• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac Live standalone for PC and Mac

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There's a standalone / drivers version for win 10 in arm architecture?

I want to use my raspberry with Dirac live (actually it's possible to install win 10 64 bits in raspberry). Even the called "mini pc" aren't mini as a raspberry :)

Martini

Forum Donor
As my fellow forumers likely know already, we have released a Dirac Live update for Windows which provides a virtual audio card (in addition to plugins) so that systemwide correction of all audio from the PC is available.
We are now going to release an update of the Mac version as well that will align it with the Windows version... if interested in testing it please open a ticket on the HelpDesk here:
https://confluence.dirac.services/display/DLS/Dirac+Live+Support
so that your findings and comments can be shared with the developers.

Thanks for your time :)
Flavio

Flavio, I tried the beta Mac Standalone and kept getting tics & pops from the speakers. They typically occurred when I would jump to a new song and within the first few seconds of the track playing. I suspect it is a buffer issue, but the Dirac website doesn't provide any good info on settings other then set them to 512k. Anyway, since I found that very disconcerting coming from my new speakers, so I deleted that from my Mac and purchased the stereo plug-in. I am still get the occasional pop, can you provide some guidance on how to correct this problem? I'm using a 2018 Mac Mini w/Intel i7 & 16gb ram. Plug-in host is Audirvana 3.5.x and I also have SoundSource to host system wide, but currently haven't implemented this... because it wouldn't work and I just wanted to listen to some music.

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As my fellow forumers likely know already, we have released a Dirac Live update for Windows which provides a virtual audio card (in addition to plugins) so that systemwide correction of all audio from the PC is available.
We are now going to release an update of the Mac version as well that will align it with the Windows version... if interested in testing it please open a ticket on the HelpDesk here:
https://confluence.dirac.services/display/DLS/Dirac+Live+Support
so that your findings and comments can be shared with the developers.

Thanks for your time :)
Flavio
Hi, I wanted to ask about DIRAC in a system wide setting in Windows using Roon via ASIO to a DAC:
1. What are the number of Windows 10 PC licenses allowed per purchase of DIRAC?

2. What's the best way to configure/use DIRAC for Windows with Roon in a PC connected via USB to a DAC...I mean does the DIRAC appear as a Virtual Audio Device with ASIO as a Roon end point?

3. In a 2.1 setup, would I need to buy a multichannel or stereo?

Thanks

TonioRoffo

Wow, OK, I'm late to the party but very happy with the standalone news.

I still run Logitech Mediaserver, and the only way to integrate a player with Dirac was a hack with Foobar2000, UPNP bridge in LMS, etc.

Now I can go back to squeezelite & the standalone solution - which I can run on a barebones windows machine.

Willing to push it a bit further even - running the player/Dirac on windows core - or even linux wine.

TonioRoffo

Questions - I'm now trying squeezelite-win (the logitech media server software player) into Windows WDM-KS "Dirac" device (can't get ASIO or WASAPI to work atm) into DIRAC processor set to "Windows AUdio (exclusive mode) and my NAD DAC drivers selected.

However - I have to force a sample rate here. Can't we make the processor output the sample rate which is being input? With Foobar2000 and VST I had no such problem as the sample rate output switches with whatever is being played back.

Thanks.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
2. What's the best way to configure/use DIRAC for Windows with Roon in a PC connected via USB to a DAC...I mean does the DIRAC appear as a Virtual Audio Device with ASIO as a Roon end point?
It should but I have not been successful in getting it to work. Others have (see Roon's Community website) by using ancillary software tools.

TonioRoffo

I got it to work (more or less) with a few issues.

* Need to use resampling at the source because I can only set a fixed sample rate in the processor - I'd like the setup so that the output sound device follows whatever sample rate is fed into the processor. I don't want to use windows resampling.
* If the sound device disappears while the processor is running, the processor chooses another output and I need to reset it manually. This should be fixed, I'm running a DAC which isn't always on and running

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I got it to work (more or less) with a few issues.

* Need to use resampling at the source because I can only set a fixed sample rate in the processor - I'd like the setup so that the output sound device follows whatever sample rate is fed into the processor. I don't want to use windows resampling.
* If the sound device disappears while the processor is running, the processor chooses another output and I need to reset it manually. This should be fixed, I'm running a DAC which isn't always on and running
Yeah, all that. I would not categorize the experience as "successful." Not a problem with JRiver as a plug-in or stand-alone.

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
I am intrigued by the Dirac standalone system for Mac. I use SoundSource and Audio Hijack currently, which are great as they support plugins, but they aren’t bitperfect because they don’t follow bitrate changes.

Is Dirac standalone for Mac bitperfect? (before filters are applied obviously!)

And can it also apply filters to incoming signals before routing them out again, e.g from and then to an AD/AD converter?

Last edited:

TC!!

I was considering buying something like a miniDSP SHD for my set-up, my only source for music is my mac and I run active speakers.
Can I get the same Dirac Live calibration just using this software running on my mac without any hardware?

If so what licence would I need to buy? I've downloaded Dirac Live 3.0.14 and Dirac Live Processor for Mac 1.4.0 but so far nothing asks me to pay or buy a licence.

Finally would I need a microphone like the miniDSP UMIK-1 or can I use the Dirac live iPhone App?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was considering buying something like a miniDSP SHD for my set-up, my only source for music is my mac and I run active speakers.
Can I get the same Dirac Live calibration just using this software running on my mac without any hardware?

Yes.

Finally would I need a microphone like the miniDSP UMIK-1

Without a doubt yes.

If so what licence would I need to buy? I've downloaded Dirac Live 3.0.14 and Dirac Live Processor for Mac 1.4.0 but so far nothing asks me to pay or buy a licence.

That's a bit strange, when you made your account did you enroll for a trial?

Anyway there are two options afaik Dirac Desktop license

1628588611797.png

There is also Dirac live for studios

1628588688468.png

I'm not sure what the difference is between the two, maybe @Flak Can share more info on this?

Last edited:

TC!!

Yes.

Without a doubt yes.

View attachment 146640

View attachment 146641

I'm not sure what the difference is between the two, maybe @Flak Can share more info on this?
Thanks for the quick response. I've ordered the microphone and it's arriving Friday.

I managed to find a link to download the standalone Beta. Using my basic usb microphone I was able to measure and export a calibration.
The exported calibration was available to use on the standalone Dirac Live Processor app and the SoundSource app.

Not saying what they produced was good but they definitely work and so far nothing is asking me to buy a licence.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes.

Without a doubt yes.

View attachment 146640

View attachment 146641

I think the Studio uses plug-ins on workstations (including PC's using J River), and Dirac Live Desktop uses a stand alone version of same. Ultimately, it makes no difference. I've been able to load both with my license, and could use either. The stand alone, however, is limited in the number of channels it can process with a multichannel license.

Music1969

Major Contributor
@abdo123 @sweetchaos @Χ Ξ Σ

The question about filter taps is a bit more complicated because the Dirac Live filters are not implemented as pure FIR filters.
Depending on which DSP it is, we either use a hybrid FIR and IIR filter structure or a dual-rate FIR filter structure.
But you can roughly say that our filter is equivalent to an FIR of length 500 ms, that is, 24000 taps at 48 kHz or 48000 taps at 96 kHz.
This has proven to be more than enough resolution to do room correction.
A higher resolution is not really necessary because the way the filters are designed limits the resolution (smoothing), otherwise we would risk to "over compensate"

The number of taps mentioned here is only specific to Dirac Live on PC/macOS correct? Where there is more power available than the other hardware Dirac is found on?

TC!!

I think the Studio uses plug-ins on workstations (including PC's using J River), and Dirac Live Desktop uses a stand alone version of same. Ultimately, it makes no difference. I've been able to load both with my license, and could use either. The stand alone, however, is limited in the number of channels it can process with a multichannel license.

Thanks for the feedback, so is the licence you have for the plugins which they call Dirac Live Processor or for the measurement tool Dirac Live?
I was able to run the measurement tool I downloaded with no licence and use the exported calibration via the plugins in SoundSource without a licence. That also worked in the standalone processor beta but I wouldn't expect to need a licence for a beta.

Maybe I've already started the 14 day trial without realising?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the feedback, so is the licence you have for the plugins which they call Dirac Live Processor or for the measurement tool Dirac Live?
I was able to run the measurement tool I downloaded with no licence and use the exported calibration via the plugins in SoundSource without a licence. That also worked in the standalone processor beta but I wouldn't expect to need a licence for a beta.

Maybe I've already started the 14 day trial without realising?
I think there is some kind of timer on it. IMHO it's expensive but worth it. One of, it not THE most effective, and definitely the easiest to use correctly.

The license buys you everything--the measuring desktop piece and the plugin.

TC!!

I think there is some kind of timer on it. IMHO it's expensive but worth it. One of, it not THE most effective, and definitely the easiest to use correctly.

The license buys you everything--the measuring desktop piece and the plugin.
Thanks, my only issue is whether I'd go for the software only version or a miniDSP SHD. I could use it replace my SMSL M500 and it would be able to handle the digital output from my TV. I only have a stereo set-up in my office, using a pair of Elac F51 active speakers attached with XLR, so it could work really well.

The microphone arrived early today so I can give the software version a proper trial now.

PurdueDeep

Forum Donor
Yup for more info for more readers. The home license comes with software that essentially is a shell for the plugin to live in. So it is the same.

PurdueDeep

Forum Donor
I'll post a thread on how things go. Setting up two Subs with a set of powered monitors with a single subwoofer out.

Another thread for dac with two outputs to two subs and a stereo power amp, then to speakers.

Dueprocess

I'll post a thread on how things go. Setting up two Subs with a set of powered monitors with a single subwoofer out.

Another thread for dac with two outputs to two subs and a stereo power amp, then to speakers.

Please do! I am planning on doing the same, but I'm still waiting on delivery of my amps, DAC, and speakers, so I haven't pulled the trigger on my Dirac license yet. I'd appreciate any feedback before sinking the $.

Top Bottom