• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Devialet Expert 200 Amplifier, DAC and Streamer Review

onlyforadv

Let me re-post this from Devialet Expert 140 Pro page (so the same product tested by Stereophile's John Atkinson):

Expert Pro is the world’s most advanced audiophile system, meant for music lovers in search of a refined and emotional listening experience. Designed to replace traditional Hi-Fi systems, Expert Pro delivers all the core elements of playback – preamp, amp, DAC, streamer, phono stage – in a single and ultra-compact unit. By rethinking sound reproduction at every turn, Devialet engineers have been able to achieve the best performance ever measured, at all power levels.

onlyforadv

I'm fairly certain the majority of devialet owners are not audio forum members so your ' knowledge ' in this case is virtually meaningless yet you present with absolute certainty.
How can you be fairly certain? any evidence? Or you just make it up again like other stuff you made up?

You and your absolute certainty is entirely bullshit

QMuse

Major Contributor
Let me re-post this from Devialet Expert 140 Pro page (so the same product tested by Stereophile's John Atkinson):

Expert Pro is the world’s most advanced audiophile system, meant for music lovers in search of a refined and emotional listening experience. Designed to replace traditional Hi-Fi systems, Expert Pro delivers all the core elements of playback – preamp, amp, DAC, streamer, phono stage – in a single and ultra-compact unit. By rethinking sound reproduction at every turn, Devialet engineers have been able to achieve the best performance ever measured, at all power levels.

Yep. And the fact is that in both measurements made by Amira and Atkinson Devialet amps didn't manage to confirm a single spec figure. Not a single one.. So much for "the best performance ever measured".

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Are you saying that all amps should be designed to have less power at HF as that would benefit SQ?
No, I'm merely saying that the argument can be made. Devil's Advocate etc.
That is simply not true as today it's not a problem to design and build an amplifier that will have cosntant power at all freqs.
The mere fact that we CAN build an amplifier to provide the same energy at 20kHz as 10Hz is not necessarily an argument for doing so if, in the opinion of the designer, a better sounding result can be achieved by NOT doing so. I'd bet a crisp $10 bill that, if Devialet is eventually cornered into giving a response to all this, they run an argument along those lines.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem here is the lack of full bandwidth power ratings.
If an amplifier company does not provide them, rest assured, there is a reason ;)

Here are the specification for the Devialet Expert 220:
POWER
2x220 Watts RMS under 6Ω
DISTORTION AT FULL POWER
0,0005% THD+N
DISTORTION AT 10W
0.00025% THD+N

Here are specifications for the Benchmark AHB2:

CONTINUOUS AVERAGE OUTPUT POWER
< 0.0003 % THD+N at full rated power, 20 Hz to 20 kHz
  • 100 Watts per channel into 8 Ohms, both channels driven
  • 130 Watts per channel into 6 Ohms, both channels driven
  • 190 Watts per channel into 4 Ohms, both channels driven
  • 240 Watts per channel into 3 Ohms, both channels driven
  • 200 Watts into 16 Ohms, bridged mono
  • 380 Watts into 8 Ohms, bridged mono
  • 480 Watts into 6 Ohms, bridged mono

- Rich

QMuse

Major Contributor
No, I'm merely saying that the argument can be made. Devil's Advocate etc.

The mere fact that we CAN build an amplifier to provide the same energy at 20kHz as 10Hz is not necessarily an argument for doing so if, in the opinion of the designer, a better sounding result can be achieved by NOT doing so.

:facepalm:

Plz qoute a singe credible source to support this "better sounding" nonsense or stop repeating it.

Also, plz quote any designer and his amp where it is clearly stated that such functionality was made intentionally by design in order to improve sound quality.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem here is the lack of full bandwidth power ratings.
If an amplifier company does not provide them, rest assured, there is a reason ;)

Here are the specification for the Devialet Expert 220:
POWER
2x220 Watts RMS under 6Ω
DISTORTION AT FULL POWER
0,0005% THD+N
DISTORTION AT 10W
0.00025% THD+N

Here are specifications for the Benchmark AHB2:

CONTINUOUS AVERAGE OUTPUT POWER
< 0.0003 % THD+N at full rated power, 20 Hz to 20 kHz
  • 100 Watts per channel into 8 Ohms, both channels driven
  • 130 Watts per channel into 6 Ohms, both channels driven
  • 190 Watts per channel into 4 Ohms, both channels driven
  • 240 Watts per channel into 3 Ohms, both channels driven
  • 200 Watts into 16 Ohms, bridged mono
  • 380 Watts into 8 Ohms, bridged mono
  • 480 Watts into 6 Ohms, bridged mono

- Rich
Note that the Devialet distortion spec at 10W is THD, not THD+N. It seems that noise swamps the THD+N at lower power levels on these products.

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Forum Donor
Lol. I mean you didn’t prove it’s broke by your test or you conducted in a improper way. Never see any review broke a Devialet, you just so lucky!! Aren’t you.

Anyway, you guys won, looks like you guys have a team here. Can’t beat you. Lol bye. And good lucky with your money hunting review.

I thought you'd left…
Or did you forget which alter ego you were supposed to be posting as ?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Plz qoute a singe credible source to support this "better sounding" nonsense or stop repeating it.

Also, plz quote any designer and his amp where it is clearly stated that such functionality was made intentionally by design in order to improve sound quality.

I think you're missing @Pluto's point...

QMuse

Major Contributor

Are you saying he's speculatig that what he said would be Devialet explanation, as like reducing the power at HF was by design in order to improve SQ? That didn't cross my mind as that would be a true suicidal statement.

QMuse

Major Contributor
Note that the Devialet distortion spec at 10W is THD, not THD+N. It seems that noise swamps the THD+N at lower power levels on these products.

No need to guess, looking at SNR at 5W you can tell for sure it is so:

Capture.JPG

Pluto

Forum Donor
Rather.
That didn't cross my mind as that would be a true suicidal statement.
Historically, ‘suicidal’ engineering concepts don't seem to have stopped many companies pandering to the audiophile market. If big D does indeed run such an argument, it is far more likely that it will become a mantra amongst les fanbois than an act of suicide.

QMuse

Major Contributor
Rather.

Historically, ‘suicidal’ engineering concepts don't seem to have stopped many companies pandering to the audiophile market. If big D does indeed run such an argument, it is far more likely that it will become a mantra amongst les fanbois than an act of suicide.

Well, I guess you might be right. As PS Audio has it's worshipers I guess similar crowd can easilly worship Devialets philosophy of optmising SQ.

Top Bottom