• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do CD players sound different to each other?

dorakeg

CD players 20 years ago were usually audibly transparent. The tech has improved (cheaper, smaller, better numbers), yes. But if they were already audibly transparent 20 years ago, then all they are now is even more audibly transparent. In other words, they sound the same.

Yes, it's possible for different CD players to have audible signatures. But why would they do that? Doing so would mean purposefully messing up the design and altering the frequency response away from flat, or adding noise/distortion when it is unwanted. Any competent designer avoids those mistakes.

Now, on the other hand, the marketing team will take those designs and come up with all sorts of colorful prose telling customers why the more expensive players are better.

What is audibly transparent and how do you define it? What kind of measurements will differentiate between an audibly transparent and one that is not?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is audibly transparent and how do you define it? What kind of measurements will differentiate between an audibly transparent and one that is not?

Recap of thresholds
Lenient

Dynamic range, linearity: 96 dB
THD, IMD: -66 dBFS / 0.05%
Noise: -85 dBFS / 0.005%
SINAD: 85 dB
Crosstalk: -60 dBFS
Jitter: -110 dBFS, -100 dBFS around the main tone
Frequency response: ±0.5 dB
Channel balance: 1 dB
Output impedance: 2 ohms

Strict
Dynamic range, linearity, SINAD: 120 dB
THD, IMD, noise, crosstalk, jitter: -120 dBFS / 0.0001%
Frequency response, channel balance: ±0.1 dB
Output impedance: 0.16 ohms

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thnks for the info!! I didn't know there are such modes in Marantz players!

These modes were really only available in the SA-7s1 and SA-11s2 since they were the right window of time before the 2008 global economic downturn. These are the only known examples of products using Seiko DACs as well.

They have no USB input so you pretty much have to use CDs you have or burn 16/44.1 files on your own. They do not read DSD disc, so you cannot simply burn DSD files on your own.

They are glorified auto-adaptive tone controls. But here’s the thing. That is exactly what’s great about tube amps and filter 2 in the SA-11s2 or SA-7s1. They are non linear, better than you or I can do to dynamically play with EQ.

Everything tells you this is stupid. And it would be if it’s your only source. But somehow it can be very enjoyable especially with lower quality recordings where you like the artistic content but not the technical component.

What is interesting is that all of the different filter options for DACs are hard to hear. But filter 2 definitely sounds different than filter 1 and it makes sense because the ”distortion dithering” definitely reaches the level of audibility.

It is also informative to hear what 1 bit audio sounds like:
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...n-a-dbt-listening-test-rlj.36438/post-1278818

So the distortion that can be added with Marantz’s SA-7s1 and SA-11s2 paradoxically can sound good while measuring absolutely horrendously.

But again, it is essentially that this is user selectable. This is different from their receivers where you are forced into a specific digital filter or different from really poorly performing equipment that tries to brag about being premium.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes they can sound different. A marantz ki 17cd mk2 and a cd 63 se can sound quite different when level matched.

I'd imagine today's modern players sound much less different, assuming trying decent delta sigma dac equipped units of good build quality.
My first CD player (I was an early adopter on this) a MAGNAVOX/Philips sounded great. The next one I bought (a SONY carousel) was terrible. I still have never bought another SONY piece of audio gear. Later CD players (above the base ones, under $100-$200) sounded, to me, on my system, lesser that the $150+ ones. As to the ones over $200, if they were for individual CD's I could not tell any differences in sound. But features: yes. And for cars, all bets were off.

Last edited:

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
CDs are also becoming sort of obsolete these days.
Boy are they out of touch where I live. I can only think of a few people I know that do not have something that plays CD's.
And I can only think of a few people I know that stream music in their home (using a stereo of some type, not a TV [most don't have the things needed to stream with, me included].

JaccoW

Say what you will about Darko Audio but last week he polled his viewers and patreons:
Global Feedback: Do you still listen to CDs?
  • Youtube: 13,000 respondents
    • 49% Yes
    • 51% No
  • Patreon: 282 respondents
    • 59% Yes
    • 41% No
I still enjoy listening to CDs, especially since they offer great sound quality and are incredibly cheap to buy. Both second-hand as well as new.

One thing that does seem to become an issue is that higher end CD lasers and the mechanisms are no longer produced. So stocks will dwindle.
You already see this issue with certain SACD players. Once the laser or mechanism fails and needs to be replaced there are no parts anymore.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One thing that does seem to become an issue is that higher end CD lasers and the mechanisms are no longer produced. So stocks will dwindle.
You already see this issue with certain SACD players. Once the laser or mechanism fails and needs to be replaced there are no parts anymore.
I tracked down a PS3 to rip my SACDs to ISO. Not easy to find them, and I believe I paid around $500 in 2013 or so, when they were more plentiful than they are today.

Capitol C

wow! great job keeping it civil (on your side), I feel like that's a master class in how to deal with those types. I love how the one guy accuses you of "appeal to authority" fallacy, then a few posts later is like "I guess all the recording engineers are hearing things!" :facepalm:
One of my few virtues is a great enjoyment of irony. It's easier to be civil when you are having a chuckle!

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I still enjoy listening to CDs, especially since they offer great sound quality and are incredibly cheap to buy. Both second-hand as well as new.
Are you sure? Incredibly cheap?
In future, I think about some good CD player, and a lot of CDs with music.
How many? Circa 2000, 3000 CD. Of course new CDs. It's circa 30 000 Euro, plus minus. I think so.

JaccoW

I tracked down a PS3 to rip my SACDs to ISO. Not easy to find them, and I believe I paid around $500 in 2013 or so, when they were more plentiful than they are today.
You can do it with quite a few cheaper Sony blu-ray players. Insert USB with the script and run it over your home network. I picked up a cheap unit for €35 or so to do just that.
Are you sure? Incredibly cheap?
In future, I think about some good CD player, and a lot of CDs with music.
How many? Circa 2000, 3000 CD. Of course new CDs. It's circa 30 000 Euro, plus minus. I think so.
For most second-hand CDs you're still paying in the €1-2 range. Maybe €5 for the rarer stuff.
New CDs can be had for €8-15 most of the time. Vinyl is in the €20-40 range for the same album.

But gathering such an extensive collection is one you do over a couple of years/decades. I wouldn't even know how to store that many CDs right now.

formdissolve

Forum Donor
Note that most portable players that had a buffer (anti-skip) often highly compressed the audio, so you weren't getting full CD quality from those players anyways. At least this was the way it was with Sony/Panasonic/etc discmans that had upwards of 10 seconds+ buffer for anti-skip.

Adi777

You can do it with quite a few cheaper Sony blu-ray players. Insert USB with the script and run it over your home network. I picked up a cheap unit for €35 or so to do just that.

For most second-hand CDs you're still paying in the €1-2 range. Maybe €5 for the rarer stuff.
New CDs can be had for €8-15 most of the time. Vinyl is in the €20-40 range for the same album.

But gathering such an extensive collection is one you do over a couple of years/decades. I wouldn't even know how to store that many CDs right now.
Only new, I don't want Cds from second-hand. Years/decades? I don't think so. 2, max 3 years.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Ah, my illicit SACD-ripping knowledge is embarrassingly out of date.

My 2006 vintage PS3 is still going strong!

formdissolve

Forum Donor
To say there is no difference is misleading and wrong. Why do you think Amir tests all these devices? I've had garbage Walmart brand CD players that sound like AM radio, most likely due to terrible DAC chip implementation and SINAD of 40.

But on an average CD player (boombox, etc) with a decent output I doubt the average person would hear the difference, or even care.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Say what you will about Darko Audio but last week he polled his viewers and patreons:
Global Feedback: Do you still listen to CDs?
  • Youtube: 13,000 respondents
    • 49% Yes
    • 51% No
  • Patreon: 282 respondents
    • 59% Yes
    • 41% No

Check with Audio Proz, Watertown, MA
This is the current first page of 5 of their CD parts:
Search Audio Proz

Audio Proz Service and Sales​

Currently Viewing:
CD Parts :

Search CD Parts
Search All Products
CD Parts :

Sort By :
(132 items in CD Parts Sorted by Price : High to Low)
<Prev12345Next>
Showing items 1 - 25 (Page 1 of 6)
CDParts.jpg

CDParts2.jpg

Pioneer PEA 1351 CD-R laser assembly​

Audio Proz Inv #: 40628​

for hhb 830,hhb850,fostex CR300

$ 220 Contact Us

Stanton C324​

Audio Proz Inv #: 52690​

cd transport assemblies, 3 available, new

$ 80 Contact Us

JVC XLV211​

Audio Proz Inv #: 40501​

No remote. No drawer; motor open. Has 2901 IC JRC. Basic, good quality machine. Plays difficult and damaged discs well. Good #7 cosmetic condition, very good #8 overall. Professionally cleaned, serviced, tested.

$ 78 Contact Us

JVC XC-N50 FOR PARTS​

Audio Proz Inv #: 60488​

DVD/CD Player. Excellent Machine, Remote, Component video/S-video out. Coax Digital out. Minor scuffing on top, Will not play CD, Good for DVD transport, #8+ condition.

$ 68 Contact Us

Panasonic SA-HT65​

Audio Proz Inv #: 62252​

(5) DVD/video CD/ CD changer, Multi channel DSP, Headphones Jack. *RSN311W64 H3 080319 Audio power pack* AMP OK, plays DVD, CD, Audio output OK, NO TOP COVER, for parts/Pieces. #8 condition Unit does work but not certain of long term reliability.

$ 60 Contact Us

We have been selling and repairing professional and consumer audio equipment for over 40 years. (Read some of our customers testimonials here).
We keep our database up to date with almost 10,000 items in stock. If you see a part number and a price, we have that item in stock.

Customers outside of the US, please note that international shipping can be costly (US Post $16 minimum - up to 8oz or 226g). We are glad to combine orders to reduce shipping costs. Take a look at our shipping policies for more information and estimates of prices and shipping time.

Sony CDP-370​

Audio Proz Inv #: 50510​

Unit has high quality KSS 150 laser assembly. Unit has door issue, being sold for transport and electronics. Low use hours. Mechanics #9, Cosmetic #7, scratches on top and face.

$ 48 Contact Us

HARMAN/KARDON FL 8450​

Audio Proz Inv #: 59342​

Lense/laser assembly KSS-210A. Chassis KSM-2101 AAM. Complete unit with lense, laser, connectors and motors mounted on board. Motors are 2 Mabuchi RF-310T-11400 D/V 4.0 and D/V 5.9. Customer must reuse existing cable. Condition #9

$ 48 Contact Us

Pioneer PYY1113 laser​

Audio Proz Inv #: 50054​

Whole laser assembly with motors and sled/cable. Transport is marked "89." New in original box, tested once by AP.

$ 48 Contact Us

Tascam CD-355​

Audio Proz Inv #: 58534​

5 disk changer, Laser sled assembly test good / low use, complete all motors 0025961 . Unit has weak doorbelt functions well otherwise. Wear on paint around face plate. Basic cleaning. 7+ condition.

$ 48 Contact Us

Onkyo DV-CP500​

Audio Proz Inv #: 59148​

Complete transport. Includes motor RF-310T-11400. 9/10 condition.

$ 48 Contact Us

Harman Kardon FL8450​

Audio Proz Inv #: 55243​

Laser sled assembly, with all motors, etc. KSS-210A laser. Salvaged, tested OK, #8+

$ 44 Contact Us

We are presently operating on an APPOINTMENT ONLY basis. Please call us first at (617) 926-8020 to schedule an appointment before you come into the shop for repairs, rentals, product recommendations, consultations, or anything other than minor purchases.

AIWA KSM2101ADN​

Audio Proz Inv #: 58725​

Laser sled transport. 9/10 condition, pulled from low use machine, tested and in working condition.

$ 44 Contact Us

KSM213CDM​

Audio Proz Inv #: 60326​

CD Assembly. This is a complete sled, laser, motor, mech.

$ 40 Contact Us

Sony Lazar and Transport ASSY​

Audio Proz Inv #: 59119​

KSS-240A on complete sled table, all motors cable. 8/10 condition, tested, known low use.

$ 38 Contact Us

CD Mechanism whole assembly​

Audio Proz Inv #: 71242​

KSS-213B with frame/springs, show pictures of yours, this may be the exact replacement, low use condition 9.

$ 38 Contact Us

Sony​

Audio Proz Inv #: 59330​

Lens and laser assembly. Lens KSS-213B. Mounted on motor spindle board 1-656-581-31 w/motor spindle in tact. condition #9

$ 34 Contact Us

Sony​

Audio Proz Inv #: 55416​

Lazer assembly. A-6062-709A, # KHM-270AAA. Installed, tested. New. 10 condition.

$ 32 Contact Us

All Remotes are now 25% off or Free Shipping!!! (Reel to Reel remotes excluded).

Marantz CDR500 parts​

Audio Proz Inv #: 44581​

This unit probably needs a new CDR drive! Professional rackmount dual CD player/recorder. Cosmetically like new, but not functional. Buttons for erase, record mode, menu/store, final, input, and cancel. WE CAN FIX/REPAIR UPON REQUEST

$ 30 Contact Us

Harman Kardon CDR-26 parts​

Audio Proz Inv #: 50299​

Parts unit, will not power up. was a working unit, sudden failure, Unknown condition, untested, may be good for parts/hobbyist use. CD transport probably easily salvageable.

$ 30 Contact Us

Tascam CD-RW900​

Audio Proz Inv #: 55966​

Has bad CD drive - TEAC CD-W58DB - too. All other functions work. Sold as parts unit, intact machine. NO cables, etc. Low use, light scuffs on top, #8+

$ 30 Contact Us

Teac CD-P1100​

Audio Proz Inv #: 59332​

Disc transport, complete with lense and laser assembly and motors. Sanyo laser. Transport #1NF7X35395. Motor boards A53501 and 4891-000050-001. #8+ condition.

$ 28 Contact Us

Laser assembly B0433547 SF-86​

Audio Proz Inv #: 55713​

Known low use, tested and in excellent #9 condition.

$ 28 Contact Us

Sony XA-10B 10-disc pack​

Audio Proz Inv #: 49646​

with blue levers. Very good #8+ condition.

$ 28 Contact Us

We are a very different kind of shop. To help ensure a smoother experience please read our letter about our current shop policies.
We keep our database up to date with almost 10,000 items in stock. If you see a part number and a price, we have that item in stock.

Customers outside of the US, please note that international shipping can be costly (US Post $16 minimum - up to 8oz or 226g). We are glad to combine orders to reduce shipping costs. Take a look at our shipping policies for more information and estimates of prices and shipping time.

Mabuchi Motor​

Audio Proz Inv #: 54191​

RF-310T-11400. With removable plastic pulley. Tested, lubricated.

$ 24 Contact Us

Motor MSN5D257A​

Audio Proz Inv #: 54200​

MSN5D257A. With removeable plastic gear. Lubricated, tested.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Only new, I don't want Cds from second-hand. Years/decades? I don't think so. 2, max 3 years.
Why on earth not. I'm picking up CD's from charity shops for around £0.50, sometimes half that - not had a dud yet. If I ever do, I'll simply consider it a (very small) donation to the charity.

DonR

Major Contributor
Why on earth not. I'm picking up CD's from charity shops for around £0.50, sometimes half that - not had a dud yet. If I ever do, I'll simply consider it a (very small) donation to the charity.
Our local thrift store sells them as well. They were 50c 2 years ago. $1 last year and are now $2. Lookout!!!!

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
CD players 20 years ago were usually audibly transparent. The tech has improved (cheaper, smaller, better numbers), yes. But if they were already audibly transparent 20 years ago, then all they are now is even more audibly transparent. In other words, they sound the same.

Yes, it's possible for different CD players to have audible signatures. But why would they do that? Doing so would mean purposefully messing up the design and altering the frequency response away from flat, or adding noise/distortion when it is unwanted. Any competent designer avoids those mistakes.

Ok, playing a bit of Devil's Advocate in an attempt to answer your question (in bold).

When I was putting together my earlier "audiophile" systems in the 90's I was able to try out quite a lot of equipment, due to friendly dealers and/or fellow audio buddies lending me gear (or just buying it second hand and trying it myself). I'd used my wife's early Sony CD player up until that point as my source and ended up buying a second hand Meridian 508.20 (released in '93). The impression I had is that it seemed to produce slightly more focus/density and texture to the sound than the Sony CDP. I eventually acquired the Meitner Bidat DAC as well, and there just seemed to be a subtle but distinctly obvious difference - there was something a bit more "see through" or "diffuse" about the sonic presentation of the Sony and Meitner vs the Meridian. (The Meridian had an audiophile reputation of sounding "a bit more like vinyl/analog" and I wasn't spinning vinyl back then much, but...yeah...my memory of the sound is that it had some of the characteristics I hear in vinyl on my system).

Anyway, as I mentioned earlier, being skeptic-minded even back then I did couple of blind tests (level-matched with voltmeters at the speaker terminals, helped with the test by my father in law, an engineer and good with electronics), and it was a cinch to tell the Meridian from the Sony and Meitner Bidat DAC. It just had this slight extra texture and density to the sound that made things sound a tiny bit more solid and less see-through. A trait I have always sought in my sound systems.

So...it's up to you or anyone else whether to accept the account of the blind tests. But for sake of argument, presuming I heard the difference I thought, we move to "so why would any designer want a CD player to have an audible signature?" Well...perhaps some people may like that signature.
I did (apparently). Of course, if there was an audible difference maybe it was actually the Meridian 508.20 that was the accurate player and the other two less so. Dunno. But I did also acquire a Meridian 508.24 CD player - the next upgraded generation, wondering if I'd hear a difference. I did not test that one blinded though. But anecdotally: It measured very well in Stereophile (per JA) but it sounded to me more like the Sony and Meitner DACs - very neutral/transparent....but lacking that texture/density signature of the earlier Meridian 508.20. So I ended up selling the newer more expensive CDP to keep my older one.

So, there's one Devil's Advocate possible answer to your question. :)

Adi777

Why not second-hand records? Because I want to be the first owner. New is new.
Such a question for experts. What affects the sound of the CD player the most?
A user from the Polish audio forum wrote to me that the quality of the CD itself. I guess not silly, huh?

Top Bottom