• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bass shaker amplifier

eviltailor

I'm thinking about testing a bass shaker with my 2.0 setup. Most likely Dayton Audio BST-2 or BST-1. My Denon PMA-600NE amplifier has a RCA sub pre out with 100 Hz low pass. I need a separate amplifier for the bass shaker. I'm just testing whether I like the bass shaker or not so I dont't want to spend much money.

I was looking at Nobsound NS-03G https://a.co/d/gZtOh8d, but should I get an amplifier with an adjustable low pass? I don't want the shaker to do it's thing all the time. Only in those special moments in movies.

Nobsound G2 https://a.co/d/cKMSwS2 would have adjustable low pass, but the inputs really confuse me. If it is an sub/mono amp then why is there both left and right inputs? How would I connect my one sub pre out RCA to this?

Do eirher of these look good for me? Better suggestions?

Last edited:

kyxap

Hey, what did you get? I’m looking for cheap amp for bass shakers

CaptaiNiveau

I'm also searching for a good one. The Monacor SAM-300D seems to be a solid one for this purpose, if you want to have a lot of headroom.

Will report back in a few months when I've set this up (or hit me up to make me report back :D)

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
if you want to have a lot of headroom.
You're probably better off NOT to have "excess power" in this situation. You might not notice clipping/distortion and you might burn-out the shaker.

...This isn't the same thing, but there's an old JBL paper that recommends speakers in guitar amps (where the amp is likely to be driven into distortion) be rated for twice the amplifier power. Or if you have highly-dynamic program material where you'll only occasionally hit a peak (live music or classical music, I assume), you can reverse that and use an amplifier with twice the speaker's rating.

CaptaiNiveau

Fair enough. I'm looking for the Dayton Audio BST-300ex which are able to take those 300W.
For smaller Shakers, this really is an issue. I saw a lot of people on simracing forums complaining about blown out shakers.
Most likely they just drove them too hard, as you've said.

So, watch out for your shakers and don't overdo it!

Stiffmeister

Fair enough. I'm looking for the Dayton Audio BST-300ex which are able to take those 300W.
For smaller Shakers, this really is an issue. I saw a lot of people on simracing forums complaining about blown out shakers.
Most likely they just drove them too hard, as you've said.

So, watch out for your shakers and don't overdo it!
About to buy the 300ex as well. I have a spare Crown XLS 1502 power amp. will that be overkill? A 12v trigger would be nice to have

CaptaiNiveau

Depends on how many 300EXs you want to drive. I'm also fairly new to this, but I think you can run at least two of them per channel with that amp.
Don't overdo the volume setting, as that can kill the shakers. These are able to handle a lot more than the smaller ones, however, so you should do some testing.

It'll take another month for me to get the 300EXs, as they're currently sold out at the only shop in Europe and will be restocked end of February.
In the meantime I found the Behringer NX6000D used for 330€, which is probably even more overkill.
The overkill is useful to me though, as I might use it in the future to run a HoverEzE setup.
Also need to mod its fans to make it silent, as its stock fans are supposed to be really noisy.

Stiffmeister

Depends on how many 300EXs you want to drive. I'm also fairly new to this, but I think you can run at least two of them per channel with that amp.
Don't overdo the volume setting, as that can kill the shakers. These are able to handle a lot more than the smaller ones, however, so you should do some testing.

It'll take another month for me to get the 300EXs, as they're currently sold out at the only shop in Europe and will be restocked end of February.
In the meantime I found the Behringer NX6000D used for 330€, which is probably even more overkill.
The overkill is useful to me though, as I might use it in the future to run a HoverEzE setup.
Also need to mod its fans to make it silent, as its stock fans are supposed to be really noisy.
Thanks for the reply. You’re probably looking at soundimports. Audiophonics expects to have them in stok at the end of this month/beginning of february and is 10€ less expensive

CaptaiNiveau

Oh, that's great news, thanks! I'll have a look if it's worth it to order from Germany/the Netherlands.

Regarding your amp: It's actually quite well suited for this job, as it's also got a DSP which is definitely needed for optimal results.
There's a good guide on simplehomecinema explaining how to do a good job at EQing these beasts.

Stiffmeister

Oh, that's great news, thanks! I'll have a look if it's worth it to order from Germany/the Netherlands.

Regarding your amp: It's actually quite well suited for this job, as it's also got a DSP which is definitely needed for optimal results.
There's a good guide on simplehomecinema explaining how to do a good job at EQing these beasts.
Will look into this article. Good luck with your project!

CaptaiNiveau

Same to you!
I just took a look and it seems they do ship all over Europe, eating away the small savings but I guess I won't complain about that :)

I'll report back once there's news.

CaptaiNiveau

1705938390776.png

Hm, on the site it said 30.01.-06.02.24.
I'll contact them and ask which one is likely correct.

I've also ordered the other parts needed and am looking forward to implement this in my systems :D

tabenny

I have 2 bst-300ex shakers. I tried one Fosi stereo amp, but power supply came with that amp was not bringing enough power. For all cheap amps, power supply makes the difference. For most of them 48v/10A or 48v/5A are needed to provide the power given in specs.

I am currently using an old denon receiver as the amp and it works. I have ordered a low pass filter to cut anything about 50 Hz. Used receivers are very cheap too.

CaptaiNiveau

A few days ago they told me that the shipment was delayed by 2 weeks.
Today they sent me a notification that my order has been shipped.
I'm a bit confused and hope that it's actually going to work out, but it'd be great if it does.

Top Bottom