• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac and similar

Krunok

Major Contributor
Its very important to understand what a room correction does. Its not correcting the loudspeakers- Its correcting the room !
The resonances between two surfaces. The floor- ceiling, walls .
If youre correcting frequencies say around 120 Hz, youre correcting wall-reflections that bounces coming FROM the loudspeakers. That means that you will only hear a corrected sound exactly att the listening position! 20 cm away from the listening position the frequencies that needs to be corrected are at another frequensy. This can easily be shown with a microphone.

It is very important to understand that room affects the sound heavilly up to the Schroeder frequency and moderately up to 500-600Hz. This has been proven with numerous researches and can be eadilly verified by measuring your own room.

Tangband

Major Contributor
It is very important to understand that room affects the sound heavilly up to the Schroeder frequency and moderately up to 500-600Hz. This has been proven with numerous researches and can be eadilly verified by measuring your own room.
But the result correction over 80 Hz will be wrong Im affraid. In a normal listening room- youre listening to mostly reflected sound from the listening chair. The correction made around schroeder are only correct at one single place. At all other places the sound correction gonna sound worse than without.

When you try to correct frequencies thats not resonances happening between two walls, the result at the listening place is going to be wrong.

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
On my system correction above 200 Hz was hit and miss. On some tracks it improved things, on some it went backward a bit. Overall, I could live with it but I decided to not go there.
Real improvements can only be made when youre correcting resonances in a room that happens between two surfaces- In a normal room those frequencies are all gonna be beneath 80 Hz, the first at around 72 -74 Hz if the distance between the floor and ceiling is about 2, 40 meter.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Real improvements can only be made when youre correcting resonances in a room that happens between two surfaces- In a normal room those frequencies are all gonna be beneath 80 Hz, the first at around 72 -74 Hz if the distance between the floor and ceiling is about 2, 40 meter.

Can you lay out your training and expertise in this area? Always leery of new people telling us all how wrong we are.

Krunok

Major Contributor
The correction made around schroeder are only correct at one single place.

If correction is based on spatial measurements that "single place" is big enough.

At all other places the sound correction gonna sound worse than without.

In my case this is not true - FR was flatter thrughout the entire room but it is optimally flat at the LP. I don't think you can generalise like that.

Btw, can you post links to some research papers supporting your claims?

OP
W

Willem

Major Contributor
The Schroeder frequency depends on the size of the room. Below it equalization is possible, and corrects room modes (i.e. resonances at the room's major dimensions). Above that, equalization does not really work because the peaks originate in reflections rather than resonances. The Schroeder frequency of my listeng room is about 120 Hz, but smaller rooms can have Schroeder frequencies up to about 250 Hz. You are right that equalization is best in one listening position, but that single listening position is only very small at higher frequencies because the wavelength of the sound is so short. At low frequencies the correction works over a wider area, and all the more so if the measurement is spatially averaged. Using two (or more) subwoofers with equalization is an even better solution as it reduces the magnitude of both peaks and dips, and creates a smooth response over a much wider area.

OP
W

Willem

Major Contributor
It is really big (some 13m length). I used an online calculator with the room's dimensions as input. In reality it is even bigger than what I used for the calculation, because it is an open plan. My REW measurements also suggest that roughly below this frequency response becomes more jagged.

Krunok

Major Contributor
It is really big (some 13m length). I used an online calculator with the room's dimensions as input. In reality it is even bigger than what I used for the calculation, because it is an open plan. My REW measurements also suggest that roughly below this frequency response becomes more jagged.

And above 120Hz response is not affected with the mic position? I would like to see measurements proving that.

What is the width of your room?

OP
W

Willem

Major Contributor
The room is mostly about 4,5m wide, but sometimes double that, and 3.1m high. I don't quite understand the question about the response above 120 Hz. It is pretty smooth with quite low decay times when the curtains are half closed. The decor is modern and quite minimalist with huge windows but with large bookcases and curtains. A hard floor, but a large Persian rug. We are looking for a new sofa and we are planning on one that is a bit more absorbent, and to add a big pouf with cloth upholstering more or less in front of the speakers, because a bit more damping would be nice but I do not want to have technical room treatment stuff to mess up an elegant modern interior.

Krunok

Major Contributor
The room is mostly about 4,5m wide, but sometimes double that, and 3.1m high. I don't quite understand the question about the response above 120 Hz. It is pretty smooth with quite low decay times when the curtains are half closed. The decor is modern and quite minimalist with huge windows but with large bookcases and curtains. A hard floor, but a large Persian rug. We are looking for a new sofa and we are planning on one that is a bit more absorbent, and to add a big pouf with cloth upholstering more or less in front of the speakers, because a bit more damping would be nice but I do not want to have technical room treatment stuff to mess up an elegant modern interior.

Your room is not a typical room in any way. I would like to see multiple measurements taken from various position in your room supporting your claim that it has transition frequency below 120Hz. You are talking about room EQ yet you haven't posted a single measurement.

You should also understand that Schroeder frequency is not a brickwall limit so resonances are possible, but to a less extent, above it as well, up to 500-600Hz region.

Additionally, while resonances are manifested as peaks and while they present more harm to SQ, there is no law against correcting the dips as well, as long as you don't overdo it - personally I don't correct more than +12dB for dips in the region below Schroeder frequency.

Last edited:
OP
W

Willem

Major Contributor
No it is not typical because it is large and also has a somewhat atypical shape. Mind you, and I want to remain friendly, but the estimated Schroeder frequency was calculated from this site: http://www.acoustic.ua/forms/room-modes-eng.html It could be a bit different, but I am not imagining anything. The REW graph seems to confirm this. Beyond that, why are you interested in my room rather than the general principle on which we seem to agree? My room is not interesting for anyone other than me. The relevant point is that equalization only works well below the Schroeder frequency, and as I said, it works fairly well and, as you said about your room, over a larger area than was suggested. Even so, below about 100 Hz it is not as smooth as I would like, even though I am using the Antimode 8033.
I am now busy, but I will try to post a waterfall image.

Krunok

Major Contributor
No it is not typical because it is large and also has a somewhat atypical shape. Mind you, and I want to remain friendly, but the estimated Schroeder frequency was calculated from this site: http://www.acoustic.ua/forms/room-modes-eng.html It could be a bit different, but I am not imagining anything. The REW graph seems to confirm this. Beyond that, why are you interested in my room rather than the general principle on which we seem to agree? My room is not interesting for anyone other than me. The relevant point is that equalization only works well below the Schroeder frequency, and as I said, it works fairly well and, as you said about your room, over a larger area than was suggested. Even so, below about 100 Hz it is not as smooth as I would like, even though I am using the Antimode 8033.
I am now busy, but I will try to post a waterfall image.

Those calculators are for estimation pruposes only - the only valid way to conclude about the Schroeder frequency is to make multiple measurements in your room. But one more time - Schroeder frequency is not a brickwall filter - room will affect the frequencies beyond it as well, but from that point room influence will progressively fade away.

Waterfall image is irrelevant to this discussion.

OP
W

Willem

Major Contributor
Waterfall shows both levels and time. I am signing off from this thread because I dislike your strident tone.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Waterfall shows both levels and time. I am signing off from this thread because I dislike your strident tone.

So, asking you to present your measurements that prove your point was strident? Heh..

Tangband

Major Contributor
The Schroeder frequency depends on the size of the room. Below it equalization is possible, and corrects room modes (i.e. resonances at the room's major dimensions). Above that, equalization does not really work because the peaks originate in reflections rather than resonances. The Schroeder frequency of my listeng room is about 120 Hz, but smaller rooms can have Schroeder frequencies up to about 250 Hz. You are right that equalization is best in one listening position, but that single listening position is only very small at higher frequencies because the wavelength of the sound is so short. At low frequencies the correction works over a wider area, and all the more so if the measurement is spatially averaged. Using two (or more) subwoofers with equalization is an even better solution as it reduces the magnitude of both peaks and dips, and creates a smooth response over a much wider area.
Correct.
Resonances = between two solid walls in the room, or the floor/ceiling. In a real room there is no room-resonances higher than 80 Hz, unless you live in a very, very small room.
soundspeed is 34,3 cm in 1 ms. That is the wavelength of 1 kHz. You can now easily calculate the room resonances measuring the distance between the solid walls. No microphone is needed at all. There are only three major resonances in a normal rectangular room. Between front/back wall, floor/ceiling, and between right and left wall.

Last edited:

Krunok

Major Contributor
Resonances = between two solid walls i the room, or the floor/ceiling. In a real room there is no room-resonances higher than 80 Hz, unless you live in a very, very small room.
soundspeed is 34,3 cm in 1 ms. You can easily calculate what frequency a resonans gonna take place. No microphone is needed at all. There are only three major resonances in a normal rektangular room. Between front/back wall, floor/ceiling, and between right and left wall.

Sure. I wonder why room EQ software make adjustments based on multiple mic measurements instead on calculations based on room model.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Sure. I wonder why room EQ software make adjustments based on multiple mic measurements instead on calculations based on room model.

Divining rods work for me.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Top Bottom