be nice!

Top Bottom