• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do NCore have buzzing noise?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Sometimes is as simple as rotating the mains plug to the wall in the countries that allow you to do it.
That's the right way it should be,one must always check for it:

Polarity.png

A long shot but it works sometimes (same goes with all devices after checking with the manufacturer,some of them even report it in the back.

StigErik

Forum Donor
All Hypex SMPS are Class 2 devices, meaning that they are not connected to ground, and have no reference to which pin is Live or Neutral. That trick will do nothing.

Sokel

Master Contributor
All Hypex SMPS are Class 2 devices, meaning that they are not connected to ground, and have no reference to which pin is Live or Neutral. That trick will do nothing.
I admit I didn't know that,thought it like new icePower ones,which are clearly defined.

Mains.PNG

Edit: it seems I'm right about Hypex too:

Mains hypex.PNG

But only in that kind of modules,plain SMPS are how you describe.

Last edited:

Chaos01

Hi, thanks for your replys,
i dont think that the cabling was wrong, but i didn't wanted to test it because of warranty, from outside at the air slot it looked like it was correct cabled... would it damage the unit with changing neutral and phase?

I just could sendet the unit back, audiophonics has great support and costumer service! Maybe i will try other class D later.
I read in a other forum that all SMPS PSU make that noise, but some over 20kHz so inaudible and some under 20KHz so audible fore some people, the reason described was: "decreasing the input voltage needs to increase in switching speed of the choper So that the audioble noise comeout" and that also in idle with no music played.

So do your Class D/ Hypex Units (the (SMPS) PSU) make this noise? Best proof it with measurements from a app.

Lost the trust in the Hypex MP Modules with PSU on same bard... Looking for the Topping pa7 plus or a 3 E Audio amp, great performance for less money, or spend more for a Apollon NCx500 but dont know if its overkill for me, i also could live withe the Cinema 50 :D

Xcaliber

Would power conditioner help reduce or eliminate coil wine or buzzing from these Ncore amps at all?

Haven't heard anybody complain about noise issue from the newer Purifi, Nilai or NCx500 running on separate PSU thus far.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Would power conditioner help reduce or eliminate coin wine or buzzing from these Ncore amps at all?

Haven't heard anybody complain about noise issue from the newer Purifi, Nilai or NCx500 running on separate PSU thus far.
I have lotsa experience servicing SMPS PWM circuitry and the toroidal and conventional transformers used in them. The transformers resonate at the frequency of the PWM square wave @ the primary and that is stepped up in voltage @ the secondary. There is considerable energy there and if the transformer is not dipped well in the varnish that binds it all together then vibration occurs significantly such that one can hear it if it is below ~20 k Hz. Some SMPS operate ~20 k Hz+ PWM others at about 50 k Hz+ PWM and high speed ones up to maybe 700 k Hz PWM. The resonating of the transformers occurs in pretty much any electronic device and it is a product of design and quality of assembly of the part. A power conditioner will not alleviate this issue.

Top Bottom