• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do RCA cables matter ? if so, recommend one.

LegionOfHell

I want to buy a 3.5mm to RCA cable, Do RCA cables matter ?

I am looking at these two cables:

https://a.co/d/a1t1FqQ

https://a.co/d/izJ1CYX

Which one should I go with ? Are there other cables in the same price range that I can purchase ? (I need a 3.5mm to RCA cable that is shorter than 0.5 meter)

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nope. But monoprice construction is more robust

OP
LegionOfHell

LegionOfHell

The Monoprice one has tight RCA grips ? it could damage the RCA jacks ?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I've never had a problem with Monoprice cables. Amir didn't like some Monoprice cables he tried... Maybe too stiff?

You can get a better deal if you order directly from Monoprice, but shipping may be cheaper (or free) from Amazon. Since they are so inexpensive that I usually order extra so I'm not paying more for the shipping than the cables...

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Monoprice one has tight RCA grips ? it could damage the RCA jacks ?
Only if the female RCAs in your appliance are flimsy/poorly reinforced.

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My favorite wire for rca is Gotham Gac-1 Ultra Pro. Flexible, robust and insane shielding, no directional bs.

3125b

Major Contributor
Really doesn't matter if a few conditions are met:
- RCA is an unbalanced connection, it can pick up EMI noise, buy a reasonable length and run it in a reasonable manner if possible not right next to mains cables.
- The plugs need to make good contact, if they sit too lossely or there is corrosion or dirt present this can cause clearly audible issues or intermittent faults..

With that in mind I never had audible issues with any cable, be it new and fairly good (like Cordial) or 80's zipcord.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had good luck with Amazon Basics XLRs, although I've never tried RCA cables.

AudiOhm

The first cable you listed has better bling, other than that, both will sound the same...

Ohms

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't recommend BlueJeans' RCA unless you can tolerate a very inflexible cable. Their XLR cables are wonderful though.

radix

Major Contributor

morpheusX

You can even ask any audio store to build them for you, using any quality mic cable and Neutrik/Rean plugs:

For example, to "clone" Rega cables, you just need:
- Klotz AC110: https://shop.klotz-ais.com/pub/Graphics/Spezialseite/AC110SW_e.pdf
- Rean plugs: https://www.rean-connectors.com/en/product/nys373-1

An old tutorial (no need to use the neutrik profi connectors, the rean are more than enough):

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I want to buy a 3.5mm to RCA cable, Do RCA cables matter ?

https://a.co/d/izJ1CYX

Which one should I go with ? Are there other cables in the same price range that I can purchase ? (I need a 3.5mm to RCA cable that is shorter than 0.5 meter)

I owned this specific Monoprice Cable. It is the worst Y adapter I have owned, and I tossed it. The RCA end is not at all snug, it literally falls out of the Nobsound/Wiim/Fosi devices I attached it to. It could not be easily bent to tighten... This problem is made worse because the jacket over the cable is unnecessarily thick and stiff/not flexible, so positioning/plugging the 3.5mm end frequently resulted in one of the RCA plugs being disconnected. The stiffness meant it was hard to position lightweight devices like the Wiim Mini. I could not move the equipment slightly without one of the RCAs becoming unplugged. Short Y cables should be flexible.

Your other option looks fine to me. I have used several very similar "CableCreation 3.5mm to RCA Cable" 1.5ft and they were all fine. They may not offer that length in Canada.
Amazon Basics 3.5mm to RCA are extremely well made, but I do not think they make a short one.

Reactions: esm

DSJR

Major Contributor
I've had good luck with Amazon Basics XLRs, although I've never tried RCA cables.
I have an Amazon Basics RCA (encase it in mesh, fit foo plugs and it could sell for hundreds out there in audiophile land) and also a set of 3.5 to twin RCA. It's not as chunky as the RCA to RCA cable, but it's flexible, should be ok if not abused and as I didn't set out to 'listen' to it, I found the recordings came through unscathed regardless ;) Both fine for me although many of my cables are Van Damme based. All in the mind methinks :D

esm

Forum Donor
I've had problems with that specific Monoprice RCA design; if you'll note in the second picture, I've had cases where those little cut tabs will break off even with minimal reinsertion. The point where it snaps is right at the base, and looking at it closely makes it look like a weak cast piece rather than just bent sheetmetal.

Failure rate was eventually 100% once they'd been reused a few times, and no, I'm not removing these with a screwdriver or something. ;)

Anyway, just a single data point, but I won't buy them again.

Top Bottom