• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do We Want All Speakers To Sound The Same ?

YSC

Major Contributor
Random thoughts: "we" definitely don't want speakers to sound the same, even just reading this one page of the thread. I think that if a genie granted everyone's wish of a perfect speaker, everyone's would be slightly different, and we'd have about 3-5 groups of similar "perfect" speakers.

More random: I audition speakers with a set of tracks that are all specifically challenging in certain ways. One has a sweep down to 16hz. One has a really poorly mixed sub-bass synth. One has ALMOST harsh cymbals. One has too much going on in the sub-bass. Two have really fine modulations in the bass synth that are hard to hear. One has sibilant Paul Simon vocals. One has a bunch of step responses in it. One has a really badly mixed midrange that tends to mask an entire instrument. One has a really congested midrange that makes detail retrieval hard. One has people turning pages really quietly in the background. Etc.

I don't think listening to nicely mixed, clean, beautiful recordings tells you a damn thing about a speaker, really. What defines a speaker is its limitations and compromises, you don't find those by feeding it the easy stuff. If you can hear the same things on every speaker, but on some of them they just sound *nicer*, I think you are giving yourself a very hard task of deciding whether something is 95% nice or 100% nice. What's easier is to check and see if you can hear the damn lead synth AT ALL.

My two cents...
and listening to something having the artificial stuffs or harshness in mixes in a revealing speaker can make it sound bad at times, I do think it is the reason why some prefer particular house curve say the BBC dip or so, coz their favourite tracks comes from the era mixing with those speakers, but then I do hope some time in the future we can have a real transparent speaker in all studios and at home so one can really know is the speaker honest or not.

OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Random thoughts: "we" definitely don't want speakers to sound the same, even just reading this one page of the thread. I think that if a genie granted everyone's wish of a perfect speaker, everyone's would be slightly different, and we'd have about 3-5 groups of similar "perfect" speakers.

More random: I audition speakers with a set of tracks that are all specifically challenging in certain ways. One has a sweep down to 16hz. One has a really poorly mixed sub-bass synth. One has ALMOST harsh cymbals. One has too much going on in the sub-bass. Two have really fine modulations in the bass synth that are hard to hear. One has sibilant Paul Simon vocals. One has a bunch of step responses in it. One has a really badly mixed midrange that tends to mask an entire instrument. One has a really congested midrange that makes detail retrieval hard. One has people turning pages really quietly in the background. Etc.

I don't think listening to nicely mixed, clean, beautiful recordings tells you a damn thing about a speaker, really. What defines a speaker is its limitations and compromises, you don't find those by feeding it the easy stuff. If you can hear the same things on every speaker, but on some of them they just sound *nicer*, I think you are giving yourself a very hard task of deciding whether something is 95% nice or 100% nice. What's easier is to check and see if you can hear the damn lead synth AT ALL.

My two cents...

For this reason I audition speakers with a wide range of different recording qualities, from excellent to "problematic" or thin sounding or whatever. Some have distortion I'm familiar with, so it's interesting to see how each speaker handles the distortion. Ideally, I can hear it, but it's not emphasized in a way that puts me off the music.

YSC

Major Contributor
I think that conclusion is a bit rash. Plenty of speakers have "lots of detail." But I've been trying to describe a particular blend of clarity and smoothness. Zero "roughness" especially in the midrange/highs. Not just "detailed" but super clean/smooth, free of grit, un-mechanical. Subtle variations in instrumental timbre seem notably clear.

Numerous JA owners have cited the same quality. In fact someone who owns Harbeth speakers and recently recieved the JA Perspectives started his remarks with: "The very first thing that made me sit up and take notice when playing the Perspectives was the utter lack of grain. The SHL5+ are very accomplished in this aspect, but I feel the Perspectives just take it several notches above and beyond."

And the above characteristics were noted over and over in reviews of the JA Pulsar and Perspective speakers, which share that same sound:

-----------------------------------------------------

Stereophile: Herb Reichert review of JA Pulsar: In show reports, I've described Joseph Audio speakers as "quiet"—mainly because, through them, no fuzzy, blurry, grainy stuff happens between 1 and 4kHz. Unlike most two-way box speakers, the Pulsar's sound in that region fades to silent "black," not a gray haze.

Fremer's review of the Pulsar:
but the picture was clear and clean from top to bottom of the audioband,

The Pulsar's high-frequency performance was sweet yet fast and airy, and minus even the slightest hint of edge, etch, or glare. In fact, the Pulsar was among the least mechanical-sounding speakers I've ever heard, regardless of price,

Absolute Sound, on the Pulsar:

The first thing I noticed about the Pulsars was their midrange purity and lack of grain.

The Pulsar’s midrange speed and clarity reminded me more of a planar or electrostatic speaker than a dynamic-driver-based transducer.
The Pulsar’s upper frequencies walk the fine line between dark and light. This tweeter has a sweet character that portrays upper frequencies in a very natural and relaxing way. First violins and piccolos had sparkle and shimmer without sounding forward or metallic.

From the Soundstage review of the Pulsar:

Play something like Shakti’s Natural Elements (CD, Columbia 4897732), and the speed of Zakir Hussain’s tabla playing, wrapped together with guitar god John McLaughlin’s steel-string guitar, was a mind blower, never once tripping into leading-edge hardness.

PartTime Audiophile:

There’s an overall smoothness to the sound that’s distinctive—I feel like this is a speaker I could identify blindfolded in a room full of other speakers.

John Atkinson reviewing the Perspectives:

very clean and articulate,

midrange clarity and lack of coloration

I was again impressed by the Josephs' ability to play loud but without the sound becoming harsh or the small details of the scoring being blotted out.

-----------------------------------------

I suppose someone might blow all those reports of the smoothness/clarity of the sound as...I don't know...coincidence? Maybe the speakers don't actually sound clean and clear as they describe but, somehow, the speakers caused the very same bias effect in all those listeners? Not impossible...but...is that the most plausible inference? Isn't it plausible that the speakers actually DO sound very clean and clear, which is why they are reporting that characteristic?

I heard the Joseph Pulsar first at a dealer, before I knew much at all about the brand, and before I'd read any reviews. The exact qualities described above stood out to me. Then I heard the Perspectives the same day. Same thing. Then I found out most listeners seem to be struck by those characteristics too. We aren't talking about AC cables here: speakers do sound different from one another. I personally don't want to be quick to just wave away lots of similar impressions by lazily attributing it all to sighted bias or presuming "no reason to think the speakers really do sound like that." (Not saying you have necessarily done this).

Cheers.
usually when something is unexplainable from any measurements, where distortion, transient response, IMD and frequency response are the same, are more or less sighted, brand or confirmation bias, this sort of coincident have come in way too often in all sort of subjective reviews, like for expample, Audio-GD dacs, when it's ok to good sounding, and you got told that this brand has X attribute, the subjective opinion would go to that side, not to say that for paid reviewers usually more bias comes.

Don't get me wrong, from the measurements the JA speakers are good, but then when it just magically sound better in unmeasurable way, usually it's our brain fooling ourselves, when you can't hear the wiggleness in the FR, why do you think that minor, beyond measurement capability THD/ IMD can be percieved?

YSC

Major Contributor
For this reason I audition speakers with a wide range of different recording qualities, from excellent to "problematic" or thin sounding or whatever. Some have distortion I'm familiar with, so it's interesting to see how each speaker handles the distortion. Ideally, I can hear it, but it's not emphasized in a way that puts me off the music.
thing is, how you know what the distortion really sound like? without a standard for transparency, you just don't know, much like saying colour, without a well calibrated monitor, with a standard colour chart, how do you know the blue in the screen is really blue, or off? By experience 99.9% just don't do it right, in photography, standard calibration is done for serious jobs, so when in audio, why it just becomes different, why not the in record FR profile of music should be just reproduced the closer the better

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
and listening to something having the artificial stuffs or harshness in mixes in a revealing speaker can make it sound bad at times, I do think it is the reason why some prefer particular house curve say the BBC dip or so, coz their favourite tracks comes from the era mixing with those speakers, but then I do hope some time in the future we can have a real transparent speaker in all studios and at home so one can really know is the speaker honest or not.

Most of the songs I test with don't sound BAD on a good speaker, some of them even sound good, but they do sound noticeably worse on bad ones. Here they are if you are curious. https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0NAPaCXMPgEAkASn4FKpko?si=36b61456d7da4a6b

While listening to this list just now, I realized my APOEQ was shut off! It works! :facepalm:

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
Most of the songs I test with don't sound BAD on a good speaker, some of them even sound good, but they do sound noticeably worse on bad ones. Here they are if you are curious. https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0NAPaCXMPgEAkASn4FKpko?si=36b61456d7da4a6b

While listening to this list just now, I realized my APOEQ was shut off! It works! :facepalm:
similar experience for me, and my thought is simpler: if I can't hear distortion in pure tone generator and in the sine sweeps during my measurement runs, the speaker should be fine, and that in such case, when some pieces of music sound broken, distorted, noisy etc. it should be the track mix itself is broken, not the speaker, much like in old systems the vinyl don't have the abundance of noise in background, whereas the E version of it in a transparent dac usually just make it sound noisy, that is the recording itself is broken, not the high resolution dac.

Of course in the end we all listen to the music in the recordings, not listen to the speaker, so nothing wrong when prefer the speaker itself with the not transparent aspect which happen to mask the defects in the mix.

One might agree or disagree, but after all the subjective is king debates I do still believe the speaker should add/alter the sound as little as possible, while personal preference or even "fixes" on certain tracks, should be done either run it through some SW to remove the noise, or just EQ the tone curve in a click

Dumdum

From my work in cars I can tell you freq response on and off axis is only one aspect of how a speaker sounds and whether it pleases your ears or not

You can eq two cars the exact same in room eq wizard and they will sound different because of the environment

Is the midbass snappy, does it have impact, is the midrange dry and revealing or warm and non fatiguing, does the treble have shimmer and air or is it very neutral but accurate

The above are all characteristics of the drivers and there relative alignments in the enclosure

For example in my car I have to dial in some extra around 60-120hz to get a realistic sense of drums and impact, yet I did a van the other day that didn’t need that and it had very good snap and impact without being overblown, if I tuned my car the same it would sound flat and a bit lifeless

My point is that the sound of two speakers can measure the exact same response and be identical off axis also, but they can sound very different, the design, drivers and finally the environment and listening position relative to the drivers can make a huge difference to the sound and all of that is why you should ideally spend a fair bit of time and effort picking your speakers for your room

So do we want all speakers to sound the same… for me measurements can only tell half the story (and definitely can’t take the environment into account

YSC

Major Contributor
From my work in cars I can tell you freq response on and off axis is only one aspect of how a speaker sounds and whether it pleases your ears or not

You can eq two cars the exact same in room eq wizard and they will sound different because of the environment

Is the midbass snappy, does it have impact, is the midrange dry and revealing or warm and non fatiguing, does the treble have shimmer and air or is it very neutral but accurate

The above are all characteristics of the drivers and there relative alignments in the enclosure

For example in my car I have to dial in some extra around 60-120hz to get a realistic sense of drums and impact, yet I did a van the other day that didn’t need that and it had very good snap and impact without being overblown, if I tuned my car the same it would sound flat and a bit lifeless

My point is that the sound of two speakers can measure the exact same response and be identical off axis also, but they can sound very different, the design, drivers and finally the environment and listening position relative to the drivers can make a huge difference to the sound and all of that is why you should ideally spend a fair bit of time and effort picking your speakers for your room

So do we want all speakers to sound the same… for me measurements can only tell half the story (and definitely can’t take the environment into account
If I didn't misunderstood the anechoic off axis i.e. directivity plus the environment (room, car), is the thing you are actually referring to, in room measurement on/off axis can't possibly be EQed to be the same throughtout the space with different speaker precisely due to anechoic on and off axis differences plus the speaker placement difference, above schoreder frequency our ears are smart enough to distinguish mostly from direct sound vs reflected sound, so in the car example, if you measure in driver seat for FR 1, and another seats for FR2, 3, 4 etc. if you EQed FR1 in car A to FR1 in car B, the other seats would have wildly different FR, that's why anechoic response in determine relative speaker difference is the thing to do, not in room response.

But true the measurements along won't be able to be converted fully into actual percieved sound in a room, just a broad estimation,

Dumdum

If I didn't misunderstood the anechoic off axis i.e. directivity plus the environment (room, car), is the thing you are actually referring to, in room measurement on/off axis can't possibly be EQed to be the same throughtout the space with different speaker precisely due to anechoic on and off axis differences plus the speaker placement difference, above schoreder frequency our ears are smart enough to distinguish mostly from direct sound vs reflected sound, so in the car example, if you measure in driver seat for FR 1, and another seats for FR2, 3, 4 etc. if you EQed FR1 in car A to FR1 in car B, the other seats would have wildly different FR, that's why anechoic response in determine relative speaker difference is the thing to do, not in room response.

But true the measurements along won't be able to be converted fully into actual percieved sound in a room, just a broad estimation,
I tune for one seat for car audio competition, time alignment, eq, crossovers etc are all timed for the drivers seat

It doesn’t sound bad from the passenger seat, but the centre is in the left corner of the screen and the left stage is very compressed due to it being timed for the right front seat (uk rhd)

Two seat is doable now with some car dsps having upmixers but you have to conpromise Sq and staging and imaging for both seats and it will never sound as good as it does from one seat

Effectively I do to cars what you do in a house with a single seat for critical listening and an equilateral triangle… shift out of the seat and the stage is not correct with timing and response mismatches

YSC

Major Contributor
I tune for one seat for car audio competition, time alignment, eq, crossovers etc are all timed for the drivers seat

It doesn’t sound bad from the passenger seat, but the centre is in the left corner of the screen and the left stage is very compressed due to it being timed for the right front seat (uk rhd)

Two seat is doable now with some car dsps having upmixers but you have to conpromise Sq and staging and imaging for both seats and it will never sound as good as it does from one seat

Effectively I do to cars what you do in a house with a single seat for critical listening and an equilateral triangle… shift out of the seat and the stage is not correct with timing and response mismatches
that's for sure, and since the driver's directivity in cars are a lot more constrained compared to any home speakers, it will vary a lot more from car to car, in cars usually I just don't bother EQ too much, as it's really difficult to get the schroeder frequency point right and the reflective surfaces are way more complicated to home audio, plus the main point: when driving I prefer listen to engines and road noises so I focus on driving, not relax in music.

changer

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Please show me that you had EQ-ed them to the exact same frequency response. I assume you had used more that 100 filters with filter Qs of as high as 15 and linearized phase afterwards?

IIs the midbass snappy, does it have impact, is the midrange dry and revealing or warm and non fatiguing, does the treble have shimmer and air or is it very neutral but accurate

My point here is: you probably have not even succesfully EQ-ed linear distortion to be the same. I can hear differences of low decimal counts depending on the position in the band and obviously filter width.

Dumdum

that's for sure, and since the driver's directivity in cars are a lot more constrained compared to any home speakers, it will vary a lot more from car to car, in cars usually I just don't bother EQ too much, as it's really difficult to get the schroeder frequency point right and the reflective surfaces are way more complicated to home audio, plus the main point: when driving I prefer listen to engines and road noises so I focus on driving, not relax in music.
If you measure with a spatial average it’s fairly easy to see where the measurements begin to vary so I tune with a single mic location upto that point (I set myself a limit of 350hz and use smaart to sort the impulse response and also mid to midbass, midbass to front sub and front sub to rear sub crossovers and phase

It’s quite impressive when you have sub bass with subs in the boot but it comes from the stage, speaker height is irrelevant as long as it’s all in phase and well setup

It’s why I don’t understand the parroted get tweeters at ear level in houses (well I do when the tweeter is firing parallel to the ground…) but why not raise drivers up to get better responses in a house if it gives better results, we don’t hear height very well so eye/ear level is where the stage ends up if drivers are all tuned to be as one effectively… you don’t notice the centre channel is under the tv for example… it sounds like it’s where you look… or at least mine does

I am soon to make a set of floor standers for my place which may end up as being hung from the ceiling to get a better reflection path for the left driver that matches the right driver far better (I have a bannister rail in my front room around the stairs in the rear left corner… it’s better with a hand rail and spindle vs when I first moved in and had a solid plasterboard wall around the stairs…) the room feels bigger and the acoustics got better also… but I had hoped the spindles would diffuse the reflections a little less than they do, it still sounds better than any houses I’ve heard but I’ve not really heard good two channel in a house

My next experiment is to see if I can diffuse some rear reflections with absorbers near the floor standers as the window behind the left and the double door Georgian balcony behind the right contribute differently and also skew the stage a touch

Dumdum

Please show me that you had EQ-ed them to the exact same frequency response. I assume you had used more that 100 filters with filter Qs of as high as 15 and linearized phase afterwards?

My point here is: you probably have not even succesfully EQ-ed linear distortion to be the same. I can hear differences of low decimal counts depending on the position in the band and obviously filter width.
Talk about complicating things… no I have not looked at distortion in a car because it has far too many reflections and room modes to even contemplate doing it, but that is one of the things that will effect the sound… we sit asymmetrical in cars

As for eq, you seem to underestimate the power of modern car audio dsps, my ten channel dsp has 60 bands available per driver/channel if I want them (I don’t ever use anywhere near 30 generally), and they are eq’d to roughly +/- 0.5db with a spatial average and variable smoothing in room eq wizard if required, but having gone to those lengths before it is not required in a vehicle due to reflections
There is zero point in very fine (1/48) smoothing above 2k give or take

We use house curves and aim to tune to those, but a single house curve can sound different in one car vs another

I can guarantee you if I tuned two different cars with unique installs to the same house curve they will likely sound different, drivers response to stimulus can vary, distortion etc all contribute

My point is to the original post… just the same as the car we can take two different branded floorstanders with identical response, distortion etc but they will sound different potentially due to drivers, enclosure etc or are you saying you’d expect them to sound identical based on measurements alone? And that’s before we introduce them to an environment like a front room, so let’s assume they are in an anechoic chamber… should you be able to predict the sound with currently available objective measurement techniques?

I’m saying measurements do not equate to the same sound characteristics, you can say if speakers should sound reasonable or good with a degree of certainty, but listening you can find nuances and they will often sound subtly different even in an anechoic chamber, that was the original question was it not?

Do we want all speakers to sound the same, my answer is no, but we can gleen an idea of whether they should sound good or bad from measurements… yes, but if you get several of Amirs reviewed speakers that scored very similarly or measured similarly and have different sounding speakers

For me measurements are clues not cut and dried statements

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
Talk about complicating things… no I have not looked at distortion in a car because it has far too many reflections and room modes to even contemplate doing it, but that is one of the things that will effect the sound… we sit asymmetrical in cars

As for eq, you seem to underestimate the power of modern car audio dsps, my ten channel dsp has 60 bands available per driver/channel if I want them (I don’t ever use anywhere near 30 generally), and they are eq’d to roughly +/- 0.5db with a spatial average and variable smoothing in room eq wizard if required, but having gone to those lengths before it is not required in a vehicle due to reflections
There is zero point in very fine (1/48) smoothing above 2k give or take

We use house curves and aim to tune to those, but a single house curve can sound different in one car vs another

I can guarantee you if I tuned two different cars with unique installs to the same house curve they will likely sound different, drivers response to stimulus can vary, distortion etc all contribute

My point is to the original post… just the same as the car we can take two different branded floorstanders with identical response, distortion etc but they will sound different potentially due to drivers, enclosure etc or are you saying you’d expect them to sound identical based on measurements alone? And that’s before we introduce them to an environment like a front room, so let’s assume they are in an anechoic chamber… should you be able to predict the sound with currently available objective measurement techniques?

I’m saying measurements do not equate to the same sound characteristics, you can say if speakers should sound reasonable or good with a degree of certainty, but listening you can find nuances and they will often sound subtly different even in an anechoic chamber, that was the original question was it not?

Do we want all speakers to sound the same, my answer is no, but we can gleen an idea of whether they should sound good or bad from measurements… yes, but if you get several of Amirs reviewed speakers that scored very similarly or measured similarly and have different sounding speakers

For me measurements are clues not cut and dried statements
actually measurement includes the distortion and dispersion pattern, i.e. directivity, most of the on axis flat speakers will sound different in room, coz the directivity pattern is different, and in room response, though looking similar, will say differ in the downward slope, and off axis response will result in different reflected sound, so they are not measuring the same even on axis is similarly dead flat.

also even both with near perfect directivity, the beam width, and are they cardiod or not, all contribute to the final sound. these are the main reason for different cars to sound so different even given the same drivers being installed, the final combined FR can be EQed to be similar, but you can't EQ them to behave the same in reflected sounds

Dumdum

actually measurement includes the distortion and dispersion pattern, i.e. directivity, most of the on axis flat speakers will sound different in room, coz the directivity pattern is different, and in room response, though looking similar, will say differ in the downward slope, and off axis response will result in different reflected sound, so they are not measuring the same even on axis is similarly dead flat.

also even both with near perfect directivity, the beam width, and are they cardiod or not, all contribute to the final sound. these are the main reason for different cars to sound so different even given the same drivers being installed, the final combined FR can be EQed to be similar, but you can't EQ them to behave the same in reflected sounds
So you keep writing… my point is simple… will all these measurements tell you with 100% certainty that the midbass will have impact or sound a bit flat? I don’t think we can say that… so back to the original question… no is my answer

Will two identical speakers in all your measurements sound identical? My answer to that is also no in my opinion

I just tried to give a bit of background and my take on it… yet you seem to want to dissect it massively without a point regarding the original question

YSC

Major Contributor
So you keep writing… my point is simple… will all these measurements tell you with 100% certainty that the midbass will have impact or sound a bit flat? I don’t think we can say that… so back to the original question… no is my answer

I just tried to give a bit of background and my take on it… yet you seem to want to dissect it massively without a point regarding the original question
I didn't do car EQ, but in room, usually the decay time +distortion do tell you wether it will sound a bit flat or muddy vs impactful.

Dumdum

I didn't do car EQ, but in room, usually the decay time +distortion do tell you wether it will sound a bit flat or muddy vs impactful.
Usually… so not all the time? That’s my point…

Ps cars are a nightmare… don’t… you’ll be grey before 25 lol… they are horrid to tune and setup, and it’s not like a house where you can simply move a speaker 10cm in any direction…

YSC

Major Contributor
Usually… so not all the time? That’s my point…
well I don't actually say using the measurements alone could predict how a speaker sound in a actual room, noone can factor in the in room response plus all those reflections will sound like, my point is that those non-FR measurements all contribute to how it will sound in an actual room, but the more treated space, similar measuring speaker including on axis and directivity, do sound very close to identical, but when those variables changes? Only God could tell.

My point is: do we want all speakers to sound the same? yes, the closer to taking the speaker out of music reproduction the better, and the better it respond to EQ through good directivity, the better. If that's possible? I don't think so due to technical constrains, and for in room, it's practically impossible to sound the same anyway, just as good as it can go. I tried to EQ some poor directivity speakers, it sounded weird, but then EQing similarly well measuring speakers on & off axis in the same room, same spot do sounded identical to me.

changer

Dumdum,you are missing the point because you make up a problem which we did not have before: your cars. A speaker's performance and differences is with good reason shown anechoic. There is no secret that every room will change the perception of the speaker that is playing in it. So we exclude it.

This thread by now has departed from its more worthwhile question, to which degree we can also trust our sighted listening, into the territories of pure subjectivism. I do appreciate Matt's inquiry: After all, I claimed to hear differences between two bit-perfect DACs and I hold my claim.

But by now, Matt's question is basically directed against the belief that the methodology behind spinorama is founded on, and we are in a rather boring culture war with little insight.

People tend to love attributing their sonic perceptions to all kind of materials. Like cables (make no difference when resistance is chosen correctly), or when one tweeter sounds metallic because it is made from metal, and the silk dome does not. As if high frequency air pressure differences would care. It is a myth debunked and there is a thread on this forum that proves it. The same goes for woofer materials and there is a by now famous case, a user who could not buy the most modern studio monitor because the enclosure was made from MDF, not from aluminium. The typical end game of this argumentation, that is driven by the passion to hear, especially to recognize sound in its differences, will lead every argument to the typical claim that the sum of differences, the spider of the woofer, the form of enclosure etc. pp. create a unique signature that makes all the difference, but this could not be proven by measurement.

The sad thing about the argument is, it is true in a way: the sum of small differences will never be normalized, which required an ideal object, and hence we will hear differences from speaker to speaker; but it systemically overrates this small differences and underrates some of the most basic features of loudspeakers. This is, for example, frequency linear distortion (which is not distortion of the drive units, btw), speak frequency response. Frequency response differences get drastically unterrated. Small differences wil make the speaker sound different. But not bad. ANSI/CTA 2034-A does not go down to this granular level. The preference score is an abstraction that hovers a a level higher, defines degrees of deviation from linear as detrimental, but not how degrees of deviation make perception different in ways that create a certain, sometimes enjoyable character. The reason why many people do not look into the small differences in frequency respone is that somehow, atavistic thinking is more attractive. This speaker is incarnated sound, and object of desire we can worship.

I suppose someone might blow all those reports of the smoothness/clarity of the sound as...I don't know...coincidence?
Could it be they had read what others had written before? And chatted at their favorite audio fair, with one another and the original producer, who had minced an original ascription in informal talks?

Reactions: YSC

dominikz

Forum Donor
@Dumdum and @YSC An interesting discussion! IMHO we need to consider the following:
  1. If we manage to find two loudspeakers with identical anechoic on-axis frequency response, identical directivity, identical dispersion and identical distortion characteristics, and we use them in the exact same ways and in the same position in the same room, they should indeed sound the same. However I've personally never seen two different loudspeakers that measure the same in all of these, so I'm not sure it this point brings any pragmatic value to the discussion.
  2. Assuming the two loudspeakers differ in one (or likely more) of the above listed criteria, I think it is fair to assume the audible difference is related to those (measurable) differences.
  3. EQ-ing two loudspeakers with otherwise different measurements (and especially if in different environments) to the same steady-state target curve will of course not make them sound the same, because they will at the very least still have slightly different radiation patterns, and humans don't just hear the steady-state frequency response that the measurement microphone measures. We hear a lot of the direct sound in the higher frequencies, and the exact borders where we stop hearing the steady-state response and start hearing the direct sound are unclear and likely variable (I assume depending on room and loudspeaker directivity).
  4. At least to my knowledge, there is no detailed catalogue describing which kind of measured performance results in which specific audible quality. Sure - we can sometimes predict general trends (bright - scooped - dark; wide - focused; etc.) but even that is not guaranteed with e.g. irregular/atypical responses.
Regarding the topic from the title of this thread - I'd personally very much love it if all loudspeakers sounded the same. It would give us a standard reference at all points (from music creation to reproduction) and would remove much of the complexity for the end-user, leaving only music enjoyment. :) While I enjoy audio technology itself, I much more enjoy music and definitely wouldn't mind obsessing (even) less about the equipment!

Top Bottom