• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which USB charger should I purchase for these devices ?

LegionOfHell

These are the units:

Douk Audio U3
Creative G6
SMSL SU1
Sabaj PHA2

Which USB charger brand should I purchase for these ? Amazonbasics, Anker, Samsung or Ugreen ?

out of these:

Ugreen
UGreen2
AmazonBaics
Anker
Anker2

which one is the best ? any recommendations ?

Last edited:
OP
LegionOfHell

LegionOfHell

so you're saying monoprice ones are better ? have lower noise ?

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have these in the For Sale listing here. The Samsung were rated as high as the Apple, so I bought a lot of 60 and tested them on a USB volt meter to make sure they hit over the rated power. There's also a link in there to the site where they measured against like a dozen others. Fake Apple ones are around, but there is a USB volt meter than can tell, I just went with the Samsung since they were never counterfeited.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
so you're saying monoprice ones are better ? have lower noise ?
Better price, I doubt anyone has done reviews on USB wall chargers, so not sure anyone could give informed advice on them
(but if someone points out to me reviews on them, please post the link)
Could also be that several different brands of USB wall chargers could come from the same factory.
With Monoprice I usually would buy 2 wall chargers, just in case one is defective.
Cheaper than buying two from Amazon.

OP
LegionOfHell

LegionOfHell

Some chargers support multiple voltages ... like my Samsung charger supports both 5V and 9V ... is it safe to use it with my SMSL SU1 for instance which requires 5V ? will the charger operate at 5V or 9V ?

gino1961

Hi I am very interested to find a USB power solution for my SMSL PS100 (I am using the toslink input )
I have tried all the USB chargers I have at hand and I have been shocked by the noise with no signal at the input and the volume cranked up (I am listening with headphones and my headphone rig is quite noise free)
I have lost hope to use a smps unit
But 5V linear Power supplies specific for audio are quite expensive
I am thinking to buy a cheap 12V bench linear power supply and add a voltage regulator to step the voltage down to the needed 5V

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
thumbs-up.png

JSmith

Vladetz

Ugreen is very good

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So the Ugreen CD161 in your initial post got a recommendation and very low noise was measured.
Some chargers support multiple voltages ... like my Samsung charger supports both 5V and 9V ... is it safe to use it with my SMSL SU1 for instance which requires 5V ? will the charger operate at 5V or 9V ?
I don't know but I assume if the charger doesn't receive a handshake from an intelligent appliance (typically a phone) it sticks to 5V charge.. (?)

OP
LegionOfHell

LegionOfHell

I already have a Samsung and a LG charger, Should I purchase additional ones ? Do I get any benefits by purchasing better chargers than I already have ?

Does it matter if I use a very cheap charger bought from a dollar store ?

Will there be a significant improvement in sound quality if I buy more expensive chargers ?

Last edited:

twsecrest

I already have a Samsung and a LG charger, Should I purchase additional ones ? Do I get any benefits by purchasing better chargers than I already have ?

Does it matter if I use a very cheap charger bought from a dollar store ?

Will there be a significant improvement in sound quality if I buy more expensive chargers ?
I would expect that Samsung and LG (Lucky Goldstar) make fairly good USB wall chargers.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i'm a bit paranoid... i would rather go for any 1-2a famous brand phone chargers

ie. not anker or who flung do chargers but samsung lg motorola apple etc.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No- reliability and compatibility are what you need.
Did none of these devices come with one? If they did, use that.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
its common now that type-c devices do not come with chargers, thanks apple

you are supposed to hang them off pcs or you have drawers full of chargers anyway

escape2

I have these in the For Sale listing here. The Samsung were rated as high as the Apple, so I bought a lot of 60 and tested them on a USB volt meter to make sure they hit over the rated power. There's also a link in there to the site where they measured against like a dozen others. Fake Apple ones are around, but there is a USB volt meter than can tell, I just went with the Samsung since they were never counterfeited.
Some of the devices on OP's list require more current than what this Samsung adapter is rated for.

escape2

The charger will deliver whatever voltage the device asks for.

escape2

This applies to mobile phones, are you sure the same applies to DACs?
It's a common protocol - a charger will not just dump the highest voltage it can deliver to a device. It will start with the lowest voltage it can support (which is 5V in this case), and it will wait for the device to ask for higher voltage. If the device never asks, the charger will stay at 5V.

Top Bottom