• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac Live standalone for PC and Mac

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Thank you Kal for your help. I will be using the plug-in and standalone PC version with a Cambridge Audio stereo preamp that has a sub out selector to flat or 200 Hz. So are you confirming that this version of Dirac can EQ 2.1, using the preamp's sub out with a subwoofer?
I cannot because I do not use a 2.1 configuration.

markus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi Peng,

Kal has a preview version for testing purposes that has Bass Control using independent channels for the subs,
if you intend to test Dirac Live seriously with a 2.1 configuration you'd better wait for the Bass Control option to be available for the standalone Dirac Processor.
If you cannot wait you may use a 2.0 configuration with a crossover downstream of Dirac Live so that it will see the combined response of sub + main speakers

P.S.
We've been posting concurrently,
you can use two computers... concurrently as well :)

Didn't check but I'd expect that the trial will start when activated.
Regarding the miniDSP 2x4HD, I think that you can use it as is... as a crossover for the sub downstream of Dirac Live installed on your PC (a 2.0 configuration)
Dirac Live removes the room gain and our perception of bass depends on the listening volume:
so you may experiment with the following alternative curves with different bass boosts which can eventually be modified as desired:
Can you please stop linking the curves "youthman" took from my site without even giving any credits? Thank you.

P.S. Running DL upstream of bass management is a bad idea. Haven't we discussed that ad nauseam?

Last edited:
OP
Flak

Flak

Industry Insider
Really? Not the impression I get from all the discussion over at AVS Forums.
Oh, sure... you're correct as many AVRs and Pre/Pros have it already, but it's not available for our own Dirac Processor yet

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you cannot wait you may use a 2.0 configuration with a crossover downstream of Dirac Live so that it will see the combined response of sub + main speakers
Will the license for the current version be FW updated for free when the bass control option is available by year end?

OP
Flak

Flak

Industry Insider
Will the license for the current version be FW updated for free when the bass control option is available by year end?
No. it will be an option at an additional cost.
We have upgraded free of charge all Dirac Live licenses, from 1 to 2 and then 3, since many years ago (actually from day one) but new features/options need to be paid

Last edited:

Keened

Forum Donor
I'm sorry, not in the near future as far as I know...
:(

As the rest of the audio world converts to RPi4 and other tiny streamers you're going to be missing out on a larger target audience. But I get it, even Linus says it's a pain to maintain a package on Linux.

OP
Flak

Flak

Industry Insider
:(

As the rest of the audio world converts to RPi4 and other tiny streamers you're going to be missing out on a larger target audience. But I get it, even Linus says it's a pain to maintain a package on Linux.
I'm testing a working beta for the Allo Boss streamer but who knows what's gonna happen with it... so many concurrent fascinating projects :)

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We have upgraded free of charge all Dirac Live licenses, from 1 to 2 and then 3, since many years ago (actually from day one) but new features/options need to be paid

That's fair, hopefully they will offer a favorable upgrade fee (that's the only JRiver does it);), vs the first time buyer of the new version with the new feature.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Peng,

P.S.
We've been posting concurrently,
you can use two computers... concurrently as well :)

That sounds great! Just want I understand 100% correct, so you mean I install it in more than 2 laptops, or even 2 laptops and 1 desktop and only have to pay for one same license?

For me, I will always use one regardless of how many computers I have it install on because I am the only one using it, but you are saying I can even use it concurrently, so I can use it in one room, and another family member can use it concurrently in another room?

Does Dirac monitor usage via the internet?

Sorry to bother you on this again, but I cannot find the information on some sort of terms and conditions of use on the Dirac website.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you please stop linking the curves "youthman" took from my site without even giving any credits? Thank you.

P.S. Running DL upstream of bass management is a bad idea. Haven't we discussed that ad nauseam?
Markus. I did not know those existed. Thank you for your work here, I've downloaded them all and plan to compare them for my Dirac files. Thanks again.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't mind paying if the options add value. It would be nice to know, however, what those options are. I understand there is something following after DLBC. Could that explained on the website? Further, it would be nice to know when these options are planned to be rolled out and to which specific platforms. Finally, there should be a detailed tariff published for these options especially pricing specific to platforms they will run on.

A lot of the verbiage on the site is basically missionary sales, explaining the value of room correction in general, and Dirac Live in particular. Long time users really have no need to wade through that. They want to know where to go to renew and add to their licenses, where to find the help desk (and they want the hypertext right on the main site so it's an easy lookup), and they want to know what's available currently for both PC and hardware platforms, and they want pricing. And they want to be able to get to that information quickly and smoothly.

And Dirac's website does not seem to work that way.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I plan on doing it the way Flavio suggested, my pre amp has a suboff and can be set to low pass 200 Hz. Whether that's a bad idea or not I will soon find out. My speakers are sort of full range anyway so I think it would be fine to let DL EQ them with the sub as one. Your comment about "discussed that ad nauseam" sound interesting to read so I'll try to search for that discussion.

OP
Flak

Flak

Industry Insider
The new desktop version has just been released...

Capture3_3_0.JPG

Keened

Forum Donor

View attachment 199203
In 2.X systems where the subwoofers are orthogonal/off angle/off positioned relative to the fronts so you recommend measuring with the mic pointed upward or forward towards the fronts for this new algorithm?

OP
Flak

Flak

Industry Insider
In 2.X systems where the subwoofers are orthogonal/off angle/off positioned relative to the fronts so you recommend measuring with the mic pointed upward or forward towards the fronts for this new algorithm?
The mic orientation is relevant for the high frequencies only and in any case, we suggest pointing the mic to the ceiling (provided that the correct cal file is available)
My reasoning is explained here:

Last edited:

MickeyBoy

Forum Donor

View attachment 199203
Great news leading to two questions: (1) I'm running 3.2.2 with my NAD T758v3 AVR running and logged in, but don't see a prompt to l update to 3.3.0 (2) I dropped mu UMIK-1 and have to use the hockey puck mic that came with the AVR, but can't seem to locate the cal file on the NAD website or in any directory of the PC. I'm assuming it is a .txt file.

markus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The mic orientation is relevant for the high frequencies only and in any case, we suggest pointing the mic to the floor (provided that the correct cal file is available)
My reasoning is explained here:
Floor? The link doesn't explain how that could be beneficial. Or do you mean ceiling?

Reactions: CMB

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm testing a working beta for the Allo Boss streamer but who knows what's gonna happen with it... so many concurrent fascinating projects :)
While the idea of a 'Dirac OS' for ARM processors sound very enticing, I'm afraid if is this is going to be a closed-off client for a niche streamer with non-existent software support and a lot of legal grey areas then my excitement drops dramatically.

Keened

Forum Donor
Great news leading to two questions: (1) I'm running 3.2.2 with my NAD T758v3 AVR running and logged in, but don't see a prompt to l update to 3.3.0 (2) I dropped mu UMIK-1 and have to use the hockey puck mic that came with the AVR, but can't seem to locate the cal file on the NAD website or in any directory of the PC. I'm assuming it is a .txt file.
If it's anything like the other AVRs I think the calibration file is already loaded onto the unit and you just have to connect it to the AVR via 3.5 port (or a port labeled for mic measurements).

Top Bottom