• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Don't set your subwoofer on the floor

keenly

Canceling earth's magnetic field is not that easy ;) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmholtz_coil
It is never canceled, just the effect of GHZ frequencies prevent one from being in a field of below 10hz. One can not earth whilst being in an artifcial magnetic field.
Magnetism is an area 99% of all humans and health practioners are ignorant of, we are not taught anything at school.

anyway lets drop that topic.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It is never canceled, just the effect of GHZ frequencies prevent one from being in a field of below 10hz. One can not earth whilst being in an artifcial magnetic field.
Magnetism is an area 99% of all humans and health practioners are ignorant of,
All of this is just jibberish... Once again: electromagnetism and magnetism are not the same things.
we are not taught anything at school.
Well, it shows..

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Since when do you get arrested for covering a van/mobile home in aluminum foil.
Trailer home not an automobile. A van lined with foil would have gotten the person an evaluation too. You have to draw the line at crazy somewhere...... If I think about it, I probably need an evaluation too from reading subjectivists drivel on ASR! :)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is that some special iron based metal that only let’s thru the earth’s magnetic field, but not other sources of magnetism?

BTW? How do your speaker drivers work? Those will be very hard to make without any (electro)magnets.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Seems like in a metal mobile home you would only need to cover the windows and doors.
Yes, but when someone snaps they do not look at it scientifically or really any common sense way. I joke about it every 10 years but it is very sad for the people involved. Mental illness destroys and I mean destroys individuals and families. But, it is weird to get someone who actually did the aluminum foil of the entire double wide mobile home. This was 40 years ago and I cant remember if it was family that called us or not.

JRS

Major Contributor
Yes, but when someone snaps they do not look at it scientifically or really any common sense way. I joke about it every 10 years but it is very sad for the people involved. Mental illness destroys and I mean destroys individuals and families. But, it is weird to get someone who actually did the aluminum foil of the entire double wide mobile home. This was 40 years ago and I cant remember if it was family that called us or not.
It's a core feature of many delusions--thoughts are either being beamed into the body, or the afflicted thought's are being "tapped" by some form of transmitter. It is not uncommon for aliens to be involved, or more commonly, the government (who we all know would never do such a thing w/o a warrant;)). Heavy use of methamphetamines can provoke these types of delusions as well.

On another note, I just read this thread and was struck that no one mentioned (and it's often overlooked) the importance of aligning woofers with the Earth's magnetic field. A handheld compass is the only tool needed--first establish the polarity of the driver's magnetic field, and then simply rotate the sub until the woofers magnet and the earth's magnet are aligned. The impact on the sound is subtle, but can really help to dial things in. In the case of overbearing subs, rotating it so that the magnetic field of the driver is going against the grain can be of minor benefit. This phenomenon also correlates with atmospheric ionic current. Unfortunately we are in a null and so the impact may not be as noticeable. But if you listen critically taking careful notes every few months for the next several years, the pattern will become obvious.
Solar_cycle_25_prediction_NOAA.jpg

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
It's a core feature of many delusions--thoughts are either being beamed into the body, or the afflicted thought's are being "tapped" by some form of transmitter. It is not uncommon for aliens to be involved, or more commonly, the government (who we all know would never do such a thing w/o a warrant;)). Heavy use of methamphetamines can provoke these types of delusions as well.

On another note, I just read this thread and was struck that no one mentioned (and it's often overlooked) the importance of aligning woofers with the Earth's magnetic field. A handheld compass is the only tool needed--first establish the polarity of the driver's magnetic field, and then simply rotate the sub until the woofers magnet and the earth's magnet are aligned. The impact on the sound is subtle, but can really help to dial things in. In the case of overbearing subs, rotating it so that the magnetic field of the driver is going against the grain can be of minor benefit. This phenomenon also correlates with atmospheric ionic current. Unfortunately we are in a null and so the impact may not be as noticeable. But if you listen critically taking careful notes every few months for the next several years, the pattern will become obvious.
Solar_cycle_25_prediction_NOAA.jpg
Had you considered doing an article for Absolute Sound? I swear, they'd bite on it.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Had you considered doing an article for Absolute Sound? I swear, they'd bite on it.
Angling for a consulting job at a cable company....:D
Anyway it is simple to counteract the Earth's magnetic field, you just have to go in there and align all the electron spins so they are all "up" since at the poles the magnetism goes "down"

Willem

Major Contributor
Back to subwoofers. Like all more or less modern Dutch homes, my house has concrete floors and brick walls, so floor resonances are not an issue. However, room modes still are, of course. I have used a single (B&W PV1d) subwoofer for the last few years, equalized with an Antimode 8033 in a 7000 cubic feet room. As per advice from the Antimode engineers, I have located the subwoofer in the front corner for maximum room gain, and use the Antimode to reduce the resulting peaks. This has worked well, but response is not that even across the room, so I am now in the process of upgrading to multiple subs for even tighter bass over a larger listening area. Earl Geddes recommends using your largest subwoofer in the front corner for deepest extension, and adding two perhaps smaller ones elsewhere in the room, at more or less random locations. He also suggests to have one of these at a different height. So my idea is to have a small one high up on a shelf on a side wall, given that not all subs have to be large. I already have a Kef Kube8b and that seems an ideal candidate for this.

JRS

Major Contributor
I'm honing my chops. Thank you. The art is not going over the top, but I wrote a piece on AC lines that I thought was dripping with sarcasm yet actually got a serious response. So I'm still figuring out where over the top is. As a rationalist, my skeptical skills are well developed and so I make that famous mistake of overestimating the intelligence of some Americans. And while I never went woo-woo, I can't claim a completely pure past; I got sucked into the Stereophile fluff for a bit in the 80's but never enough to fall for green markers and the like. I no longer own a turntable and do everything active--so not long on audiophile bona fides either. So perhaps those years left a mark. And to some extent that I am a psychiatrist who once was in a doctoral program for bioengineering--a little schitzy one might assume.

I just love this sight--it's what I kept wishing DIY was, but instead is where most unfortunately the S/N ratio is just about 1--is it signal or is it noise? The paradoxical thing is that at DIY there is a subset of truly talented engineers/hobbyists who are absolutely convinced that the Moola Moola is the best audio component ever designed. Putzey himself is another along with say Levinson and Pass, who exemplify this odd species that seem to agree 5 figures is a reasonable amt of money to pay for a solid state device (but you better believe I'm replacing all my amps with Purify when I get together the $$). Or maybe they just understand that there is a subset who has to have the best, and catering to that crowd with SOTA electronics is where audio Gods (or at least money) are made. No judgement here, that's for sure--I build from schematics.

JRS

Major Contributor
Angling for a consulting job at a cable company....:D
Anyway it is simple to counteract the Earth's magnetic field, you just have to go in there and align all the electron spins so they are all "up" since at the poles the magnetism goes "down"
This is true--they are strange but wishy-washy critters, easily influenced and unable to decide whether they should vote thumbs up or down, but able to exert a normal force while in translational motion.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I especially like directional wires with an ac signal. Oh, ok, I see it all as SNAKE Oil. The poor snake might not have any oil left. So much garbage science, made up lies and other rip off companies it amazes me. I am on the Martin Logan site every once in awhile and I have to stay off it now. The subjectivists came on the site full force. Oh well, I'm down to two audio websites. ASR and Audioholics. That is it. Unless you guys can recommend a few other good sites?

Trif

The idea is, since very low frequencies radiate omnidirectionally, we cannot locate subwoofers spatially.

I'm not sure you can just put them anywhere, though. I think the subs need to be the same acoustical distance from your ears as the other drivers. As someone else mentioned, it's a sphere around you, though most think of a circle.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
The idea is, since very low frequencies radiate omnidirectionally, we cannot locate subwoofers spatially.

I'm not sure you can just put them anywhere, though. I think the subs need to be the same acoustical distance from your ears as the other drivers. As someone else mentioned, it's a sphere around you, though most think of a circle.
Not to mention, they will still have the potential to excite room modes or to interact with the mains so there will always be placement considerations. Now how important the placement considerations are will vary in each setting to one extent or another, but placement will also have some effect on the sound. I have no doubt that you know this so not trying to educate you, just building off your post really.

OP
carewser

carewser

Only 4 of my subs are on the floor but if I put the other 8 on the floor I wouldn't have room to walk around which I think should be a consideration

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Only 4 of my subs are on the floor but if I put the other 8 on the floor I wouldn't have room to walk around which I think should be a consideration
Nonsense, walking versus speaker placement is no contest, you must prioritize the speaker placement. What is next, you'll suggest that the feelings of your wife and children are more important than a well configured stereo in a properly treated room? Where will the madness end?

Top Bottom