• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Seeking advice on choosing an amplifier/DAC

Rtx

Currently using Marshall Woburn II in a stereo pair via the Marshall app. The speakers are primarily used for Bluetooth streaming (FLAC, Spotify, or Apple Music, TuneIn) and occasionally for watching movies and concerts on the TV (currently using a 3.5mm splitter into two RCA cables).

Encountering an issue when connecting the TV because I need to disconnect the speakers (stop the stereo connection) in the app to use RCA input in each speaker, which is inconvenient. I am looking for an amplifier & DAC with proper stereo sound separation through an optical TV connection while maintaining the ability to stream via Bluetooth and subscribe to music services. Will Wiim Pro be suitable for this? Or should I consider another DAC?

As I am not an expert in this matter, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi @Rtx! Welcome to ASR.

Take a look at the WiiM Amp.
It combines everything in one convenient box:
DAC, Amp, Streaming services, Bluetooth, DSP

It even has an HDMI ARC input, which is great if your TV supports it as you can continue using the TV's remote for controlling volume.

In contrast, using Toslink out usually locks the TV's volume to 100%, forcing you to use yet another remote for volume control.

OP
R

Rtx

Hi @Rtx! Welcome to ASR.

Take a look at the WiiM Amp.
It combines everything in one convenient box:
DAC, Amp, Streaming services, Bluetooth, DSP

It even has an HDMI ARC input, which is great if your TV supports it as you can continue using the TV's remote for controlling volume.

In contrast, using Toslink out usually locks the TV's volume to 100%, forcing you to use yet another remote for volume control.
Unfortunately, the TV does not have an HDMI output. I was thinking about the Wiim Amp, but it's about twice the price, so I was wondering if it would be worth it for my setup.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Unfortunately, the TV does not have an HDMI output. I was thinking about the Wiim Amp, but it's about twice the price, so I was wondering if it would be worth it for my setup.
It's the twice the price because there's a built-in Amp.

With the WiiM Pro, you'd have to purchase an Amp separately.

Btw, HDMI ARC ports are usually labeled as inputs as well.
Just because your TV doesn't have a clearly labeled HDMI output, does not mean that it doesn't support ARC.

Reactions: Rtx

rj2wells

It's the twice the price because there's a built-in Amp.

With the WiiM Pro, you'd have to purchase an Amp separately.

Btw, HDMI ARC ports are usually labeled as inputs as well.
Just because your TV doesn't have a clearly labeled HDMI output, does not mean that it doesn't support ARC.
A big downside of the wiim amp is that it has no line-out / pre-out other than the sub-out. So you can't send the signal to anything else, except a sub, or LR speakers.

Usually when people buy these little amps they are thinking about a system that they can gradually upgrade. Hard to do that with the wiim. I'd get a wiim mini plus Fosi/Aiyima amp to have more long term options. Add a DAC if you really need.

ETA - Wiim pro $150 -> Fosi v3 / Ayima A07 Pro $80 and add optional SMSL su-1 DAC $80 all in $310, but you might find it's good enough at $230 without the DAC, and if you don't need the optical in on the Wiim Pro and can live with Aux In from the TV then a Wiim mini is good enough, chop another $60 off the price.

Last edited:
Top Bottom