• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Low Bass output playing music. Denon AVR with Nvidia streamer?

wickflair

Hoping for some conversation on this.
I have a Denon 3700h and buckeye amp in my theater room and use an NVidia shield as the streaming source. I run dual HSU VTF-3 subs with a mini DSP all tuned with REW and audyssey, including a custom house curve.
Movies sound fantastic. (especially with BEQ) However, music leaves some to be desired. It's mostly lacking in the bass area.
Typically I have to turn the subs up 5-10db to get a nice output (yes I am a bass head). I am wondering if that is to be expected with 2-channel music since the movies are using LFE and when the sub trim is set it is set under the idea you will be using LFE (+10db)? I tried using plex, amazon music, youtube and screen cast. All were consistent except screen cast having to be turned up slightly more to get an equal SPL as the native apps.
Any thoughts?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Audyssey aims for a flat response, many don't prefer that, and many increase the sub trim level in the avr to help....and the editor app is even better. For various music files, it can simply be various....bass content can be all over the place as well as your preference for same. Are you comparing the same content?

OP
W

wickflair

Audyssey aims for a flat response, many don't prefer that, and many increase the sub trim level in the avr to help....and the editor app is even better. For various music files, it can simply be various....bass content can be all over the place as well as your preference for same. Are you comparing the same content?
Yes I am. I do already trim up from -11.5 to -5 for every day listening, but music requires more of a bump. I also have Audyssey ignore the subs and let me mini dsp do the work.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes I am. I do already trim up from -11.5 to -5 for every day listening, but music requires more of a bump. I also have Audyssey ignore the subs and let me mini dsp do the work.
I think you just desire more of a bass boost than many :) Not sure what you mean by ignoring the subs but still using Audyssey?

Top Bottom