• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dspeaker Anti-Mode 2.0

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
FWIWFM I use Dirac Live full-range but my room is heavily treated so needs some HF boost. That said it is not doing much past about 150 Hz or so (little difference between before and after curves).

I am past the time when I want to tweak endlessly. I did a first set-up over a few hours, then it stayed that way for a few months until I got time to dial in the subs better, then it stayed for years until I switched speakers. Just one session that time and have not touched it since.

Fitz, I have Salon 2's; tell your friend if he'd bought better speakers he wouldn't need to tweak so much. :D (Joke, guys!)
Yes, well, to paraphrase and adapt the old horses and water adage, you can lead some audiophiles to great speakers and equipment, but you can't make many of them stop tweaking. My friend's sound is very good untweaked, but he just compulsively needs to keep doing it in a constant state of audiophile agita. What a waste of time, precious hours he could just relax with the music with great sound. At least, his tweaking takes the form of something with measurable effect, not cable risers or other snake oil.

Listening with him is also very frustrating. He used to sit an arm's length from his old Cello Palette preamp, adjusting volume level and EQ on the fly with every track - unconsciously, because it was so habitual. To him, Dirac has now superceded the Cello, but with only its four different pre tweaked target curves. I had to tell him if he wants to play something for me, he has got to keep his hands off during play and let me adjust volume gently using just the default Dirac target, which sounds terrific to me. I would much rather listen to a track in its entirety without level or EQ adjustments along the way, as is his habit.

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Yes, well, to paraphrase and adapt the old horses and water adage, you can lead some audiophiles to great speakers and equipment, but you can't make many of them stop tweaking. My friend's sound is very good untweaked, but he just compulsively needs to keep doing it in a constant state of audiophile agita. What a waste of time, precious hours he could just relax with the music with great sound. At least, his tweaking takes the form of something with measurable effect, not cable risers or other snake oil.

Listening with him is also very frustrating. He used to sit an arm's length from his old Cello Palette preamp, adjusting volume level and EQ on the fly with every track - unconsciously, because it was so habitual. To him, Dirac has now superceded the Cello, but with only its four different pre tweaked target curves. I had to tell him if he wants to play something for me, he has got to keep his hands off during play and let me adjust volume gently using just the default Dirac target, which sounds terrific to me. I would much rather listen to a track in its entirety without level or EQ adjustments along the way, as is his habit.
That’s my living hell..

Jake's Dad

This is perhaps a dead thread, but just in case a +1 on the Anti-Mode. I've had one for about 2 years and it really cured some some bass bloom and boundary issues I had below about 100 mHz. Although it has a nice EQ capability up and down the spectrum, it is really designed to focus on issues below 150mHz, where DSP can have the most salutory effect with a minimum of artificiality. So folks who say it's "good for subs" are spot on. Oh, and the before and after plots are pretty.

Cheers, Alex

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
This is perhaps a dead thread, but just in case a +1 on the Anti-Mode. I've had one for about 2 years and it really cured some some bass bloom and boundary issues I had below about 100 mHz. Although it has a nice EQ capability up and down the spectrum, it is really designed to focus on issues below 150mHz, where DSP can have the most salutory effect with a minimum of artificiality. So folks who say it's "good for subs" are spot on. Oh, and the before and after plots are pretty.

Cheers, Alex

Does it do anything you can't do with REW / Acourate these days?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Probably not but it provides a self-contained turnkey solution for those who do not want to mess with measuring and such with something like REW. IMO, REW is quite a beast for a non-technical audiophile or other person to learn, and then they have to figure out what to do with the results. Reminds me of the comments I used to make about those who thought using computers was simple hadn't tried to teach their grandmother. ("I'm done, how do I turn it off?" "Click the start icon and select shutdown." "What's a click? Click what? And what's an icon? And why do I need to start it to shut it down?" Etc.)

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does it do anything you can't do with REW / Acourate these days?
I don't use a computer for music much. The DSPeaker antimode can be inserted between a CD transport and DAC, or even in a tape loop in a preamp so it works with CDs and LPs.

Jake's Dad

Also, for those interested in using it provide DSP compensation for analog sources, the DSPeaker is said to do "bit perfect" AD >> DA conversion. Not being technically qualified, I'm not sure exactly what that is, but it sure sounds reassuring. For my own part, I have never heard a digital artifact while playing LP's through the DSpeaker signal chain. I'm "pretty sure" it does what it says on the box.

Cheers, Alex

Willem

Major Contributor
Since the benefit is greatest in the case of subs, people may want to consider the much cheaper Antimode 8033 for sub use only. I have one (Quad 2805 main speakers and B&W PV1d sub) and the result is impressive. Whereas before I had the Antimode the stats and the sub did not integrate that well, they now do, with clean and tight bass. In my case, it is connected with an attenuation cable to the speaker outputs, and of course it works with every source that I use. That is the big difference with my other - desktop - system, where I only use a computer as a source. There I just measured response in REW and uploaded a correction curve into the Equalizer APO software on my PC.
If you want to have a unit that not only equalizes your sub but also your main speakers, and takes care of the crossover, you may want to have the new DSpeaker Antimode X4. But bring a lot of money, even if it also serves as a DAC/preamp.

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I had this for many years, but recently sold it when I changed my living room speakers to Genelec 8340, which have an in-built DSP room correction, which is quite a lot better than with this DSpeaker. Still a REALLY good device!

Dathzo

I had this for many years, but recently sold it when I changed my living room speakers to Genelec 8340, which have an in-built DSP room correction, which is quite a lot better than with this DSpeaker. Still a REALLY good device!
I’m in a similar dilemma. I have at the moment Genelecs 8030, which I love. I have tried the antimode 2.0, which is a clear improvement in the room: bass bloatness was gone and the music sounded clearly better.

I am convinced that room correction is the way to go. My shortlist of options are:

1. Antimode 2.0 + 8030
2. Upgrade to Genelec 8340 with GLM
3. Minidsp SHD (Dirac) + 8030

I also plan to add a subwoofer to the chain (would need to be Genelec for option 2, but thinking about SVS SB-1000 Pro for options 1 and 3).

any perspective is welcome, not sure if this is the right thread though.

Thanks!

soundwave76

Forum Donor
I have had the two first setups and then upgraded to 8340 with in-built GLM room correction. Take this route. Sound improved A LOT compared to the 8040 + Dspeaker.

Dathzo

I have had the two first setups and then upgraded to 8340 with in-built GLM room correction. Take this route. Sound improved A LOT compared to the 8040 + Dspeaker.
Thank you so much, appreciated!
Do you have subs as well in your setup?
I suppose you have not tried Dirac to compare it to GLM?

all the best.-

soundwave76

Forum Donor
No, I have the 8340 set in my living room and it doesn't need a sub for my use. I have a small 7350 sub in another room with the 8331 and those benefit from the sub. It would be a breeze to add for example 7360 sub for the 8340 and the GLM would calibrate them in an instant.

I have not tried Dirac. I trust in GLM 100% :)

Dathzo

No, I have the 8340 set in my living room and it doesn't need a sub for my use. I have a small 7350 sub in another room with the 8331 and those benefit from the sub. It would be a breeze to add for example 7360 sub for the 8340 and the GLM would calibrate them in an instant.

I have not tried Dirac. I trust in GLM 100% :)
That’s the Finnish genes talking ;). I love Genelec and as I said, I have enjoyed 10 years of the 8030 and still counting. I recently did a blind hearing test with the new KEFs LS50 wireless 2 and the 8030 were preferred by all 3 participant, which was surprising.
My only “concern” with GLM is that I will be married to Genelec with that setup, while Dirac appears to be more versatile (something like the minidsp shd). I think that the Genelec subs are overpriced, but glad to read that the 8340 don’t need one in principle. I may ask the same question to hear what Dirac people would say.
kiitos paljon! ;)

onion

I have Genelec subs in a GLM setup for music, and SVS subs in a setup for movies. The Genelec subs integrate superbly and are ported so produce decent output for woofer size but are pricey for their capability (bass extension, output). The SVS subs have 16in drivers (SB16) and feel a lot more capable in the much larger movie room.

If I had to do it all again, I'd be tempted to try out non-Genelec subs using REW/ miniDSP to integrate with the Genelec mains; compared to Genelec subs with GLM before deciding.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use the Antimode 2.0 in a secondary system. It was a unique device at the time i bought it, it still works fine and i don´t regret it. It has some advantages, for example if it is connected via USB to a PC you can use the remote for play/pause/skip as well. REW supports constructing filters for it (if you set "DualCore" as an EQ in REW, but you need to enter the setting manually to the AM 2.0 - no import). It has XLR outputs. It has an analog input (bad, but better than nothing).... But it has some flaws as well, for example if you change the compensation behaviour it also changes the target curve which is not documented. You can´t change the target curve, only manipulate the results. Bass treatment out of the box is strange and never really worked for me. I had to fiddle around for some time to find a satisfying setting for my secondary system. I would say it is usable if you put some effort into it, but today with more options by MiniDSP and Dirac i think i would not buy it again for around 900 EUR.

Dathzo

I have Genelec subs in a GLM setup for music, and SVS subs in a setup for movies. The Genelec subs integrate superbly and are ported so produce decent output for woofer size but are pricey for their capability (bass extension, output). The SVS subs have 16in drivers (SB16) and feel a lot more capable in the much larger movie room.

If I had to do it all again, I'd be tempted to try out non-Genelec subs using REW/ miniDSP to integrate with the Genelec mains; compared to Genelec subs with GLM before deciding.
Thank you, that is exactly my dilemma if going into the Dirac (miniDSP) or Genelec-only path... the fun starts!

soundwave76

Forum Donor
If you have had analog Genelecs for 10 years, and love them, I think you have already decided what path to take... ;)

Dathzo

I use the Antimode 2.0 in a secondary system. It was a unique device at the time i bought it, it still works fine and i don´t regret it. It has some advantages, for example if it is connected via USB to a PC you can use the remote for play/pause/skip as well. REW supports constructing filters for it (if you set "DualCore" as an EQ in REW, but you need to enter the setting manually to the AM 2.0 - no import). It has XLR outputs. It has an analog input (bad, but better than nothing).... But it has some flaws as well, for example if you change the compensation behaviour it also changes the target curve which is not documented. You can´t change the target curve, only manipulate the results. Bass treatment out of the box is strange and never really worked for me. I had to fiddle around for some time to find a satisfying setting for my secondary system. I would say it is usable if you put some effort into it, but today with more options by MiniDSP and Dirac i think i would not buy it again for around 900 EUR.

Thank youDjBonoBobo, much appreciated. Gathering the answers from all of you, the alternatives at this point would be:

1. miniDSP SHD + Genelec 8030 + SVS SB-1000 (2100EUR investment as I have the 8030 already)
2. Genelec 8340 + GLM kit (2700 EUR investment, probably can recover 700-800EUR when selling my 8030, so 2000EUR investment)

What would you choose? 1 or 2? Thank you!

Top Bottom