• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac Live standalone for PC and Mac

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For me, the new Dirac Live app isn't working at all anymore. It says it cannot connect to the servers.
1649754926995.png

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is the new algorithm mentioned available in the plugin? I'm still hesitant to give up using SoundSource and having it host the plugin. It's such a handy little app.
If the new feature is used to generate a target curve it should be independent from the method of filter implementation, i guess?

OP
Flak

Flak

Industry Insider
Floor? The link doesn't explain how that could be beneficial. Or do you mean ceiling?
Yesss... my bad, I meant ceiling, thanks :)
(I've corrected my previous post)

Keened

Forum Donor
Yesss... my bad, I meant ceiling, thanks :)
(I've corrected my previous post)
I was also confused and spent some time wondering if it had anything to do with undirected floor reflections being more likely to reach our ears (since most speakers are closer to the floor than the ceiling and the angles would be wider and more likely to strike our ears on the first reflection rather than ceiling reflections which might bounce twice before reaching us. Or if the acoustically cluttered floor with tables, rugs, etc was more important to model than the typical 'plane' of a ceilings).

If you guys are looking for another project now that you have so much time on your hands maybe the next iteration can have a secondary calibration process where first you model what is required for neutral response and then you play various clips and let people A/B their way to preferred coloration/EQ.

MickeyBoy

Forum Donor
Great news leading to two questions: (1) I'm running 3.2.2 with my NAD T758v3 AVR running and logged in, but don't see a prompt to l update to 3.3.0 (2) I dropped mu UMIK-1 and have to use the hockey puck mic that came with the AVR, but can't seem to locate the cal file on the NAD website or in any directory of the PC. I'm assuming it is a .txt file.
Got the link to update to 3.3.0 this morning. Will contact NAD about the cal file for the T758v3 give-away mic.

txbdan

Does the new algorithm require us to re-measure, or re-load the filter at all? I'm currently using a filter with no manual target curve adjustments.

Thanks for sharing the news!

Came here to post the same thing. Do I need to remeasure or can I load an old project and just regenerate the filter?

Ciobi69

Came here to post the same thing. Do I need to remeasure or can I load an old project and just regenerate the filter?
read on their facebook page a response on a comment, and they said no you could apply it on the older measurements!

txbdan

Flak, can you elaborate on what the new algorithm does?

This isn't totally controlled because I didn't save my old flat tilt target curve from before, but I know how it should be and made it again (simple flat line from +3.5db at 20Hz to -3.5db at 20Khz) and created a new filter using my old measurements and my impression is that it's much more lively in terms of stereo effects. Not necessarily wider sound stage, it just much more dynamic with more space between voices. Maybe a little brighter/clearer, but that could be to an error in my curves? I doubt it though.. weird.

I'm listening to the new Father John Misty and new Destroyer.

XpanD

Forum Donor
For what it's worth... I've been hearing very little difference with my last measurement from about a month ago. I did have to drop it a bit as it wanted to boost the low end by 10dB, probably to track the high combined output of my speakers and subs? It seems to be trying to track the slope/character of my uncorrected measurements, but in this case it may have been a bit overzealous.

Being able to drag the shades around is a lot nicer for setting up good curves, though!

tuskenraider

So in an interest to improve the sound quality from my HTPC, I thought I would try Dirac with the 2-channel trial and JRiver to implement the room correction. Seeing I run audio through HDMI to my Yamaha receiver, I'm not sure what settings need to be "reset" to let Dirac do all the processing. I have set YPAO to "Through" to disable it. I assume I should set the speakers back to Large from the 40 Hz crossover I was using, but maybe not if I intend to go back to it? Or maybe measure at both if I can save two different profiles........Then there is the leveling, which was set by YPAO as well, but then I tweaked with my RS meter, as I trust it more. And lastly is the distance settings for the speakers. I run a 5.1 setup for HT, but this implementation is for 2 channel or 2.1 if I can pull it off. Should I set distances back to 0? Or is this a bad idea altogether.....

tuskenraider

Watched a few videos. It seems I should leave speaker distance and level calibration alone, and then run Dirac on the PC to do its thing. I can thing enable or disable as I see fit and can still just re-enable YPAO on the Yamaha if desired. I guess my confusion would be without a full channel license, and I ran a XO in the AVR for the 2 main channels, does the bass frequencies routed to the sub get corrected properly......

tuskenraider

So what I am seeing is that if I'm just running Dirac Live Processor, any of the audio options make me pick a bit rate to output audio, and keeps it at that rate similar to Windows DirectSound. If I select ASIO, the software errors out and closes. Anyone else experience this?

Noting above, installing Dirac software also broke REW ASIO in some manner and REW would just shut down after it launches. I had to uninstall both Dirac software and a random combination of uninstalling ASIO4ALL and REW to eventually get to it work normally before any Dirac software install. I eventually installed FlexASIO and that has gotten REW back up and running. I can finally take some measurements with Dirac Processor running and flip between correction files. After four tries, I can't prevent Dirac from biasing the delay of my left speaker and this shifts the soundstage in a bad way. I've disabled the delay option in the filter.

I'm also not finding this new tailored target curve feature.......

Last edited:

FANCI

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum, I find it very interesting, I use a HTPC for both audio and video, JRIVER player, the system is 5.1 multichannel, b & w 803 d front and 805 surround speakers, the avr is sr9600 Marantz multichannel and the fronts are bi-amplified, the sub a SVS 4000 closed case. the listening room is the living room. Since I installed Dirac several years ago I have had an incredible qualitative evolution, the money is better spent than ever, the thing I miss to completely complete the project is the management of the basses, at the moment I use JRIVER with "room correction" coupon the frontals at 65hz and conveying them to the sub and the central cut to 80hz conveying this also to the sub, the room correction is before dirac in jriver, I asked Flavio and the users if this way of doing is correct and if you can launch the measurement Dirac in such a way that it uses this bass management. I observed that while the frontals in Dirac's measurement move part of the signal to the sub, with the central this does not happen and I don't understand why .... I always asked Flavio if the dirac bass control could do a better job than this, I however I am available to eventually purchase the dirac bass control license, thank you all for your collaboration

tecnogadget

Addicted to Fun and Learning
DLBC? It has been available for a while but still evolving.
Exactly, evolving... but not available to the public :)
The preview version that you have is a testing version and non-complete but we expect that Dirac Bass Control for our own Processor for PC/Mac will be available during the last quarter of this year
It still eludes me how this could take you so long? DLBS at the start called "New Bass Management Module" has been kicking around since late 2018.

We are talking about basically a new feature to an already established suite from a big player, are really necessary +3 years of development and testing to intelligently correct the phase between independent channels and subwoofers?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
We are talking about basically a new feature to an already established suite from a big player, are really necessary +3 years of development and testing to intelligently correct the phase between independent channels and subwoofers?
Even before that, Dirac stated clearly that development of the Processor for PC/Mac would take a back seat to the embedded versions. Perhaps we should imagine a bus rather than a sedan.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It still eludes me how this could take you so long? DLBS at the start called "New Bass Management Module" has been kicking around since late 2018.

You seem to not know what you're talking about. So here is a link describing the evolution in question.

tecnogadget

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You seem to not know what you're talking about. So here is a link describing the evolution in question.

I may know a little bit more than you think.

This is what you have linked:
1651579311312.png

Ohh yeah November 2021...then pray to god its finished by 2025. And by the way, "Spatial Room Correction" is none other than the famous "Dirac Unison" project of 2016 or even earlier. Have a look of the very same graph from your link, but from 6 years ago...
1651579589182.png

1651579601758.png

Do they think that we, the users, are stupid? The internet never forgets. NEVER :)
They have been promising and hyping for years and underdelivering. That's a fact.

I don't want to get too conspiratorial, but I suspect that if they wanted to, you could have DLBC and Unison ready to go yesterday.

Attachments

• Dirac+Room+Correction+(Audio+Engineering+Society,+AES+Sweden+lecture)_compressed (1).pdf
    4.8 MB · Views: 61

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I may know a little bit more than you think.

This is what you have linked:
View attachment 204188
Ohh yeah November 2021...then pray to god its finished by 2025. And by the way, "Spatial Room Correction" is none other than the famous "Dirac Unison" project of 2016 or even earlier. Have a look of the very same graph from your link, but from 6 years ago...
View attachment 204190
View attachment 204192

Do they think that we, the users, are stupid? The internet never forgets. NEVER :)
They have been promising and hyping for years and underdelivering. That's a fact.

I don't want to get too conspiratorial, but I suspect that if they wanted to, you could have DLBC and Unison ready to go yesterday.
They were supposed to announce it at CES2022 but then it got cancelled so it was the perfect opportunity to delay it some more.

Davide

I honestly don't understand why they don't release bass control on the studio version yet. Technically there are certainly no reasons, I mean, it's already developed. Perhaps commercially... but I expect that in this case it is not to overlap with some other product they have in development.
But I'm afraid it's more likely that they are simply more busy on something else (more profitable).

However, the new target curve it is really pleasing to the ear, therefore happy to benefit from the fruit of their studies.

Top Bottom