• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac and similar

Flak

Industry Insider
I don't have a time-stamp because I listened to this while I was on the subway, but what I found interesting was Matthew Poes worked on implementing Dirac Live with NAD and claims that people most of the time couldn't actually hear a difference between full-range room correction and correction up to 200hz only with Dirac, in other words EQing the bass made so much difference in the sound that small differences in correction above 200hz were way too subtle for most people to spot (when using speakers that had a near perfect spinorama) . He also said you should gate the top of the correction to around 10KHz because most mics are completely unreliable above that frequency.

Interesting video but Matthew focuses on magnitude response only.
Dirac Live isn’t EQ only. The difference is all in the phase correction which he doesn’t talk about at all.
Also Matt is right about the spatial averaging on measurements. Dirac Live however CAN discriminate between the direct wave and the reflections provided that multiple measurement points are used. The plots are representing to the average but in the end you listen to the sound, not the plots.

Reactions: SIY

flaviowolff

Interesting video but Matthew focuses on magnitude response only.
Dirac Live isn’t EQ only. The difference is all in the phase correction which he doesn’t talk about at all.
Also Matt is right about the spatial averaging on measurements. Dirac Live however CAN discriminate between the direct wave and the reflections provided that multiple measurement points are used. The plots are representing to the average but in the end you listen to the sound, not the plots.

Isn't he implying that the overall thing, including phase correction, wasn't discernible above 200hz?

Flak

Industry Insider
Isn't he implying that the overall thing, including phase correction, wasn't discernible above 200hz?
Yes, that's what Matt implies but we don't agree that phase is irrelevant... up to the point of eventually compromising a bit the magnitude response of one channel vs. the other in order to get phase matching between speaker pairs.
The subject is discussed here:

Last edited:
Top Bottom