• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac Reviews

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Dirac Live gets a clear "A" from me, because I find it provides an optimal level of ease-of-use and configurability for the average user, while still capable of producing very good sounding corrections - but only if an appropriate target curve (which will mainly depend on loudspeaker directivity and how reflective the room is) and appropriate correction limits are selected (I usually only correct below 300Hz or so)!

The default target with full-range correction is IMO not always appropriate and can sound bass-deficient with some systems, while using full-range correction may produce over-processed sounding results. I've tested the basic Dirac Live on PC quite extensively while comparatively testing various DRCs (link to thread).

In the end I still prefer to use manual PEQ based on REW measurements, but that's only because I like to have full control over the correction.

direwolf08

I have Dirac Live in a SHD (MiniDSP) 4 channels out to poweramp/speakers and two subs. I find it outstanding compared to Audessy on a Denon receiver.

This is an "apples to apples" comparison as the speakers/subs are the front of my Atmos system. I switch line out to change system type, as other people here do.

I have been thinking about doing exactly this with a MiniDSP Flex and amp for my media room. Can you share what switch(es) you are using?

dmilller

I have been thinking about doing exactly this with a MiniDSP Flex and amp for my media room. Can you share what switch(es) you are using?

Davide

I have been using Dirac for a few years on a system initially 2.0 and now 2.2. I've gone through I think 4 speakers and 2 rooms with it.

My opinion is that to make a judgment you need to understand well what it does and how it does it.
It is not a tool that magically solves the negative effects that occur between the live performance and the sound wave that finally reaches our ears at home.
It simply does what a DRC can do... and the result, due to the complexity of the factors at play, including our brain, is not necessarily better from a fun, involvement and entertainment point of view.
I won't go into the merits of Schroeder, minimum phase etc.
In most cases I found greater timbral coherence, especially in the bass, while I often found a collapse of the sound stage (stereo imaging).
I believe this depends on how our brain interprets the reflections and the phase deviation between the not corrected and corrected system, as well as the effectiveness of the Dirac correction algorithm with respect to the listening area.
I also just noticed that different measurements in the same environment lead to different results in terms of stereo imaging.

In fact, as someone here on the forum suggested to me, a careful positioning of the microphone, as well as a quality microphone, produces a slightly better result.

Dirac currently has the advantage of having Bass Control and Active Room Treatment, which do an unsurpassed job in the low frequency and sub(s) integration. And this associated with ease of use.

All things considered, if I switch the correction on and off today, I notice a slightly less engaging sound in the mid range, but more natural and coherent across the full range. Especially at the low end, there is no comparison in tangibility and balance.

So I say that it does its job of making a more coherent sound, but that it doesn't necessarily produce a more pleasant sound.

Is it worth the money? DLBC and ART I'm not sure, but hifi is a hobby at heart and so value is relative.

slaweks

Forum Donor
Several people mentioned that they limit Dirac to below 500Hz, I tried this idea and I am happy with the results. I found that limiting Dirac to below 300Hz and applying BACCH DRC worked much better than allowing Dirac to work on the whole range (and then applying on top the BACCH DRC).

Flak

Industry Insider
Deleted :)

Last edited:

Davide

Question regarding DLBC if I don't have a sub now.

So, my main speakers are fully capable of reproducing bass. It's better than most subs. VMPS Supertower III. So, I have not added a sub and therefore have not used DLBC. However, since I'll be adding Dirac ART to my Denon AVR-x4800h when it's released, I may add a sub to take better advantage of ART.

Flavio at Dirac told me that they chose not to try to control large front main speakers with DLBC (as they originally had planned), and, usually, the program will try to bypass the front speakers by introducing a high pass crossover so they don't reproduce the bass.

However, he also told me that the crossover can be lowered to 20Hz, allowing me to use the fronts, although they won't be controlled by DLBC.

But what happens to the sub's crossover? If I set the high-pass crossover for my main speakers down to 20Hz, is this independent of my subs crossover?

Thanks
Bass Control from what I understand should primarily provide the integration between mains and sub(s), and better LF consistency through the combined use of them.
Whether it is also equipped with a more advanced algorithm for bass correction (example when used with 2.0) is honestly not clear to me.
Maybe you can ask for a demo license for two weeks and see the benefit yourself.

Top Bottom