• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Don't set your subwoofer on the floor

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wow. Stomping on the floor next to a speaker is useless.

Explain why such an impulsive test is obviously completey useless? As I said, I've never been able to make my mind up :).

Frgirard

Major Contributor
It makes a big difference if EQ is being used. When it is, corner placement can often be the best location.

My own sub is in a corner, with its driver facing the side wall. It's in this location and orientation as it gives the best measured response at the MLP.
And how is the decay?

Ultrasonic

And how is the decay?

No worse than having the sub anywhere else in the room once EQ has smoothed out the response I think?

In my room specifically it's fine but I do have a couple of bass traps as well. Not sure if I have some older measuremets from before the bass traps but I'll have a look...

keenly

Wow. Stomping on the floor next to a speaker is useless. The things audiophile nuts will do to sell a product. I'm shocked at this one! I think buying metal discs to interfere with the natural magnetic waves from the earth would be better spent money.
FYI; Anywhere there is wifi, means you are not in contact with the natural magnetic field which all living beings should be.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
@witwald helped me greatly improve my sub-woofer integration. I use two SB2000 Pros with a pair of Monitor Audio PL200 mains and with the modelling work witwald has done now the bass integration seems fantastic and where once I was wondering where the heck I was losing bass energy, I don't have that issue now.

My guess is that the previous settings I was using between the crossover from my amp that impacted the mains and the various configuration settings on the subs were likely resulting in cancellations. Getting well aligned integration seems like a great step. I have my subs up off the concrete slab floor using beanie-bags!! I was going to buy the SVS isolation legs but decided to try this experiment and previously where my subs were on a suspended wood floor in a 100+ year old home I believe they did help.

I am not representing this as fact, but essentially my reading suggested that the idea is through doing what you can to decouple the sub from the flooring, if successful you will be transmitting more sound waves into the air as opposed to loss of some energy into the floor. It at least makes intuitive sense, but that is no assurance that it actually is true.

Regardless I like the beanie bags solution. The subs sit nicely on them and they seem to compress to a nice even base so nothing that I have noticed seems problematic. I think I paid about $80 for 8 beanie bags. Could be a complete waste of money, but at least I have not detected any unintended negative consequences. I would be curious what others think about this?

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Explain why such an impulsive test is obviously completey useless? As I said, I've never been able to make my mind up :).

Well, the two are not related. Listening to a sub in your system and stomping on the floor. I guess if you had a stomping contest while listening to music it would be kind of relevant. But, stomping to cause a very small cabinet vibration of very small duration says nothing about cabinet vibrations induced by a big 8 to 12 inch driver. The two are not related. It "seems" that they might be, but a nice video came out on Erin's audio site talking about cabinet vibrations and how difficult they are to measure and get rid of. A very nice video!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
FYI; Anywhere there is wifi, means you are not in contact with the natural magnetic field which all living beings should be.
I hope you wear an EM shielding cap. They make underwear for that as well, but I'm old and not likely to reproduce again.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Magnetism and radio waves are not the same thing. Does your compass stop working when you switch on your router?

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I have met people wearing aluminum foil caps and I have even been inside a mobile home (trailer) that was completely lined with aluminum foil. Probably about 40 to 50 boxes of aluminum foil. It is a sight when you get to see it live, all the windows, walls and ceiling. I then took them into custody and they had to go for a psych evaluation. Those were the days!

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have met people wearing aluminum foil caps and I have even been inside a mobile home (trailer) that was completely lined with aluminum foil. Probably about 40 to 50 boxes of aluminum foil. It is a sight when you get to see it live, all the windows, walls and ceiling. I then took them into custody and they had to go for a psych evaluation. Those were the days!
Since when do you get arrested for covering a van/mobile home in aluminium foil ;)?

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Since when do you get arrested for covering a van/mobile home in aluminium foil ;)?
When it is regularly turned into a hot box.
Oh man when I was in college...

Ultrasonic

Well, the two are not related. Listening to a sub in your system and stomping on the floor. I guess if you had a stomping contest while listening to music it would be kind of relevant. But, stomping to cause a very small cabinet vibration of very small duration says nothing about cabinet vibrations induced by a big 8 to 12 inch driver. The two are not related. It "seems" that they might be, but a nice video came out on Erin's audio site talking about cabinet vibrations and how difficult they are to measure and get rid of. A very nice video!

It is of course the difficulty of measuring small vibrations without proper equipment that is the reason the stomp test is used, which does demonstrate (or not) ability to offer isolation from a form of vibration.

I will try to find and watch Erin's video.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems like in a metal mobile home you would only need to cover the windows and doors.

keenly

Aluminium does nothing. Lead is needed.

keenly

I hope you wear an EM shielding cap. They make underwear for that as well, but I'm old and not likely to reproduce again.
Nope, that makes things worse as metal bounces RF around.

I use ethernet. No dementia for me.

Elk

A couple of thoughts come to mind:

Welti and Devantier's research does say that both the Mean Spatial Variance, the evenness of the bass throughout the room, and the Mean Output Level are best with 4 subs in the corners. However, they also write that the MSV is nearly as good with 2 subs at mid-points on opposite walls though the MOL is less, as long as the the subs are feed a mono signal. For those of us with only 2 subs, this is a big deal.

Secondly, Floyd Toole once was asked to help a recording studio whose mixes were bass heavy played back elsewhere. The room measured well, but everything was on a slab, so a floor was laid on top so that the engineers could feel the bass transmitted through it as well as hear it- problem solved. I'm an organ music lover. For me, this is a big deal too.

Top Bottom